What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2024)

Rimmer

I am sure it will have limited interest on here.....But

Pep Guardiola  Chasing Perfection   BBC

This documentary offers a deep dive into Pep’s relentless pursuit of perfection and the methods and motivations that have led him to leave a lasting imprint on the beautiful game.
Fascinating interviews with his inner circle, including his right-hand man Txiki Begiristain, uncover Pep’s journey from a small town in Catalonia to the awe-inspiring Camp Nou and the importance of his pivotal relationship with managerial guru Johan Cruyff.

Expats

Set against the complex tapestry of Hong Kong residents, Expats depicts a multifaceted group of women after a single encounter sets off a chain of life-altering events that leaves everyone navigating the intricate balance between blame and accountability.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A little bit of fantastic news for U.S. election year political junkies!

Jon Stewart is coming back to The Daily Show!

But ...

Only on Mondays

More orang man fat jokes, how exciting. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Stewart is much more sophisticated than that.

If by "sophisticated" you mean not funny I agree. 

You ever notice how people clap at his "jokes" instead of laughing? 

You like him, good for you.

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, Will27 said:

New one from Netflix just dropped.

Fleeing from Medellín to Miami, Griselda Blanco creates one of the most ruthless cartels in history.

Thanks @Will27. Downloading complete season 1 now from TGx. Also on TPB & Torlock.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Stewart is much more sophisticated than that.

Was, I agree. He degenerated into unfunny anti-conservative political digs, Colbert Lite. He did well to leave. Now he's coming back in to cash in on Trump. Bill Maher, to his credit, finally couldn't stand it any longer and started to become a bit more objective.

• Sad 2

This is getting some excellent reviews.

During WWII, five miles above the ground and behind enemy lines, ten men inside a bomber known as a "Flying Fortress" battle unrelenting flocks of German fighters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BigStar said:

Was, I agree. He degenerated into unfunny anti-conservative political digs, Colbert Lite. He did well to leave. Now he's coming back in to cash in on Trump. Bill Maher, to his credit, finally couldn't stand it any longer and started to become a bit more objective.

And is actually getting some laughs again. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:34 PM, gargamon said:

Watched The Creator last night. About a 7 and definitely watchable. Ignore all the “woke“ complaints in the 2023 thread. It's a typical sci-fi movie in the old way like pre-marvel ones. 

Watched that last, quite enjoyable.  Agree, ignore the woke silliness, as it is the future, and bigotry can't last forever :cheesy:

• Haha 1

In the last couple weeks, I've seen: 

"Elevator Game" I think a low budget US "supernatural horror", I thought it was very bad. 

"Chinatown ChaCha" Thai action-adventure comedy. Not great but okay.

"The Elite of the Devils" Thai horror-nihilism movie, look like there will be a sequel, I thought it was bad. 

"Next Goal Wins" Sport-comedy apparently based on a true story. I thought it was entertaining. 

"The Beekeeper" Action-thriller with a bit of comedy. Wife loved it, I enjoyed it, Jason Statham saving the world, how bad could it be? 

"The Cursed" Thai horror movie, I thought it was very bad. 

"The Three Musketeers-Pert II: Milady" French action picture, pretty good, I did realize it was part two, and I'd like to see part one. 

"Oppenheimer" US thriller, this was a good picture. Rereleased in Thailand, I assume because of the best picture nomination. I saw it in "IMAX" and really enjoyed it. 

"Miller's Girl" US Thriller-sort of. Some annoying things but pretty good. 

"Anyone But You" US romantic-comedy. This could have been a good picture, but too ridiculous too many times. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In the last couple weeks, I've seen: 

"Elevator Game" I think a low budget US "supernatural horror", I thought it was very bad. 

"Chinatown ChaCha" Thai action-adventure comedy. Not great but okay.

"The Elite of the Devils" Thai horror-nihilism movie, look like there will be a sequel, I thought it was bad. 

"Next Goal Wins" Sport-comedy apparently based on a true story. I thought it was entertaining. 

"The Beekeeper" Action-thriller with a bit of comedy. Wife loved it, I enjoyed it, Jason Statham saving the world, how bad could it be? 

"The Cursed" Thai horror movie, I thought it was very bad. 

"The Three Musketeers-Pert II: Milady" French action picture, pretty good, I did realize it was part two, and I'd like to see part one. 

"Oppenheimer" US thriller, this was a good picture. Rereleased in Thailand, I assume because of the best picture nomination. I saw it in "IMAX" and really enjoyed it. 

"Miller's Girl" US Thriller-sort of. Some annoying things but pretty good. 

"Anyone But You" US romantic-comedy. This could have been a good picture, but too ridiculous too many times. 

I too really enjoyed Oppenheimer and you recommended The BeeKeeper. 

17 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Yes, very much like your wife did. My wife does not watch anything I do.

Really? Since the kid left for school, we don't really watch anything together at home, but she likes the movies and since we got the annual passes, she wants to go all the time. Once in a while I'll watch a movie while she shops. 

• Like 1

A true crime series offering viewers a first-hand account of dangerous criminal investigations from those closest to the action – the undercover agents themselves.  Undercover agents are on the front lines; often risking their lives to gather evidence that may help take criminals off the streets.

Each episode includes surveillance video and audio recordings from actual investigations to reveal the critical moments that could make or break a case – or an agent’s life. Living in secrecy and often unrecognized beyond their tightest circles, these agents rarely get to tell their stories, until now.

Saw "Blue Giant" today with the wife and kid and loved it. Japanese animated music drama. Unfortunately, it was the Thai dubbed version. Going to see it again tomorrow in the original Japanese with English and Thai subtitles. Generally, not a fan of animated stuff, but I liked this.

Blue Giant (2023) - IMDb

Murder Trial: The Killing of Dr Brenda Page

This 2 part series was excellent.

Dr Brenda Page died following a brutal attack, with her former husband Christopher Harrisson accused of her murder.

• Agree 1

I consider downloading a movie every now and then, and watch them using an external SSD connected to the USB of my LG smart TV/

Since I'm not an English native, I prefer subtitles.

Found that most of the movies available for download are MP4 without subtitles.

Which software you use to add the subtitles to the MP4 file please?

Excellent and very moving movie reflecting the lives (and deaths) of so many.

Works well emotionally and as a story regardless of your political views on global south to north migration. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BenStark said:

I consider downloading a movie every now and then, and watch them using an external SSD connected to the USB of my LG smart TV/

Since I'm not an English native, I prefer subtitles.

Found that most of the movies available for download are MP4 without subtitles.

Which software you use to add the subtitles to the MP4 file please?

Pretty much all the current videos are mkv's. Older ones are predominantly mp4's. I use kodi to get subtitles and play the video. The two addons that download the subtitles are addic7ed (tv only) and a4ksubtitled(tv and movies). I download videos to my NAS and this works good in that scenario. If you're streaming, I don't know. There should be something in the streaming service that will download them for you.

I even wrote a script to delete the embedded subtitles so I could download the one i wanted. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Pretty much all the current videos are mkv's. Older ones are predominantly mp4's. I use kodi to get subtitles and play the video. The two addons that download the subtitles are addic7ed (tv only) and a4ksubtitled(tv and movies). I download videos to my NAS and this works good in that scenario. If you're streaming, I don't know. There should be something in the streaming service that will download them for you.

I even wrote a script to delete the embedded subtitles so I could download the one i wanted. 

As I said, I have SSD connected to my LG TV through USB. No Kodi on an LG TV. I prefer older movies over today's crap, so most of them are MP4.

Google told me the solution in the meantime, which is just to add the subtitle to the same folder, and enable subtitles in the settings of the TV.

• Thumbs Up 1