So, who has had my money for a week and still counting?

I went to a well known private hospital last week for yet another minor procedure.

I paid the bill and yet again was told to wait to collect my medicines. I used a debit card.

When I collected the medicines, yet again, I was prescribed pain killers and anti inflammatory tablets. This is in spite of me telling the doctors 'please only prescribe must have medicines'.

So, I complained to the pharmacist who very nicely said sorry and offered to have them removed from the bill.

Back to the cashier where she said that she had refunded the monies for the first bill and I then paid the money for the second (lower) bill. Again, using the debit card.

Next day, I downloaded the online statement. (A lot of transactions go through my bank account.)

No credit for the first payment.

So today, back to the hospital for a follow up after last week's procedure (the urologists are only there on Saturday and Sunday)

I took along a copy of the bank statement since last Saturday. Still no refund.

I then asked the staff at registration to find out why.

Response after a short wait was 'it takes up to a week for the refund to come through'.

I pointed out that today was the eighth day.

'It could take longer'. was the reply.

A debit card transaction takes the money from the account immediately.

A credit has a delay.

Back to the heading. Who has my money?
Is this standard practice for all debit card credits or just this particular hospital 'taking its time'?

Edited by Tropicalevo

4 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

When I claim a credit from Lazada---after paying with Debit card, it usually takes a few weeks.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

In all of my life, I have never had a credit on a debit card before, so I am genuinely interested in 'is it the bank or the hospital' holding my money.

NB I have a bit of a reputation at this hospital for always arguing about my bills (I self insure). I also insist on my Resident's Discount.

• Love It 1

38 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I went to a well known private hospital last week for yet another minor procedure.

I paid the bill and yet again was told to wait to collect my medicines. I used a debit card.

When I collected the medicines, yet again, I was prescribed pain killers and anti inflammatory tablets. This is in spite of me telling the doctors 'please only prescribe must have medicines'.

So, I complained to the pharmacist who very nicely said sorry and offered to have them removed from the bill.

Back to the cashier where she said that she had refunded the monies for the first bill and I then paid the money for the second (lower) bill. Again, using the debit card.

Next day, I downloaded the online statement. (A lot of transactions go through my bank account.)

So today, back to the hospital for a follow up after last week's procedure (the urologists are only there on Saturday and Sunday)

Response after a short wait was 'it takes up to a week for the refund to come through'.

A credit has a delay.

Is this standard practice for all debit card credits or just this particular hospital 'taking its time'?

Your question should have been posted in 'banking' or 'Thailand general' for more coverage. 

Who has your money? 

22 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thanks for the speedy reply.

In all of my life, I have never had a credit on a debit card before, so I am genuinely interested in 'is it the bank or the hospital' holding my money.

NB I have a bit of a reputation at this hospital for always arguing about my bills (I self insure). I also insist on my Resident's Discount.

IF the hospital actually refunded the first transaction, then the bank has your money. Ask to see the transaction receipt for their refund. Obviously if the hospital didn't do the refund... 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

A credit has a delay.

That's always the case regards where. Same back in the US

and it makes sense,  

When you make a payment with a debit card, the system checks to see if you have enough  in your account.  If you do not have enough it is declined, if you have enough the transaction is approved. 

If the money was not taken from the account immediately, you can complete the transaction then go outside to an ATM and clean out your account and  the vendor with whom you just conducted the transaction would be screwed , at the very least there is a Hold on the amount in question until the funds can be transferred to your vendor. . 

So now you  want a refund .

You are not a vendor and have a contract with the credit card company, for them to credit your account in the same way your vendor (hospital) was immediately credited , there is a process and the process takes time .

Edited by sirineou
  • Thanks 2

So now you  want a refund .

You are not a vendor and have a contract with the credit card company, for them to credit your account in the same way your vendor (hospital) was immediately credited , there is a process and the process takes time .

Why does it take time?

if I paid them immediately why can they not do likewise. I find your explanation unacceptable. There’s been occasions over the years when I get told we cannot repay you until the end of the month - I consider that simply hanging on to your money for the sake of it. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

When I claim a credit from Lazada---after paying with Debit card, it usually takes a few weeks.

Correction. A few days, 5 at the most. And I'm talking from 1st hand experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Lazada themselves tell another story

image.png.6b0bfe36b9da595ff5f4addfc88091b0.png

Never mind the blurb on the web site, I'm talking about 1st hand experience. I've had numerous refunds from Lazada over a period of 10 years and not one of them has ever taken longer than 5 days. (and that was probably 3 working days)

How many have you had?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Never mind the blurb on the web site, I'm talking about 1st hand experience. I've had numerous refunds from Lazada over a period of 10 years and not one of them has ever taken longer than 5 days. (and that was probably 3 working days)

How many have you had?

Why does it matter how many refunds I have got, is that the usual chip on your shoulder itching?

I don't use debit card to pay lazada, and I only posted a screenshot of their own rules, but your first hand experience is always different from everyone else. Bye

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I don't use debit card to pay lazada, and I only posted a screenshot of their own rules, but your first hand experience is always different from everyone else. Bye

So in other words, you don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:
12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Correction. A few days, 5 at the most. And I'm talking from 1st hand experience.

41 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

It's the next pay cycle, 5 days to 7 days for me, 

To be honest, I've never quite figured out what they mean by 'billing cycle'. However that doesn't seem to apply to debit cards, which is what the O/P was referring to.

Equally. I've never quite understood why Lazada quote 15 to 30 days for a refund via debit cards. 

None of this is of any use the O/P of course, because it takes as long as it takes and there's nothing anyone do to influence that.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 5:37 PM, sirineou said:

If the money was not taken from the account immediately, you can complete the transaction then go outside to an ATM and clean out your account and  the vendor with whom you just conducted the transaction would be screwed , at the very least there is a Hold on the amount in question until the funds can be transferred to your vendor. . 

I'd have to run awfully fast if I wanted to beat the transaction in the manner that you suggest here. Whenever I use my Krungsri debit card, I get an SMS from the bank within seconds that the transaction has been completed, usually before I've even received the payment slip from the cashier!

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 4:53 PM, Tropicalevo said:

A credit has a delay.

why did you pay the bill if it was not correct?

that was your dumb mistake.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

why did you pay the bill if it was not correct?

that was your dumb mistake.

:spam1:

The bill was correct. Try re-reading the first three lines of my original post.

THAT was your dumb mistake

Bumrungrad doctors are known for what OP describes. You are best to ask the dr at his desk the name of the drug and then write it down. Walk outside to the closest pharmacy and pay 1/3 of the price that you would have paid at BRG. 

The private hospitals are notorious for charging 3 times the price and supplying way TOO many pills needed

• Agree 2

On 1/6/2024 at 5:11 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I also insist on my Resident's Discount.

Now you have me interested!  What is the "resident's discount", how much is it, do you just have to show your retirement visa and passport?

Regarding medicines, last week at the best known private hospital in Pattaya, I was prescribed some tablets, went to the pharmacy and asked how much, she said 150 baht per tablet, but then whispered that is is cheaper outside.

Sure enough, another pharmacy gave me the exact same medicine for 100 baht each!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:53 AM, Tropicalevo said:

It takes time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Bumrungrad doctors are known for what OP describes. You are best to ask the dr at his desk the name of the drug and then write it down. Walk outside to the closest pharmacy and pay 1/3 of the price that you would have paid at BRG. 

The private hospitals are notorious for charging 3 times the price and supplying way TOO many pills needed

The resident doctors here do that. They never prescribe tablets for me - they write the name down and I buy outside.

For urology, the doctors fly in for the weekend consultations. There are three of them on rotation.

One recognises me from the TURP procedure and does the same as the resident doctors.

The other two just do the prescriptions for the hospital.

46 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Now you have me interested!  What is the "resident's discount", how much is it, do you just have to show your retirement visa and passport?

Regarding medicines, last week at the best known private hospital in Pattaya, I was prescribed some tablets, went to the pharmacy and asked how much, she said 150 baht per tablet, but then whispered that is is cheaper outside.

Sure enough, another pharmacy gave me the exact same medicine for 100 baht each!

I have sent you a PM.

Hotels and car rental outfits usually take a few hundred dollars on top of their fee.. If you don't steal the bedsheets or damage the car you get it back in a day or two. However I used a prepaid card once and that took thirty days to refund.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:53 PM, Tropicalevo said:

The reason for this thread was because I have a lot of 'interaction' with the cashiers/finance department at the hospital.

I always push for a discount (I am a resident here) and they always agree (eventually).

I wondered if, in this case, they had not actually processed the credit as a form of devilment and were hoping that I would forget it.

I never received a transaction slip for the debit card credit. I always receive one when I pay with the debit card.

14 days and still counting.