Why Do Thai Women Not Like Fishing?

Neeranam

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Asked my wife if she wants to go fishing and the answer was 'no'. Come to think of it, I've never seen Thai women with a rod in their hands. 

Maybe because they don’t like swatting insects and sitting in the hot sun? My wife finagled me to go fishing with her friends husband, he and I fished while they sat and yammered and adamantly refused to handle a fishing rod.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Asked my wife if she wants to go fishing and the answer was 'no'. Come to think of it, I've never seen Thai women with a rod in their hands. 

I see lots of women going fishing with their partners. Others may collect shells at the beach. Perhaps beach location makes all the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I have never asked a Thai woman whether she likes fishing, but I certainly know plenty that do. But isn't for pleasure. They fish for the pot and the catch is an important part of their diet. I see women fishing almost every day during the wet season.

But to fully answer the O/Ps question, I don't recall any of them line fishing, they use a large scoop net.

My wife goes fishing all the time during the wet season with a large net like the one you describe.

I think some people don't understand that there is a difference between fishing and angling.

Angling being the correct term when attempting to catch fish using a rod, line and baited hook.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My guess is it is not a big sport for women anywhere... 

1 hour ago, bignok said:

95% of women hate it

It's boring

So, you bait a hook to lure an unsuspecting fish and then hook it and pull it out of the water by its lips.. if you eat it ok - but what I never got is that some people throw it back and consider themselves magnanimous for having spared the poor thing... 

A friend of mine used to go fishing w/his friends and just dangle a string in the water - no bait, no hook. 

• Haha 2

Mrs took me fishing in Issan once, I am against it as it happens but went. They all stood around while the pump emptied the pond then went and picked the fish up out of the mud and put them all in buckets, they thought it was great fun:unsure:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The vast majority of the worlds women are not interested in fishing as an activity unless it's a matter of survival/economic necessity.

Edited by Enoon

15 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah I go to a fishing park last Sunday every month..... always plenty of females fishing... whilst the hubbies are kicking back on the beers.

Well they better catch some or there's nothing for dinner. All the money has been spent on beer...