Dangers of driving here and being a pedestrian. I nearly got hit on a zebra crossing

advancebooking

The very first morning my Thai wife and I were in Singapore she yelled at me for walking onto a zebra crossing while a car was approaching. She was amazed that the driver stopped and did not yell at me for interrupting their drive! We were there for years so needed a full and proper reset when we moved back! 

Zebra crossings here are target zones! Expect to be unseen or ignored.

Back when I was fresh and green here, I had a meeting with a bank about network security or something similar. My colleague who had been here a while made an observation I have kept close for constant re-use. "There was only one thing wrong with your logic young man," he said. "It was logical."

The application of logic to derive a way forward will only set you back...

On 1/2/2024 at 10:56 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

I would strongly argue that one is no more likely to be hit by an errant motorist (if, indeed he/she is) on any form of pedestrian crossing, in any country, than crossing a road in an area not so designated.

I would further argue that one may actually have a better chance of survival when using such a crosswalk etc.

Logical reasoning suggests to me that, if a section of road is signed to reflect that pedestrians may be crossing, that there will "probably" be a certain number of motorists who will expect such, and approach said crossing with the appropriate caution. Hence my statement "a better chance of survival."

That said, where UK road rules dictate that one must stop and give way to any pedestrian who so much as puts one foot on a zebra crossing, it is quite evident that this rule doesn't apply elsewhere.

To reiterate, I believe that any pedestrian is just as likely to be struck by a motorist wheresoever he/she chooses to cross.

I will usually choose a designated crossing point if there is one nearby, BUT, I will always look in every direction, prior to --- and during the exercise.

When I was (trying) to teach my son to how to drive, he would sometimes argue, "He/she shouldn't have done that, I had right of way!" To which I would frequently reply, "Would you like to argue that point from the grave?" 

Many Thais seem like really decent, kind-hearted people, but you put them behind a wheel and they just turn into crazed maniacs, who take unbelievable risks with themselves and their families, for absolutely no reason at all other than to gain a few seconds. One has to exercise extreme care in a car, on a motorbike and especially walking across the street. Never assume anything especially at a zebra crossing, look both ways constantly scan the road and walk fast. 

• Agree 2

On 12/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Anyway, I only worry about getting hit by a car when I am outside my house.

Me too. I don't allow any vehicles inside my house. Although my father-in-law would often park his motorcycle in the house when he was alive but he was careful not to hit me as he wheeled it in. If I had painted black and white lines on the floor it might have been a different matter, of course.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many Thais seem like really decent, kind-hearted people, but you put them behind a wheel and they just turn into crazed maniacs, who take unbelievable risks with themselves and their families, for absolutely no reason at all other than to gain a few seconds. One has to exercise extreme care in a car, on a motorbike and especially walking across the street. Never assume anything especially at a zebra crossing, look both ways constantly scan the road and walk fast. 

Exactly so. All of the above.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/30/2023 at 5:13 PM, advancebooking said:

I used to drive fast here when there was no traffic on the road but now keep under the limit as Thai drivers a unpredictable. 

Recently I was nearly killed walking fast across a zebra crossing. It was a small crossing really close to my kids school. Actually a car on the left side was trying to turn right and I walked fast across the zebra crossing behind that car. Suddenly a pickup truck was speeding very fast and I nearly accidentally walked in front of it. It could have been a school kid killed. The idiot was driving so fast. 

I just read on the news re a Brit who was hit by a motorcycle on the road in Pats. 

This can happen to any of us. Its very important to be careful walking on the roads in Thailand. 

Happy new yr to you all.  

"I used to drive fast here when there was no traffic on the road but now keep under the limit as Thai drivers a unpredictable."  You're also a problem. 

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2023 at 6:31 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Take note; there are no pedestrian crossings in Thailand.  They may be marked as such, some even have lights, but they are never safe. Like roundabouts, Thai's do not understand them . 

I don't think it has anything to do with not  understanding them. IMO the most important thing about driving or riding is common sense, what percentage of Thai's actually have much common sense? The dreadful road statistics tell all.

On 12/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, it's important to be careful.

And it's very important not to assume drivers and riders will behave in a certain way.

IMHO most accidents happen because people make false presumptions. 

- They see me, they will stop. - NO!

- I am right. - Maybe, but who cares?

- They can't see so they will drive slowly. - No.

- The light is red, they will stop. - No.

- This is a one-way street; nobody can come from that direction. - Bad assumption.

I live since almost 30 years in the middle of Bangkok. I ride my own motorcycle and with motorcycle taxis. And sometimes I walk.

Until now I never had an accident. I also never had an almost accident.

Was that luck? Maybe, in part.

But mostly it was being careful and not assuming the others will play nice.

Many people, probably most, never had an accident. Because they are careful.

I have driven and ridden many times in Bangkok. and in my experience the standard of driving and riding there is much higher than ie Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok.

Again in my experience, the most dangerous places are Rio et and Kanchanaburi.

I saw a bloke get knocked over on Jomtien Beach Road on Saturday night. Luckily he seemed to be OK, as it was more "quarter-on", rather than full head-on in the middle of the bumper, but he was knocked to the ground, nonetheless. Well... he was OK enough to start balling the girl out for her incompetent driving once he'd been helped back to his feet!

Crossing the road at Big-C north Pattaya on Friday night (at the pedestrian crossing), we waited for the light to go red, then gave it another 5 seconds watching the oncomming traffic, and sure enough a car drove straight through the red light. I did however motion him through, with one of Paddington's hardest stares and big waving hand gestures (shame I didn't have a whistle and torch, for the full effect!), and he gave me the sheepish but annoyed "losing face" look as he knew he was in the wrong. I doubt it will stop him doing anything different next time though.

Thailand doesn't give a toss about pedestrians. A pedestrian is the lowest form here. Then come cyclists, then small cars, then pickups... SUVs, minivans, Mercs/Audis/BMWs/sportscars etc., and finally coaches and trucks. Just your typical Thailand top-down/size inferiority complex mentality.

On 12/30/2023 at 10:21 AM, Real Name Hidden said:

A young doctor was killed at a Zebra crossing in Bangkok a few years ago, by an off-duty policeman on a big bike going 100 kpm. People were outraged and it looked like some action would finally be taken.  There was talk about using ccv cameras to monitor crossings and send tickets to offenders.  Motorists started slowing down at zebra crossings and there was a huge spike in rear-end collisions.  

Motorists started slowing down at zebra crossings and there was a huge spike in rear-end collisions.  

i was in a previous gfs car, she was driving and would never stop or slow down to let anyone cross the road safely. i asked her why, and it was the fear of being rear-ended, it is a genuine issue here.

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly this. Many drivers lack roadcraft. This is particularly evident in reading the flow of traffic and pedestrians. 

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Agree 1

Yes, so dangerous on the roads. I've driven here for 13 years. I think worse now than before CoVid.

I refuse to give in over zebra crossings, I'm that stupid. Even when crossing lights are green for me and I'm standing on the zebra it's dangerous. The Road Traffic Act states that drivers/mb riders MUST stop if you are actually on the zebra crossing. The fine for not doing so is, if I remember correctly, 4000 baht. Of course most Thais won't know that, but, prat that I am, I shout it at them and hold up 4 fingers! It sometimes works!

Roundabouts are so few. They can't understand that you give way to drivers coming from your right because that's the side i.e. your own driving side, that will get hit!

• Confused 1

On 12/30/2023 at 6:31 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Take note; there are no pedestrian crossings in Thailand.  They may be marked as such, some even have lights, but they are never safe. Like roundabouts, Thai's do not understand them . 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

What's a zebra crossing, asking for a Thai friend 😉

Traffic lights are a year round Christmas decoration. Just a set of pretty lights in three colours.

It's not just the roads that you need eyes in the back of your head.

I was hit by a post motor bike pannier on the pavement on summkovit Road bkk .f.cker had the audacity to mumble something coz he nearly fell I gave him a few universally known words finishing with off

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2023 at 11:20 AM, Purdey said:

Hold up a mobile phone and pretend to take a video as you cross. 

Wont make any difference to the odds of being hit by a vehicle

But

it will vastly increase the odds of having your phone snatched

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, it is what it is said:

Motorists started slowing down at zebra crossings and there was a huge spike in rear-end collisions.  

i was in a previous gfs car, she was driving and would never stop or slow down to let anyone cross the road safely. i asked her why, and it was the fear of being rear-ended, it is a genuine issue here.

Another one, my outer circle Thai family. None of them stop at zebra crossings for the same  reason:   "I don't agree with that law so I don't stop!"

On 12/30/2023 at 10:19 AM, CharlieH said:

The mistake most westerners make is they assume a certain behaviour and standard that simply does not exist here.

I know exactly where you're coming from but it would be so easy to improve things on the roads - save a few lives too. In a tourist area (like below), I can fully understand why tourists might assume that cars would stop at a crossing controlled by lights.

I try my best to ignore what goes on but sometimes its just bloody madness.  I was hit (not badly) by a taxi in Bangkok. I was on a light controlled crossing showing cars a red light and me a green man.  Many here will know that crossing and the madness that goes on there - Sukhumvit - junction with Soi 3/4.  The cop in the police box opposite did absolutley nothing - as they all do every minute of every day as cars ignore the lights there - what is the purpose of having a cop in that box?  Nothing that is until I dragged the taxi driver out of his car - then it was me who was threatened with arrest!  Never mind that the taxi driver had just run a red light and injured a pedestrian.  Can't be having those damned dirty foreigners punching our poor taxi drivers can we?

I believe a foreign couple were killed on that crossing a few years back.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, Real Name Hidden said:

Exactly! I ALAWAYS look in my rear view mirror when stopping at zebra crossings as the Thais generally don't stop just beacause a light has changed to red. There needs to be someone crossing for them to stop.

On 1/2/2024 at 4:56 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

I would strongly argue that one is no more likely to be hit by an errant motorist (if, indeed he/she is) on any form of pedestrian crossing, in any country, than crossing a road in an area not so designated.

I would further argue that one may actually have a better chance of survival when using such a crosswalk etc.

Logical reasoning suggests to me that, if a section of road is signed to reflect that pedestrians may be crossing, that there will "probably" be a certain number of motorists who will expect such, and approach said crossing with the appropriate caution. Hence my statement "a better chance of survival."

That said, where UK road rules dictate that one must stop and give way to any pedestrian who so much as puts one foot on a zebra crossing, it is quite evident that this rule doesn't apply elsewhere.

To reiterate, I believe that any pedestrian is just as likely to be struck by a motorist wheresoever he/she chooses to cross.

I will usually choose a designated crossing point if there is one nearby, BUT, I will always look in every direction, prior to --- and during the exercise.

When I was (trying) to teach my son to how to drive, he would sometimes argue, "He/she shouldn't have done that, I had right of way!" To which I would frequently reply, "Would you like to argue that point from the grave?" 

"My country" has the same rule about pedestrians or even more harsh. If pedestrian comes up to crossing, before even put a foot on crossing, you have to stop. As pedestrian however you must be aware it is also ignored sometimes, you cant go blind on that.

I believe the fine is a 110 euro if a police officer sees you ignoring it. However police checking upon that is low.

With the fine, you also have to pay administration costs 9 euro, so extra. 

Maybe they will do to reach to their quotum of fines every month. As police have quotum on fines ! They MUST do a number of fines !

The force is shrinking in officers, so more cams are bought to flash you. Also more mobile ones, to keep up collecting money for government from fines. Maybe even full automatic proces with wifi sending and computers sending fines out.

Some fines: you dont want to do alcohol test with officer 160 euro, you dont want to do it in police station 280 euro and the you commit a felony, so you have criminal record ! Using disabled parking space 350 euro. your tires are worn 500 euro.

And it goes on and on. Even taking a shopping car from supermarket home can cost you 100 euro.

HOLDING a phone while driving 380 euro.

Year 2022, 8.153.043 fines, so calculated with just 100 euro, brings in 800 million euro and that is just with 100 euro/fine.

Brings it in real closer to 1 billion euro/year.  

Wonder what it would bring in in Thailand when they would really do the same as in "my country".

On 12/30/2023 at 5:21 PM, Real Name Hidden said:

A young doctor was killed at a Zebra crossing in Bangkok a few years ago, by an off-duty policeman on a big bike going 100 kpm. People were outraged and it looked like some action would finally be taken.  There was talk about using ccv cameras to monitor crossings and send tickets to offenders.  Motorists started slowing down at zebra crossings and there was a huge spike in rear-end collisions.  

And that cop wasn’t licensed to be riding that bike which wasn’t even his….one wonders what happened to him? Probably nothing.

4 hours ago, it is what it is said:

Yup, I almost caused two rear collisions recently walking out onto zebra crossings. Or I should say, it was caused by them driving too close to each other.

Both times the motorbike rider was pissed cos he was driving too close and almost hit the back of the car, and then beeped the driver of the car for stopping and then displayed aggression towards me. Lol