Missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand

She is not trapped, her body is. Not difficult to say "The body of missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand". 

Very poorly witten headline from I suggest an under educated person.

...."The ship's cook Samniang Chaichana, 67, is also thought to have been trapped on board when the ship sank to a depth of 180ft while Ms Young was enjoying a dream adventure with friends.",....  Indeed, very poorly written. A negative and a positive sentence in the same phrase.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Amazing, that they could not all get to rescue rafts, it must have gone down quickly. A sad thing is loss of life and to many Thai boats sink, collide and kill tourists, hello, where is the safety checks on vessels and checks on crew and there experience, just cowboys, thinking it won't happen to me, Satu, 

Maritime deaths in Thailand pale into insignificance compared to countries like the UK and US. The Phillipines has the worst peacetime disaster where over 4000 are estimated to have died in a maritime collision.

The Titanic is the most well known incident but little to beat the Herald of Free Enterprise, a RORO ferry that set sail with the door open.

My friend was 90 last week, he didn't get on and was at the front of the queue for the next one when it happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

That boat also looks top heavy, there is hardly any depth to the hull compared to the height of the superstructure.  No engineer, just what I see.

True but have you seen the depth below the waterline of the vast cruise ships? Not much against the staggering number of decks above.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, off road pat said:

...."The ship's cook Samniang Chaichana, 67, is also thought to have been trapped on board when the ship sank to a depth of 180ft while Ms Young was enjoying a dream adventure with friends.",....  Indeed, very poorly written. A negative and a positive sentence in the same phrase.

Seems like some kind of intentional dark humor . 

• Haha 1

I can't believe boats like that are allowed out in the Andaman Sea   They are out of their comfort zone in the gulf even when operating  relatively close to the mainland. Which is probably what that one was built for.   

This kind of incident is all too common, greed coupled with stupidity  is the sole reason for it, During the high season for tourism, rough seas are very common. but the idiots just can't resist the temptation of tourist wonga.

Waves of 1.5 m would be enough to scare most tourists <deleted>less and most of the large trawlers stay in dock when the waves get to 3m

they are not designed like North sea trawlers

Most of the "captains" of these boats are ex fishermen who are too lazy to work on the fishing boats anymore, or who have been sacked for one reason of another  If I remember correctly  there is no actual qualification req'd to skipper one of these boats a licence is easily obtained just by applying, and whilst  reassuringly each boat is legally required to carry a ships engineer no qualification is required for that either.  There is no annual check required that I'm aware of and the basic insurance is unbelievably cheap

That applies for boats up to a certain size (not including dive platform) I'm almost certain that boat like most operating around thailand, conveniently fall into that category,  That's how it was in the gulf of thailand 15 years ago  things may have changed  but i doubt it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

True but have you seen the depth below the waterline of the vast cruise ships? Not much against the staggering number of decks above.

The fact that some of these ships remain upright is astonishing but presumably they've all been properly computer designed and  scale models have been tested in wave tanks, and certain operating limits established  etc etc.      That is not the case with these Thai tourboats

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

Put your scuba tank on then  ,Brian, don't worry that 180 feet is below the depth limit for safe diving. And what's the hurry,do you think this is still a rescue situation?

180 feet is not below the limit for safe diving. I suspect you are thinking of the recommended depth limits for recreational diving.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, dinsdale said:

She is not trapped, her body is. Not difficult to say "The body of missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand". 

Very poorly witten headline from I suggest an under educated person.

What do you expect from the Daily Mail/MailOnline?  :whistling:

1 minute ago, pacovl46 said:

Not necessarily. There might be a large air bubble trapped in the boat. 5 days is pushing it, though, and I wouldn't get my hopes up either. 

That's why I always stay up top when I use a ferry. And it's always a good idea to get a swimming vest beforehand. 

If they have any.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Gandtee said:

If she and the cook are trapped inside the sunken vessel let's hope that their removal will be more successful than the navy's attempt to recover those trapped in their ship that capsized due to rough seas.

The depth is about the limit divers can go to without using special gasses i believe, and I have no idea if Thailand has any submarine equipment to do the job. So might be a while.  

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The depth is about the limit divers can go to without using special gasses i believe.

Correct.

With air you reach a PO2 of 1.4 at 187ft and 1.6 at 218ft.

From an O2 standpoint 190 ft is as deep as you want to go on air.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Whacker said:

As an advanced open water scuba diver I need to make a slight correction. While diving on air to that depth is not recommended. It is certainly possible. The max depth on air is around 190 to 200. Deeper than that the diver is subject to Oxygen Toxicity.  Also (bottom time is very important) I did a 189 ft dive on air at Trinidad, and Tabago. You can go down as fast as you can, once at depth my computer showed that I only had 5 minutes of (bottom time) exceeding bottom time can be deadly. After 2 minutes I  very gradually made my way to the surface, and since I had plenty of air left I took about 45 minutes including 3 safety stops before surfacing. The only thing that I saw down there was a huge Sting Ray. I did it with the Dive Master just so I could have it logged on my dive computer for bragging rights.

Sounds like you haven't quite got over trying to claim 'bragging rights'.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, neverere said:

180 feet is not below the limit for safe diving. I suspect you are thinking of the recommended depth limits for recreational diving.

Indeed I am ,as a diver myself 30 metres is considered deep,with 50 metres ,which I've done once,the absolute limit . For this depth they'd need trimix ,but little point and much hazard in going to this depth to go inside a wreck in a non urgent situation 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, webfact said:

'The rescue committee is working to find the sunken ship as quickly as possible. We believe that the missing people are trapped inside.'

I can't see the rush is necessary.  5 days under 180 feet of water leaves not much hope of survival.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I can't see the rush is necessary.  5 days under 180 feet of water leaves not much hope of survival.

I recall a tug sinking a few years ago where a crewman (also a cook!) was found alive in an air bubble 3 days later. Of course, not as long, not as deep.

Moment divers found man trapped alive in sunken ship - BBC News