New tax era in Thailand begins as Revenue now shares data with 138 countries within the OECD

webfact

7 hours ago, jacob29 said:

To where though? Majority of places will still tax you more (tax regardless of remittance). I don't buy that people are by and large living in Thailand purely for the tax perks. The regional exceptions seem to be Philippines and Malaysia, and I think Malaysia is essential adopting the same model as Thailand.

If you transfer it to her account abroad, then she remits it into Thailand, yes nobody would be the wiser. Otherwise it remains a remittance, same as if I made a purchase and did a wire transfer straight into the sellers Thai account, and presumably can be tracked - open question as to level of enforcement in practice.

They have no access and will have no access to your own country bank account, not even your home bank account number etc. Not your Wise account either IMHO. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

The one thing I hate more than anything else is preparing taxes, I would rather die then even deal with it. I had to tell my US tax preparer "whatever you do, make sure I never have to deal with an IRS agent at my door", basically I told her not to go after every penny by using any questionable schemes. So not happy about being forced to deal with the Thai system now, sick of it all.

Have you received some notification?

I have had nothing,,,, I did Thai returns to claim back withholding tax, many years ago. The interest rates became negligible, the RD stopped sending me reminders, so I stopped too.  Covid came along muddying the waters.....I too am certainly not looking forward to being pestered by them. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Have you received some notification?

I have had nothing,,,, I did Thai returns to claim back withholding tax, many years ago. The interest rates became negligible, the RD stopped sending me reminders, so I stopped too.  Covid came along muddying the waters.....I too am certainly not looking forward to being pestered by them. 

Nothing, but with Jan 1st here, we are required to deal with it, if we like it or not. I don't want to break the rules, which is why I am not happy about having to deal with it. For now I understand it to mean money remitted, so I won't remit anything this year, this way I can see what others deal with when they file their taxes in 2025 for the year 2024.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 8:08 PM, jacko45k said:

... I also dispute that they 'vary widely'.

Each person's pension yields a different value pay cheque depending on how long and how much they contributed. The pensioner that worked longer, making more contributions, will get a larger pot to piss in than someone who didn't.

• Confused 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:52 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Too bad other countries don't tax income... oh wait... they do.  This is a measure by Thailand to collect tax from those who don't pay... it is not aimed at pensions, SSI, or other previously taxed income... it's aimed at those that are generating income and not paying their fair share.

Using facts in here? Don't you know it is all about their feels and knee-jerk outrage at everything

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:54 AM, worrab said:

With your allowances here and the tax ladder, I doubt very much you will have any tax to pay. Plus your proof of having paid tax in UK.

No, no, no; let them leave based on false impressions. The less "taxation is theft" folks around the better - especially when they don't comprehend what taxation is. 

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

When were the savings earned? If they were earned prior to 1 January 2024 (which I imagine they must have been), those savings can be imported free of tax. Our present understanding is that transfer of funds represents income that must be assessed for Thai tax, because it exceeds the minimum assessible income threshold to file a tax return. No tax will be due, because those savings were earned (presumably) before 1 January 2024 and are exempt under the current rules. This may seem like an unnecessary process but it does make sense in that it allows the RD to understand the nature of the source of the funds and to account for a decent sized funds transfer. 

Are you now practicing illeism?

This is "your" understanding not "our" as you rightly wrote in another thread: "Not everyone agrees with the above interpretation and it has been the subject of much debate".

My view along with many others' is that offshore sourced income derived by a Thai tax resident before 1 Jan 2024 is not subject to Thai personal income tax as per instruction No. Por. 162/2566. Therefore remitting this money into Thailand never requires, alone, to file a tax return.

13 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Hi. 

Following visits to both my local immigration and RD offices yesterday, I was reassured by both that no additional documentation is required for a visa extension. 

Joe

I have to do my extension next week.  I will see how it goes.  I am going 45 days early in case there is some new moronic time wasting requirement.  Just doing another map of my house location drawn by hand.  This ridiculous requirement was introduced 12 or so years back as I recall.  So immigration have at least a dozen pieces of my artwork. 

I wonder what gallery they sell them to?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

Me too.  PM me to let me know how you go and I will do the same.

I will but , my bad, I just checked and it will be next month .

17 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Well said mate - and a totally rational and logical statement about the illogal and irrational 'thing' that is the Thailand Bureacracy and Government. May I add to your list - cannabis reform, TAT and their predictions,  annual extensions, health insurance, tourist tax on arrival, building new airport buildings, roads and monorails, dealing with the smoke problems, the last election, and ........... there is so much more, but enough for now. This place is a totally disorganised rabble of rampant corruption and nepotism - the odds of them getting this new tax rule correct and not absolutely screing it up - are higher than Man Utd winning the Champions League this year.  Plan well folks and be ready - who knows how this will end up - could be great (through sheer luck), and it could be an absolute clusterphar.......... 

Isn't that what we should hope for in a way? In that case Thailand would become really cheap again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Mine is due in late feb. But I will be doing it 45 days early.

If you do it 45 days early , does it start 45 days earlier which would mean that you lose about a month or does it start when the current one expires?

Would you happen to know?  

Because if I would also like to do it as early as it is avowed, who knows what the Thai goverment will come up with in 45 days . 

51 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I have to do my extension next week.  I will see how it goes.  I am going 45 days early in case there is some new moronic time wasting requirement.  Just doing another map of my house location drawn by hand.  This ridiculous requirement was introduced 12 or so years back as I recall.  So immigration have at least a dozen pieces of my artwork. 

I wonder what gallery they sell them to?

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If you do it 45 days early , does it start 45 days earlier which would mean that you lose about a month or does it start when the current one expires?

Would you happen to know?  

Because if I would also like to do it as early as it is avowed, who knows what the Thai goverment will come up with in 45 days . 

Why are you all so worried? In any case, we are talking about the tax declaration request from 1 January 2025 until 30 March, so all requests for extensions this year are like the usual requests.

Therefore it can be assumed that they will be requested from 1 January 2026 if they are linked to the extension request.

Edited by BE88
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

My best guess is that they need at least 10 million backpackers more, just to compensate for this, if most of us do this.

Personally I think you are, as many have before you, overestimating the number and effect of those who reduce their spend dramatically or become non resident. I doubt the ones in power would notice or even care.

Whilst people may be able to live on current funds for a year or so or make reductions in spending I doubt many can do so indefinitely. 

As someone potentially affected it would certainly cost me more to arrange my affairs to be non-resident than pay the potential tax due which would be painful but not exceedingly egregious........:wink:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Isn't that what we should hope for in a way? In that case Thailand would become really cheap again.

True - and hope by all means - but also it is wise to plan for what happens if what you hope for does not come to pass. If you are a Man Utd fan I would not buy a ticket to the Final and hope. 

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

No.  If you do it 45 days early the renewal date is the same.  That is you get one year from the expiry date of your current extension.  Some offices only allow 30 days but mine is 45.  I always do it early because there is always some idiotic new requirement or often completely new staff in the office.

Thank you for that clarification

Our IO in Khon Kaen is also very reasonable and helpful , unlike some of the horror stories that I read from others at other locations, it is actuary a pleasure to work with them here,I bet they would also be acomonationg. I will give them a call and ask.

I am also in the same mindframe as you, who knows what else they will come up in the next month, especially in view of the new tax situation,

So I better get while the getting is good,:laugh:

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Our online company and all people who live here, which is about 20 people in total, all stopped sending money to Thailand and do same as you said. Will cost them many millions in VAT alone yearly as you say. Aside from not buying a condo, car etc etc anymore.

I even will do all my shopping in Vietnam from now on if I ever need a new macbook, iphone etc. I wonder if the THB is gonna crash soon as they must see serious less foreign funds coming in, as tourism isn't close to back what it was.

My best guess is that they need at least 10 million backpackers more, just to compensate for this, if most of us do this.

Dollar will decline in spending power due to the 8+ trillion they need to put in the Fed Balance Sheet.

So Thailand will have to devalue their currency like all other countries to remain competitive for exports (10,000 THB bribe makes sense then).

So yeah, if holding fiat convert to something else...