German documentary reignites sex tourism concerns for Thailand’s Pattaya

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Concerns are being raised about the potential damage to Thailand’s overall tourism market due to a documentary by German media organisation Deutsche Welle (DW),

Hmm, wonder if they will now do a program about the Thai coach death killing 14  and other mass daily roads deaths.

I think more people will be turned off by likelihood of death than a dose of the clap

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, bignok said:

Thailand should advertise Pattaya as the hooker and ladyboy capital of the world. Promote it. Have a hooker festival and a ladyboy festival every 6 months.

Isn't this report just that, a advertisement. :whistling: 

Felt

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

One of the most ridiculous points about blocking the documentary in Thailand is that foreigners from outside Thailand see it worldwide and if that's their desired attraction it only enhances that appeal to go there. Most Thai's (not the Hookers and Ladyboys) don't go there for the sex industry although they know it goes on and turn a blind eye cos that cash gets sent back home and they can claim little Anong's a secretary and makes good money for the family.

It has little to no affect in distracting tourism because it's known for being sexpat heaven and draws them like Bob to beer. Yeah some families may avoid it but the bulk of those going there aren't really going for the family outings.

My experience has been that people with high self-esteem are not always defensive and trying to hide truth, however the leadership here seems to suffer from major self-esteem issues and therefore are very defensive. The nationalism issue does not help either. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Most people across the world would think it is wrong, utterly.

But the only way they could fix it would be to bring in something as big as Disney. It would attract  Indian families, boost domestic demand and offer jobs to young Thai graduates.

That's a real Mickey Mouse, statement. 😂😅🤣

• Haha 1

Thailand damages its own reputation not those exposing it. From its treatment of street dogs to the exploitation of cheap labor to its insane driving death statistics to prostitution. Its not just Thailand where you can go to jail for speaking the truth. Japan has similar laws. Its called losing face. Suck it up. 

6 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

It doesn't, because Amsterdam has  some of the greatest museums  in the world, amazing scenery, which  turns into absolute beauty when the canals a frozen, incredible Indonesian food, etc..  The  RLD is just one small part of that, and  I often wonder if the girls in those windows have actual customers. A  whole city whose economy is entirely base on prostitution, be it Pattaya ofTijuana, is just gross, and shouldn't be seen in the civilised world.

Yes, some of the tourist entertainment areas, such as Walking Street, etc., a small part of greater Pattaya, are based on sex tourism, but to say the whole city's economy is 'entirely based on prostitution' is utter nonsense.   If that were the case, the entire city would have shut down during the years of covid.  It didn't.  Of course, many of the sex-based tourist businesses shuttered during that period, as well as other mainstream tourist businesses, such as D'Luck Theater, but the city, as a whole, did not. 

The malls stayed open.  Most of the big, major hotels catering to a diverse tourist demographic, including Thai weekend visitors, managed to open, after some initial closures.  The hospitals stayed open.  All the big box retail stayed open, including Index, Home Pro, and Boonthavorn.  New construction continued at a brisk pace, with new, big condo developments started and new, big hotels, such as Centre Point Space, catering to families, beginning construction.  Car dealers remained open, and a number of new brands set up shop.  Not too many sex tourists take a new car home in their suitcase. 

I moved to the Darkside during covid, moving from the beach area of north Pattaya, and what struck me the most was how this part of Pattaya was not affected as much by covid.  All the 7-11s remained open and were doing a brisk business, unlike the area I moved from.   The whole area was bustling, people going about their normal business.  I was surprised that, on the Darkside, even during covid, my spouse and I would have to sometimes wait for a table at our favorite restaurant.  New housing projects being planned and under construction.   Obviously, this area of town is not really dependent on the sex trade to keep businesses open.   Pattaya has grown into a large city, with an economy driven by much more than just sex tourism.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:
9 hours ago, bignok said:

Thailand should advertise Pattaya as the hooker and ladyboy capital of the world. Promote it. Have a hooker festival and a ladyboy festival every 6 months.

I think ever week be more appropriate. 

Actually Walking St has one every morning between 2 and 4 AM. Attended by as many drunks and reprobates as one could possibly imagine 😜

See you there?

Edited by VBF

The article does not mention the focus of the documentary, nor does anyone else, which was CHILD PROSTITUTION and the bar exposed for providing underaged girls, owned by a well known organisation. Just ignoring it, like this article does is not helping the situation at all, it needs exposing and people need to be arrested, no matter how well connected they are. This was filmed months ago as it was on AJ in August.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CDG931 said:

There is nothing wrong with Pattaya being a destination centered around the sex industry. What is disturbing is the hypocrisy of Thai society. And the unbearable repression of freedom of expression.

And they can censor the DW documentary if they wish. In the age of social media, there are no more secrets.

Actually, anyone with a VPN account is able to watch it from within Thailand. Thailand is mirroring itself on the Chinese masters! 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

This documentary is currently blocked in Thailand.

Says it all. It's not the documentary that is damaging Thailand's reputation, it's what is going on in Thailand that they don't want anyone to know.

Either own it or make changes, but don't shoot the messenger. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Marisa emphasised the need for improved law enforcement

Dream on ........
There is NO LAW ENFORCEMENT in Thailand and that will never be.
The RTP has other things to do (lining their pockets) as be your babysitter.

5 hours ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Surely the issue is under-age sex workers and the sex tourists exploiting this. What consenting adults do in Pattaya is otherwise their own business. 

Absolutely!  The whole point of this story is that the man in the German documentary was having sex with children.

Funny thing is, Thailand is one of the "cleanest" countries in the world. Virtually no sex for money outside a few blocks in Bangkok, Pattaya and Pukhet. Compare with South-America, where every small town has its own one or two well-known knocking shops.

Edited by JackGats
  • Haha 2

I haven't seen the documentary so can't comment on whether it is negative or just factual.

I do know that the number of prostitutes across the European Union's 28 members states ranges between 700,000 and as many as 1.2 million. In Germany alone, the industry is estimated to be worth $16.3 billion, according to Germany's Federal Statistics Office. This is in itself evidence that it is possible for a government to gain much needed revenue from the world oldest profession while reducing social stigma and disease - if the income is used wisely.

Pattaya is the region's sex capital and that is simply a fact of life. The Thai government can either regulate it and benefit or keep it informal and act offended. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

Funny thing is, Thailand is one of the "cleanest" countries in the world. Virtually no sex for money outside a few blocks in Bangkok, Pattaya and Pukhet. Compare with South-America, where every small town has its own one or two well-known knocking shops.

Nonsense…. you just made that all up. Literally just something that you put together off the top of your head and hugely inaccurate. 

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

You obviously don't get out much...silly statement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

You obviously don't get out much...silly statement.

I'm not a pensioner who's been stuck in TH on an unindexed pension for 3 decades. I travel around the World. I know what it means for a country to be one where prostitution is endemic.

There's no prostitution whatsoever in Kanchanaburi, Ubon Ratchatani, Petchaburi, Tak, Mae Hong Song, Buriram, Mae Sot, Nakhon Sawang, Rangsit, Nakom Patom, Lopburi, Surat Tani, Chumpong ... indeed in any mid- to small town in TH. This in itself is remarkable. 

In similar-sized towns in Brazil, Colombia or Peru, any taxi would drive you to a brothel in 10 minutes's time if you asked. You didn't because you never were there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I'm not a pensioner who's been stuck in TH on an unindexed pension for 3 decades. I travel around the World. I know what it means for a country to be one where prostitution is endemic.

There's no prostitution whatsoever in Kanchanaburi, Ubon Ratchatani, Petchaburi, Tak, Mae Hong Song, Buriram, Mae Sot, Nakhon Sawang, Rangsit, Nakom Patom, Lopburi, Surat Tani, Chumpong ... indeed in any mid- to small town in TH. This in itself is remarkable. 

In similar-sized towns in Brazil, Colombia or Peru, any taxi would drive you to a brothel in 10 minutes's time if you asked. You didn't because you never were there.

You don’t know what you are talking about. I mean you REALLY don’t know. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Surely the issue is under-age sex workers and the sex tourists exploiting this. What consenting adults do in Pattaya is otherwise their own business.

Well I sugest you visit TQ Thaiish Queen a gogo, I don't think you will find there a bargirl under 30 years of age

• Haha 1

The old claim "There is no prostitution in Thailand" is wearing a bit thin. That coupled with entry tax on top of departure tax and the threat of foreign income tax on anyone who stays longer than six months in a year does harm to all tourisism. If you add tour bus crashes, ferry sinkings, taxi scams, general rip offs and double pricing at government parks it's Amazing there are still any tourists.

I love all the predicted income forecasts we get from the various tourist comittees, do they throw dice to decide how may billions the latest brainwave will make.

Germany is close to Amsterdam, yet they do some documentary on Pattaya. RIght!

Many years ago Pattaya was just a small fishing village, and that was too boring.

I like Jontien beach at the south end of Pattaya, ore family oriented, lots of good restaurants 

as well. IMO

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, CDG931 said:

In my humble opinion, Pattaya should remain as it was in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s  —NOT positioned as a family destination. Let destinations like Hua Hin or Phuket handle family-friendly atmospheres.
And please, no Chinese tour groups taking videos.

It will change, it has to and pressure is being brought to bear. The woke world we have now is pushing that way.... won't happen overnight, but I just see change. 

18 hours ago, shackleton said:

Pattaya is known around the World as the Sin City of Thailand 🇹🇭 

It's a image that won't go away hence the number of Sex tourists coming to Thailand 💰 🤑 

I think that is why things will change.... now it is far too widely known..... social media being what it is and yet still growing.