I think I found a solution to this tax nonsense

16 minutes ago, Celsius said:

My wife actually has a job and earns a decent income.

I will just attach myself to her tax return so it looks like she is supporting me. May even get a bigger refund!

I will be using ATM and my non Thai credit cards to survive here.

If I decide to stay......

How are you going to pay your non Thai credit card bills, from where?

Just now, Celsius said:

I don't understand.

I pay using online banking as I did in the last 10 years.

Well, it's just that if Thailand adopts the same approach as the UK with non-doms, those credit card transaction would represent income that should be declared. This is because it's where the bill is paid from that's the key issue. Not surprisingly, others have been down this same road before and Revenue Departments in various countries are wise to the scam strategy..

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

What revenue department has the authority to audit your credit card bill from another country.

Master Card woould just laff at them and tell them to FO

Hey, don't take me to task on this, I'm just giving you info. I imagine that Visa and Mastercard networks probably have global agreements covering cross border transactions and the reporting thereof. I don't understand the end to end settlement process for Visa and MC but the central banks and IBS are in the loop somewhere.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, blackcab said:

At the minute Thailand is not taxing worldwide income, so no problems there.

Perhaps in other countries, but not in Thailand, and that is what matters.

I agree that Thailand is not taxing worldwide income. However, there is little difference between transferring cash from say the UK to Thailand and having to declare that cash as assessable income, and buying things on a credit card in Thailand using money from the UK and then paying the bill from here in Thailand. In both cases, the funds originate from overseas, and are spent here in Thailand.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

I will just attach myself to her tax return so it looks like she is supporting me. May even get a bigger refund!

How big is your house, and how many cars do you own?

• Haha 2

Just now, Ben Zioner said:

I think it would remain low risk for a year or two, but they will get organised, staffed, etc.. To get on top of it will cost them more than anything they recoup. At least at the  beginning, their clever little change will require investment.

Yes, I agree

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Hey, don't take me to task on this, I'm just giving you info. I imagine that Visa and Mastercard networks probably have global agreements covering cross border transactions and the reporting thereof. I don't understand the end to end settlement process for Visa and MC but the central banks and IBS are in the loop somewhere.

that's a good point. The Thai government could require major banks to disclose Thailand-based transactions under your name. I'm sure they have loopholes in place to violate your privacy.

I imagine they're going to have us volunteer our spending and if the numbers are too low you'll get pulled aside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I think it would remain low risk for a year or two, but they will get organised, staffed, etc.. To get on top of it will cost them more than anything they recoup. At least at the  beginning, their clever little change will require investment.

If they can get 10% of all transactions made by expats that will pay for itself. If they put any thought in to this at all there must have some minimum figure their targeting. It's possible though this was just something drafted up by a few people and they never spent any time considering how it will be implemented (typical for the government here actually).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

So do you earn untaxed income from abroad or online and bring it onshore to Thailand? because if you don't then there is no tax nonsense you have to worry about. The amendment to the existing tax law is designed to collect money from people who previously didn't have to pay tax on their untaxed income abroad as long as they didn't bring it onshore in the same tax year as it was earned. Unfortunately, we may have to start supplying more information but if your earnings are taxed in your home country and that country has a double taxation agreement with Thailand then it will not be taxed again. If your earnings in your home country are only small and do not reach the threshold for taxation they still will not be taxed in Thailand because your earnings were assessed for tax purposes and none was due therefore your earnings are not untaxed but taxed assessed and zero payment required.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DrJoy said:

I have not seen even one officer of the Thai Revenue Dept who speaks even rudimentary English.

I have been to their head office on Paholyothin road, none of them could speak English.

Even 2nd graders speaks better English than them.

How will they communicate with foreigners and tell them that their tax is due?

Their e tax filing website is in Thai only

Not sure that is that important. Same as other countries it is the individuals responsibility to lodge if appropriate. Most countries would not have etax site in multiple languages I should think. If you were picked for an audit the staff would likely have access to interpreters and translators.

Wouldn't stop them as noted above matching income to lifestyle. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, DrJoy said:

I have not seen even one officer of the Thai Revenue Dept who speaks even rudimentary English.

I have been to their head office on Paholyothin road, none of them could speak English.

Even 2nd graders speaks better English than them.

How will they communicate with foreigners and tell them that their tax is due?

Their e tax filing website is in Thai only

Pretty much all the officers and staff in the Chiang Mai Districts 1 & 2 offices speak English at different levels, some of them speak it extremely well, why Bangkok is anything different is odd. Either you are exaggerating or you mean the one or two officers you spoke to don;t speak English as well as you might like.

There is an English language version of the tax regulations and the tax forms that have been posted in other threads that discuss the new tax law, take a look.