Thai air force to battle surging fine dust pollution crisis

webfact

16 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Obviously not trying to alert those in Pattaya, in case the tourists go elsewhere, but currently 127, and yesterday morning peeked at 156.

Screenshot_20240116-074707_AirVisual.thumb.jpg.c27e13544055a398410035a8b1f0a327.jpg

Obvious call to confine themselves to indoor activities.

10 minutes ago, john donson said:

still it does not work in desert and mostly it works when it is about to rain

ahum...

Don't believe anyone has equated Thailand with a desert - perhaps in the future but at this time humidity is nothing like a desert even at the driest of times.  But a few local storms are not going to have much effect even if successful.

Just hope that the Baslers, Dakotas with turbo props, start in the area where they are based.....Phitsanulok Airport.

My lawn needs watering!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, but am I missing something?

I see no relevance in your link about UK air quality, and how that is in anyway related to Thailand.

One is a science based report based on collected data and analysis, the other is a dinosaur in uniform, telling us how they are going to drop water vapour from an old (seemly unsafe from his comments) aircraft and they will do more in the future, if they buy some more aircraft. Nothing like planning ahead, as the pollution is so unexpected, not!

I didn't read anything in the article that suggested that the aircraft to be used were in anyway unsafe. The Basler BT-67 is, of course a remodeled and much updated DC 3, (C47 to military types) a model which, in the eyes of many aviation pundits, is regarded as the most successful aircraft in aviation history.

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Using planes to combat dust is akin to using boats to prevent river floods.

Perhaps more akin to mixing petrol with water to extinguish a fire?

The aircraft will be pumping ultrafine particulates from their engines at the same time as they are cloud seeding:

"Soot particles emitted by gas turbine engines are, to a large extent, ultrafine, with mobility diameters typically below 100 nm and are generally smaller than those observed in road traffic exhaust. Such small particles deposit with high efficiency in the entire respiratory tract and are supposedly more toxic than larger ones and therefore require special consideration."

https://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-019-0332-7#Abs1

It is perhaps worth remembering that the Thai government is more than just supportive of plans to increase the number of tourist flights/aircraft in Thailands skies, indeed it eagerly anticipates the increase.......as many as possible, as quickly as possible.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, eyeman said:

What I don't understand many of the elite and the dinosaurs have their own offspring in the affected cities, do they think because their little spoilt brats only shop at IconSiam and Emporium and prance about between instagram coffee shops all day before getting into their driver's Toyota Alphard that they won't be affected? Air purifiers are only going to do so much..

Their kids only have to live long enough to give them grandsons and help them in retirement.  Who cares if they live past 50?  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1