Vietnam retirement

25 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Doesn't mention anything about visas. 

A link within that link does, and includes:-

At the time of writing, it isn’t possible to get a visa for tourism purposes with a validity of longer than 30 days, and Vietnam does not offer a retirement visa. Some people manage to stay longer by leaving the country at the end of their 30 days, then returning with a new e-visa. However, the days of easy visa runs are over, and not everyone receives approval for a second 30-day e-visa. It is unlikely that you could remain in Vietnam, even by making monthly visa runs, for more than a few months."

I have no opinion on the accuracy, but it was last updated August 2022.

• Like 1

Various online publications have been posting these "Vietnam is one of the best places in the world to retire!!" articles regularly for years, and they somehow always manage to omit the fact that there's not actually any visa that would permit it.

I know folks who lived in Vietnam for decades on tourist visas and bogus business visas, but the authorities began cracking down on that a couple of years ago, and it's no longer a realistic way to spend an extended time there. As noted above, marrying a Vietnamese is really the only option for an indefinite stay at this point.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

Recently visited Sapa, Hanoi and Hoi An. Pollution is a major problem and things like sanitation and cleaning the streets dont get done. They have very limited food options compared to Thailand and if you dont like Pho, you'll be hard pressed to enjoy the place.  Some things like Fanispan Mountain are awesome and well maintained.  

20231226_135037.jpg

I think that that's a rain cloud, rather than pollution 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I think that that's a rain cloud, rather than pollution 

He is not talking about the photo but about the cities Sapa, Hanoi and Hoi An

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

That's interesting. My impression was just the opposite. Nice people, very helpful. And in addition everywhere good coffee, croissants and in the morning fresh baguettes. And for those who need many churches.

Really a country to live.

I will hope the visa regulations will suit retirees soon.

Good coffee hard to find here

• Agree 1

https://immigration.gov.vn/

Thank you all for the interesting informations and it is clear that places can be different hence different assessments of Vietnam.

As for the visa retirement, despite my research on the official website of the Vietnamese government, it seems that it does not yet exist and the government, but there are legal studies from Vietnam that prove the opposite but and it depends on which country you are from.

The question remains open.

https://accgroup.vn/mau-don-xin-nghi-huu#googtrans(en|en)

Edited by BE88
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why even bother? I've been to Vietnam three times and I walked away terribly unimpressed. I find most people in Vietnam to be very distant, some of them as cold as fish. No thanks, I'll stick with Thailand, I like my friends they're fun to be around and they're very light-hearted. 

You must have met the wrong people. Most of the Vietnamese that I know are delightful, friendly and welcoming people, but it takes all sorts to make a world.

Edited by roquefort
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Nobody above has mentioned it but I read that one major point about Vietnam was, the people in the South are friendly, and the people in the North are unfriendly.

The bias based on the western support for the South during the war?

So, the people in the North don't like westerners?

I visited the South for a week and it was fine apart from the excessive number of motorbikes on the roads.

I do remember asking Immigration on arrival if I could extend my stay visa (3 weeks?) - totally unfriendly - and that was at Saigon in the South.

I felt as though I had arrived in China or Hong Kong/Macau - you are not allowed to ask questions.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John49 said:

Nobody above has mentioned it but I read that one major point about Vietnam was, the people in the South are friendly, and the people in the North are unfriendly.

I've found the opposite. Northerners are much more friendly....and nobody mentions the war.

5 hours ago, BE88 said:

https://immigration.gov.vn/

Thank you all for the interesting informations and it is clear that places can be different hence different assessments of Vietnam.

As for the visa retirement, despite my research on the official website of the Vietnamese government, it seems that it does not yet exist and the government, but there are legal studies from Vietnam that prove the opposite but and it depends on which country you are from.

The question remains open.

https://accgroup.vn/mau-don-xin-nghi-huu#googtrans(en|en)

This is an application form for a retirement pension. What's it got to do with a retirement visa?

12 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

This article and form are concerned with Vietnamese people applying for local retirement/pension benefits, not about foreigners getting retirement visas.

I just wrote the same answer. People are strange!

Why move to another 3rd world country? Better to stay here. In the 15 years I have been here there have been many advances. One can always hope for more but a lot has been achieved. Why go another 40 years back in time? 

10 hours ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

Recently visited Sapa, Hanoi and Hoi An. Pollution is a major problem and things like sanitation and cleaning the streets dont get done. They have very limited food options compared to Thailand and if you dont like Pho, you'll be hard pressed to enjoy the place.  Some things like Fanispan Mountain are awesome and well maintained.  

20231226_135037.jpg

I find the food outstanding. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roquefort said:

You must have met the wrong people. Most of the Vietnamese that I know are delightful, friendly and welcoming people, but it takes all sorts to make a world.

Exactly, the people I met were all great! They actually seemed happy to have me visiting their country.

Where I stayed in danang, there were over a dozen different kinds of international dining within walking distance of my room.

the food was great!

mever had a bad moment in Vietnam.

I find myself and others spending more time there than in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

20231226_135037.jpg

I don't eat beef or pork so I'm completely lost in a place that offers only Pho for food since it's made out of pork bone broth. I find a lot of the food in Vietnam to be amazing, but you have to step it up to the gourmet level to have access to a wide variety of dishes. Thailand is far more versatile when it comes to food. I love the Thai food I can good Thai food most places that I go. 

And I just prefer the people. I find Thais to be light-hearted, I find most Vietnamese to be heavy-hearted. 

13 hours ago, Deerculler said:

Strange.

I found the Vietnamese people in Hanoi to be very friendly.

It may have been because I was traveling with my Thai woman and she has kind of a Pan Asian look, she can pass as being Vietnamese so they might have been put off by the fact that I was with what they thought was a local gal. I hear that's less commonplace in Vietnam than it is in Thailand, so it could have been a part of their coldness and aloofness. We are both quite friendly, so it wasn't us.