Getting a Cold in Thailand

Danderman123

Back in the USA, as I got older my frequency of getting a cold diminished to less than 1 per year. And they followed the same pattern: 2 days of sore throat, followed by 4+ days of misery.

The pattern is different in Thailand: they are more frequent, and there is no sore throat, and they are shorter, maybe 2 days of misery before they tail off.

I suspect that the Thai cold virus is difficult to export because of its short infectious period, so I was never exposed to this variety back home, and so have fewer defenses. No idea if it is a rhinovirus or coronavirus.

You possibly get more colds in Thailand than back home. Not sure why but I would guess it is due to the change in temperature from summer to winter. Yes I know changes in temperature also exist in the USA and Europe but here with most of the year being hot the possibility could be increased.

Colds are the same wherever you live, never noticed any difference wherever I've lived, Thailand, US, China, Taiwan, Singapore all the same snotty and disgusting

Of course I'm a man so I do suffer from man flu, ie a cold, but I think I've had real flu twice in my life and that was not fun

As I recall, anytime I travelled from the USA to China, I would immediately contract a very severe "cold", but rarely the flu.

Must have something to do with immune system being used to bugs in America that might be different to bugs in China, including the Palmetto Bug.

Anytime I travel to China, I always expect a severe cold that lasts for over two weeks.

Here in Thailand, I have not had a cold since October of 2019.

Sometimes, though, I get a backache, or similar.

I'm on about the fifth day of covid, all but gone now. 

I have virtually no colds as an adult in the US but had them often when I first came to Thailand. Back to very few now. Been sick twice in the last few years, both were covid. 

You guys with symptoms be sure to test yourselves. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As I recall, anytime I travelled from the USA to China, I would immediately contract a very severe "cold", but rarely the flu.

Must have something to do with immune system being used to bugs in America that might be different to bugs in China, including the Palmetto Bug.

Anytime I travel to China, I always expect a severe cold that lasts for over two weeks.

Here in Thailand, I have not had a cold since October of 2019.

Sometimes, though, I get a backache, or similar.

I rarely if ever get colds. I sometimes do get a headache, from reading posts on ASEAN.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Again....

Recall that I already mentioned Vitamin C Pauling, and, also, the fallacy of Pauling's thinking.

Just one chemist, Pauling, to another, is all that I was saying.

I don't take Vitamin C in the dosages Pauling recommended. 500 - 1000 mg is sufficient IMO.

Let me know when you get nominated for a Nobel Prize, let alone win one.

It is normal to get much more frequent colds when you move to a new place, as you will be exposed to new strains/variants that you have not previously encountered. 

Can take several years before you acquire enough immunity that frequency declines.

• Like 1

In Europe I'd get 3 or 4 a year with nasty sore throats. In Thailand, never had a cold in 10+ years. The only sore throat I've had was for three or four hours when I had Covid. Glorious.

I rinse and gargle with the special saltwater (you can buy in 7/11), so my nose has never felt clearer. 

Thailand’s environment, with its high temperatures, humidity, and air pollution, is likely different from what you’re used to at home. These factors could potentially affect your health.

Colds are typically more common during the cold winter months when people spend more time indoors, increasing the likelihood of exposure to viruses.

Similarly, in Thailand, you might spend more time indoors due to the heat and air pollution, potentially increasing your exposure to cold viruses.

Furthermore, air pollution and mould from the high humidity, can cause respiratory issues, which can mimic common cold symptoms.

• Like 1

I haven't had a cold in over 20 years, maybe longer, in the US, Japan or Thailand. I don't remember the year I started taking zinc every day, but that stopped colds dead in their tracks. It down help against COVID though. 

Edited by retarius

52 minutes ago, retarius said:

I haven't had a cold in over 20 years, maybe longer, in the US, Japan or Thailand. I don't remember the year I started taking zinc every day, but that stopped colds dead in their tracks. It down help against COVID though. 

maybe a coincidence, i don't see anything online about zinc preventing colds