Was 1-year extending, money not 'seasoned' long enough, was told to do this...

So I typically get a 1-year extension of my non-O based on marriage to a Thai. However, a cock-up means with a couple of weeks left on my current extension we had not had the required 400k in a Thai bank account for 2 months. I put the money in there and we were told over the phone to prepare all the docs as per usual and go to immigration at CW and see if they would be able to extend to give us more time to season the money.

However, once there we were told this was not possible and that I would have to leave the country, the two options being apply for a new non-O outside of the country, wait the required time, then come back to CW and get the 1-year extension, OR do a border hop and come back in 30 days visa-exempt, go to CW and apply for the single entry non-O, then once the money has been in my account for the necessary time come back again and apply for the 1-year extension.

Now, I think I prefer the second option, but I wasn't aware that you could actually apply within Thailand for a non-O visa in this way. My question is, is that definitely correct? My wife and I asked a couple more times to be sure I hadn't misunderstood and the lady insisted. Has anyone here done such a thing? Forgive my ignorance if this is totally commonplace.

While I'm here, it's been so many years since I did a Cambodia border hop. Is there anything I should know? Anywhere I shouldn't go? A particular crossing that's good? I'm thinking we'll go to Pong Nam Ron, but is that still a good option from Bangkok? I recall the last place I went was small and quiet and I rather liked it, but I can't remember now which particular crossing it was. All my old stamps in old passports (last went in the mid-10s) seem to say Pong Nam Ron but I distinctively remember going to a different place the last time.

Thank you very much in advance for any info and/or advice anyone has. :smile: 🙏

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have you previously obtained a 60 day extension to visit wife? 

Yes, and that's what prevented me getting more time to season the money, right? I don't quite get it because of course I've had a couple of 1-year extensions on this same visa so what's different with 60 days? I.e. why not 60 days, 1 year, 1 year, 60 days, 1 year for example? But that's the rules, it seems, and why I have to leave the country at this point, correct?

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not 60 days to visa wife per extension. 

If you for example exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt in order to obtain new non O then in future you will be able to obtain a "60 day extension to visit wife" sometime in the future. 

BTW enter visa exempt and obtain non O (marriage) and subsequent extension is easy process.

As for border bounce don't use Poipet. 

Where are you located. 

I see. Thank you. So in effect once I get the 1-year extension I will have a 60-day one sort of in my pocket, so to speak, in case I need it?

That's reassuring. We wouldn't expect any issues with getting the non O and the 1-year extension if not for the money cock-up, but I just didn't know I could be visa exempt on the 30 days as a tourist and rock up at CW and apply for the single entry non O there. That's cool.

We're in Talingchan, almost in Nonthaburi. Poipet is one I went to years ago and I recall it being extremely busy and a bit hectic. Much preferred Pong Nam Ron, but I'm open to any suggestions. Any decent non-Cambodia options?

Edited by fauxie

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not 60 days to visa wife per extension. 

If you for example exit Thailand and reenter visa exempt in order to obtain new non O then in future you will be able to obtain a "60 day extension to visit wife" sometime in the future. 

BTW enter visa exempt and obtain non O (marriage) and subsequent extension is easy process.

As for border bounce don't use Poipet. 

I see you use CW.

No issues with that office process.

Here is link and I made post with some links to other threads

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/

Thanks for the link and for all your help. We have all the stuff from when we were going to apply for the 1-year extension, so it will be easy to update what needs to be updated (like TM.30, for example) and go within a week of doing the border run. We won't need to use the photos, right? Can hold onto those for the 1-year extension. :)

24 minutes ago, fauxie said:

Any decent non-Cambodia options?

First of all ...yes with the new entry without reentry permit you will have a "60 day extension" in the bank if you ever need it. 

Yes you will need to do new TM30 when you return.

As for alternatives to Cambodia...

I don't fancy minivans so living in Bangkok I'd be up for flight to Udon Thani and shortish trip to friendship bridge. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, fauxie said:

I see. Thank you. So in effect once I get the 1-year extension I will have a 60-day one sort of in my pocket, so to speak, in case I need it?

That's reassuring. We wouldn't expect any issues with getting the non O and the 1-year extension if not for the money cock-up, but I just didn't know I could be visa exempt on the 30 days as a tourist and rock up at CW and apply for the single entry non O there. That's cool.

We're in Talingchan, almost in Nonthaburi. Poipet is one I went to years ago and I recall it being extremely busy and a bit hectic. Much preferred Pong Nam Ron, but I'm open to any suggestions. Any decent non-Cambodia options?

The immigration office at Pong Nam Ron (a district in Chantaburi Province) isn't on the border.  The nearest crossing to it is Ban Pakkard, which is a bit out of the way, so usually a very quiet one.  Both are circled on the first map.  You can get a visa on arrival on the Cambodian side.

image.png.faf062a06223978603f27f5d4ceca504.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ballpoint said:

The immigration office at Pong Nam Ron (a district in Chantaburi Province) isn't on the border.  The nearest crossing to it is Ban Pakkard, which is a bit out of the way, so usually a very quiet one.  Both are circled on the first map.  You can get a visa on arrival on the Cambodian side.

image.png.faf062a06223978603f27f5d4ceca504.png

Thanks. It was probably Baan Pakkard I used to go to, only the stamps always said Pong Nam Ron on them just the same due to the area.

Yes, you can get a non-o visa while in Thailand.  I entered Thailand on a tourist visa, applied for and obtained a non-o and then towards the end of the 90 day non-o I applied for and received my first retirement extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, statman78 said:

Yes, you can get a non-o visa while in Thailand.  I entered Thailand on a tourist visa, applied for and obtained a non-o and then towards the end of the 90 day non-o I applied for and received my first retirement extension.

At what point and terms did you need the 400k cash?

I slipped up last year with not having the 400k for 2 days in the 2 month seasoning period. After more than 20 years was told that I had to start the marriage visa all over again. Went to Poi Pet, unfortunately and had to stay overnight. The Cambodian side was ok but the reception on the Thai side was awful. Rude and arrogant. Got back to Nakhon Sawan and was given a 90 day extension in order for the seasoning to take place once more. Finally got the new visa last week. An unpleasant experience when you're almost 80 years old

On 1/17/2024 at 12:34 PM, fauxie said:

Now, I think I prefer the second option, but I wasn't aware that you could actually apply within Thailand for a non-O visa in this way. My question is, is that definitely correct? My wife and I asked a couple more times to be sure I hadn't misunderstood and the lady insisted. Has anyone here done such a thing? Forgive my ignorance if this is totally commonplace.

It's possible. I did it in 2022 to cancel my Non O-A visa status and restart with a regular Non-O.

Did this with a border run to Nong Khai/Vientiane. Completely smooth and no issues.

The "visa" from immigration office is somewhat special as it is "used" on same day as it is issued and you are given 90 days permission to stay as if entered with a Non-O.

There is an under consideration period after applying for the visa.

So in total three visits to immigration to finally get the one year stamp.

Edited by KhunBENQ

There is another option - get a new single or multi entry 12 month Visa to visit Thai family from Laos.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311768-multiple-non-o-marriage-visa-in-savannakhet-november-2023-report/

You will need certain things done, because you are starting again (bank, medical, police, etc). 

I am thinking about doing that every year myself, instead of the ever changing and complex annual extension process with home visit. But I figure they will eventually shut that Laos option down if too many Expats do it. But in your situation it seems like the way to go - take a brief holiday to Laos and get a new Visa valid for 12 months.  Maybe do it again next year, or you can decide to do an extension at that time.

One thing I would definitely consider is to change your Visa start date away from anytime between December and March. That is the 'peak' season and the Thai IOs are overworked and more angry than usual during that period. Maybe get a 60 or 90 day Visa to visit the family from Laos or Cambodia - and then decide which way to get 12 months - either a new Visa or an extension. 

The third alternative would have been to just give one of the immigration officials a bribe, and they would have produced bank statements for you and it would have been a fully official visa. Sounds like a lot less work to me. 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:08 PM, fauxie said:

You can get 1 x 60 day 'visit Thai wife' extension each entry into Thailand excluding re-entry permit entries.

Edited by steve187

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The third alternative would have been to just give one of the immigration officials a bribe, and they would have produced bank statements for you and it would have been a fully official visa. Sounds like a lot less work to me. 

That's what the agent does.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2024 at 1:08 PM, fauxie said:

Any decent non-Cambodia options?

Overnight train to Hat Yai and morning shuttle to Pedang Besar. You go through immigration at the station, can then walk to village and have some lunch. Return to station and get afternoon shuttle back to Hat Yai then overnight to Bangkok. Train & Shuttle come to about 1000 baht each way.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

That's what the agent does.

Of course, but you can just as easily do it within the office as the vast majority of the immigration agents are crooked and it's easier and very official. 

On 1/17/2024 at 5:34 AM, fauxie said:

While I'm here, it's been so many years since I did a Cambodia border hop. Is there anything I should know?

There's a new Cambodia on-line E arrival app which should be completed before you travel.  I'm not sure of exactly what it needs but a mate who's there just now mentioned it.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:04 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

There is another option - get a new single or multi entry 12 month Visa to visit Thai family from Laos.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1311768-multiple-non-o-marriage-visa-in-savannakhet-november-2023-report/

You will need certain things done, because you are starting again (bank, medical, police, etc). 

I am thinking about doing that every year myself, instead of the ever changing and complex annual extension process with home visit. But I figure they will eventually shut that Laos option down if too many Expats do it. But in your situation it seems like the way to go - take a brief holiday to Laos and get a new Visa valid for 12 months.  Maybe do it again next year, or you can decide to do an extension at that time.

One thing I would definitely consider is to change your Visa start date away from anytime between December and March. That is the 'peak' season and the Thai IOs are overworked and more angry than usual during that period. Maybe get a 60 or 90 day Visa to visit the family from Laos or Cambodia - and then decide which way to get 12 months - either a new Visa or an extension. 

Cheers for the suggestion. However, I don't think I want to go back to the 1-year multi-entries. I got a bunch of those back in the 00s and 10s and back then we were cool with doing trips every 3 months, but now tend to travel a lot at certain times of the year and hardly at all at others (well, rainy season, basically). We have no issues with the extension, and have much of the stuff like photos ready from when we just went there. We just messed up with the money in the bank this time so were scrambling a bit and hoping for a convenient solution. Never had a home visit, incidentally.

Noted about the visa start date. At this rate I guess it'll be starting March or April by the time we're doing the extension part again.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 12:24 AM, treetops said:

There's a new Cambodia on-line E arrival app which should be completed before you travel.  I'm not sure of exactly what it needs but a mate who's there just now mentioned it.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks. I had a look online and it says it takes 3 working days, but we're leaving in a van on Tuesday. I wonder if it can be done using the app there and then or whether there is still a traditional non-digital way but perhaps for an additional fee? 🤔

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, fauxie said:

Surely you can turn up at the border and enter Cambodia in a traditional fashion, right? :unsure: Right?? :crying:

No problem, that is what I have done three times 

3 minutes ago, flexomike said:

No problem, that is what I have done three times 

Excellent. Thank you. And that was recently? I've not been to Cambodia for a border hop in about 10 years.

4 hours ago, fauxie said:

Excellent. Thank you. And that was recently? I've not been to Cambodia for a border hop in about 10 years.

Did my last border run to Ban Pakadd about one year ago and converted it to a non O, in and out the same day, they hit you up for a little donation at the border, can't remember how much extra I paid for the in and out think it was 500 baht, didn't need to cross the border

,t

Just now, flexomike said:

Did my last border run to Ban Pakadd about one year ago and converted it to a non O, in and out the same day, they hit you up for a little donation at the border, can't remember how much extra I paid for the in and out think it was 500 baht, didn't need to cross the border

,t

I got my Cambodian visa at the border, can't remember what I paid, I think it was about 30US dollars

4 hours ago, flexomike said:

I got my Cambodian visa at the border, can't remember what I paid, I think it was about 30US dollars

Thanks for the info. I remember I always paid more than 30 USD, not least because I always paid in THB. I'll go with an expectation of paying a bit over the odds then.

• Like 1