Allegedly Intoxicated Thai Woman Causes Car Pileup on Jomtien Beach

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Ms. Surapha was reported by police to be visibly injured on the head and reeked of alcohol. She was accompanied by an unidentified foreign boyfriend. Pattaya police said the Thai woman was uncooperative as she repeatedly shouted at the officers, rescue workers, and press and denied being drunk.

She might just regret that in the morning... 

• Confused 1

Allegedly drunk  :cheesy: her blood alcohol level was a staggering 189 milligrams, far exceeding the legal limit of 50mg per deciliter. Staggering seems a very appropriate word.  :drunk:

25 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:
4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

And there we have it again! Lack of respect and no possibility to take responsibility.

Respect and responsibility. Setting the barca little high, lol

Maybe, but that's a drunk thing.  Not a Thai thing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, loong said:

That would be a great idea for the government to reduce the road death statistics.

Give everyone with a motorbike a car to replace the bike.

With all those cars on the road instead of bikes - near zero accidents and near zero deaths because traffic would be at a standstill most of the time!

I'd never dream of proposing that.  The sad economic reality is that most Thai families cannot afford a car.   But most of the guys reading this can.

And that means I can afford to keep myself safer.  I have that luxury.  But it's a choice.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Note time of the crash: 2:30 in the morning. I don't even walk to local 7/11 after midnight. Too many doped/drunk types out in the wee hours

Woodwork squeaks and out come the freaks

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Allegedly drunk  :cheesy: her blood alcohol level was a staggering 189 milligrams, far exceeding the legal limit of 50mg per deciliter. Staggering seems a very appropriate word.  :drunk:

Take that with a grain of salt. The machines are somewhat delicate and need to be properly calibrated.....  Was she over .05?  Most likely.  Was she .189 ?   I highly doubt it. 

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Ms. Surapha was reported by police to have visible injuries to her head and reeked of alcohol. She was accompanied by an unidentified foreign boyfriend. Pattaya police said the Thai woman was uncooperative as she repeatedly shouted at the officers, rescue workers, and press and denied being drunk.

Women should'nt drink alcohol!

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'd never dream of proposing that.  The sad economic reality is that most Thai families cannot afford a car.   But most of the guys reading this can.

And that means I can afford to keep myself safer.  I have that luxury.  But it's a choice.

I have both because the bike is often more convenient (in the day time) or the Wife is using the car. 

We did have two cars and I did 1000 km in a year and realised there was no need for my car at all, so I have the bike for when needed.

BUT... as you mentioned about keeping ourselves safe... (or as safe as practical)... I don't ride at night,  wear a full face helmet etc - of course, there are no absolutes and nothing is 100% safe - but avoiding the roads at night time removes a lot of the risk.

Odds would also be improved for all of us (all road users and pedestrians) - if the Police did there jobs and started dishing out severe penalties for people who break the law in such an extreme manner... IMO, this woman deserves 6 months in prison, but that is only valuable if EVERYONE faces the same severe penalties such that it serves as a strong deterent to behave in such an antisocial manner. 

• Thumbs Up 1

They need to give these DUI  prison sentences , the Government needs to show

it's serious about this anti social behaviour , a few points on license (if you have one) ,

and a fine is not acceptable .

regards worgeordie

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Take that with a grain of salt. The machines are somewhat delicate and need to be properly calibrated.....  Was she over .05?  Most likely.  Was she .189 ?   I highly doubt it. 

I'm only quoting from the FULL STORY.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Time for the ‘unidentified foreigner’ to trade her in for a better model. 

I don't know about that.  I'd have to see photos.  He may be punching way out of his weight class.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

So she was nearly four times the legal limit?

Why is that so totally unbelievable (he ponders while looking at eight wrecked cars)?

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why is that so totally unbelievable (he ponders while looking at eight wrecked cars)?

It is because most people would pass out before getting that wasted.  .05 is buzzed, .08 (the old limit) is drunk. I'd be surprised if she could walk at .189

If it goes to court the first thing any decent lawyer would do is request the calibration dates for the machine and verification that the officer who conducted the test was certified to do so. 

If Thai courts function as they do in the West, the impaired charge would be dropped if either the machine or operator wasn't up to snuff. It then becomes a civil matter over the property damage. Since the impaired charge was thrown out her insurance company would likely have to pick up the tab and she'd walk away with a clean record. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

It is because most people would pass out before getting that wasted.  .05 is buzzed, .08 (the old limit) is drunk. I'd be surprised if she could walk at .189

If it goes to court the first thing any decent lawyer would do is request the calibration dates for the machine and verification that the officer who conducted the test was certified to do so. 

If Thai courts function as they do in the West, the impaired charge would be dropped if either the machine or operator wasn't up to snuff. It then becomes a civil matter over the property damage. Since the impaired charge was thrown out her insurance company would likely have to pick up the tab and she'd walk away with a clean record. 

to each his own I guess, but with 0.08 the average person is only slightly inebriated, albeit with significantly increased reaction times. that's why this was the old limit in Thailand as well as in many European countries.

here is an overview:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/nursing-and-health-professions/alcohol-blood-level

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:
1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

She certainly couldn't drive, which, if you remember, is exactly what happened.

Anyway, you already killed your own argument when you started with "most people". For example, my sister, after a dozen plus pints of McEwans, could easily climb onto a small lounge bar table, cross both her legs behind her head and sing 'The Fog on the Tyne' while others with a lower imbibe couldn't stand up or even remember the words.

I trust you are familiar with the term 'outliers'?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

She certainly couldn't drive, which, if you remember, is exactly what happened.

Anyway, you already killed your own argument when you started with "most people". For example, my sister, after a dozen plus pints of McEwans, could easily climb onto a small lounge bar table, cross both her legs behind her head and sing 'The Fog on the Tyne' while others with a lower imbibe couldn't stand up or even remember the words.

I trust you are familiar with the term 'outliers'?

I really didn’t need that picture in my head…