Bird spikes

BenStark

Was looking to purchase some bird spikes because pigeons <deleted> all over the place.

There is a choice of rubber ones and stainless. I would prefer the rubber one because they are easy to cut to size, guaranteed don't rust, and easier to install.

I live in a house so I will install on gutters, downpipes etc. The question is if the rubber ones are effective.

These are the ones I had in mind. Thanks for your feedback.

4616720f699184e30f0b8d68d4b862a4.jpg.fcaf9ef6ad6a1aeb2ac6326d04d1bca4.jpgsg-11134201-7rblg-lpiv23ssyskl73.jpg.33717b9e4095c187d7833985d007e090.jpg

5 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Go for stainless steel. They're well worth it. I bought some due to pigeons and they worked brilliantly.  

ลวดกันนกพิราบ B-HOME อุปกรณ์ไล่นกพิราบ เหล็กกันนก อุปกรณ์ไล่นก ลวดกันนกเกาะ ไล่นกพิราบ ที่ดักนกพิราบ กันนกพิราบ หนามไล่นกพิราบ ที่กันนกพิราบ anti bird repeller ที่ไล่นกพิราบ หนามกันนกพิราบ กันนกเกาะ Bird Spikes ที่กันนก ไล่นก // AN-BDSPI --01

I know the stainless ones work, but my question was if the plastic ones work.

Will find out soon, as I ordered them already now

Just now, BenStark said:

I know the stainless ones work, but my question was if the plastic ones work.

Will find out soon, as I ordered them already now

I affixed plastic ones where pigeons like to perch and they keep the birds off. In the portico where they built nests I had to use the long metal ones that Ivor refers to to deter them. 

5 minutes ago, Poilu said:

I affixed plastic ones where pigeons like to perch and they keep the birds off. In the portico where they built nests I had to use the long metal ones that Ivor refers to to deter them. 

Thanks, I don't have an issue with nests yet, it is mainly they are sitting on wall mounted flood lights and downpipes from the gutters, and the walk ways are full of their droppings.

So hopefully the plastic ones will sort them, otherwise still can order the metal ones later, as it is only small money

I had option 2 on my fence in UK. 

Squirrels used to run along the top and their claws would destroy the wood. Then the cats would chase the Squirrels!

The pigeons sat in the trees watching it all 555

18 hours ago, BenStark said:

Learn and live I would say to the birds

Hmm......you have talking birds at your place!!! 

On a serious note, I'm thinking of getting some of these to put along a wall which runs outside of my apartment, because for some unknown reason a couple of large cats seem to like walking along the top of this wall and at 3 AM in the morning they make a hell of a din with their meowing, and I have been woken up many times by this noise, and I have to do something about it, and this could be the first effort. 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:15 PM, BenStark said:

Learn and live I would say to the birds

My metal ones they know they are there before they even land. They can see them. I don't think the rubber ones would work, they would probably just land on them. They metal ones do work. I have not seen a pigeon get injured on them so far, although some try to land occasionally it is very rare. When they do they just hover and fly off right away.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 1:05 PM, xylophone said:

Hmm......you have talking birds at your place!!! 

On a serious note, I'm thinking of getting some of these to put along a wall which runs outside of my apartment, because for some unknown reason a couple of large cats seem to like walking along the top of this wall and at 3 AM in the morning they make a hell of a din with their meowing, and I have been woken up many times by this noise, and I have to do something about it, and this could be the first effort. 

Close your windows an run your air conditioning.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

All windows closed and aircon on.......the next move is cat food mixed with paracetamol.

Calm down, man - it's not that bad!

Start off dosing yourself on Tramadol

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Calm down, man - it's not that bad!

Start off dosing yourself on Tramadol

Being woken up at 3 am and more often on a daily basis is THAT BAD as far as I am concerned and I am certainly not going to take drugs to counter the wailings of 2 wild cats.......paracetamol it will be as it is toxic to those wild, wailing and indiscriminate killers.

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

All windows closed and aircon on.......the next move is cat food mixed with paracetamol.

I don't know if you've ever been woken up in the morning, but it starts with the birds going "Hawey! Hawey!", and just as you're getting used to that, the Imam starts off "Helloooo Gasgoooow", and as your fumbling for the Yellow Pages and looking for snipers' rifles, he's off on "andyecannaebuythatheer"

You can suffer in stoic silence, or complain pointlessly to yourself.  

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Being woken up at 3 am and more often on a daily basis is THAT BAD as far as I am concerned and I am certainly not going to take drugs to counter the wailings of 2 wild cats.......paracetamol it will be as it is toxic to those wild, wailing and indiscriminate killers.

You can kill yourself or kill the planet.  Close your windows and turn on the air conditioning.  Although if you went the other way where you would go.   Whatever.

• Confused 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, BenStark said:

Was looking to purchase some bird spikes because pigeons <deleted> all over the place.

There is a choice of rubber ones and stainless. I would prefer the rubber one because they are easy to cut to size, guaranteed don't rust, and easier to install.

I live in a house so I will install on gutters, downpipes etc. The question is if the rubber ones are effective.

These are the ones I had in mind. Thanks for your feedback.

4616720f699184e30f0b8d68d4b862a4.jpg.fcaf9ef6ad6a1aeb2ac6326d04d1bca4.jpgsg-11134201-7rblg-lpiv23ssyskl73.jpg.33717b9e4095c187d7833985d007e090.jpg

Those don't work at all.

Theu are more for stopping cats from walking on top of fenced. But they are not even good at doing that. 

I tried several kinds and the only ones that really work are the stainless metal ones. They don't go rusty.  Also u don't need to cut them to size as you van overlap them one of top of another if u need to. 

Make sure to buy the ones with the longest spikes. Short spiked ones the pigeons cam still perch on them, and they can even make a nest on top of them. 

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Those don't work at all.

Theu are more for stopping cats from walking on top of fenced. But they are not even good at doing that. 

I tried several kinds and the only ones that really work are the stainless metal ones. They don't go rusty.  Also u don't need to cut them to size as you van overlap them one of top of another if u need to. 

Make sure to buy the ones with the longest spikes. Short spiked ones the pigeons cam still perch on them, and they can even make a nest on top of them. 

Will see when they arrive today. Cost was only 97 baht for 5 x 45 cm, so not killing the bank if they don't work as expected.

The need for cutting them is because need short pieces, like on top of a flood light, or the horizontal stretch of a downpour pipe, for which even 45 cm will be too long

• Thumbs Up 1