Thai's Cutting In Line

7 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

normal, part of life here regardless if you are a thai or farang

Why would they be getting served first??

Maybe they figure I'm already committed to the transaction so payment is guaranteed, while the person just approaching is not so they get served first?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Is this getting worse or am I just noticing it more?

Counted 3x so far today buying something or service oriented interactions where my transaction is already in process and someone (Thai) walks up, orders or requests while I'm standing there, and the person I'm with immediately serves them first and ignores me, sometimes with a drawn out conversation before they conclude, while I'm standing there waiting.

Is this disrespectful here in Thailand? I thought it was 🤷🏻‍♂️. Feels like a racist Thai first thing.

It's not a disrespect thing. Just normal for a lot of SE Asia.

Thais are not taught 'queueing'. It's a relatively new thing.

You can go with the flow or educate them one at a time. Up to you.

13 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Happens often and it's frustrating but I'm starting to learn to just ignore it.

What does grind my gears though (and it seems to happen in 7-11 so so often), is that I'm being served on the till by one member of staff and all they have left to do is give me my change. Then the person on the till next to them has a problem, so the person serving me immediately hops over to help them for a couple of minutes until that customer (usually Thai) is done, and then comes back to me for the 5 seconds needed to give me my change.

How often does that happen to you ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Counted 3x so far today buying something or service oriented interactions where my transaction is already in process and someone (Thai) walks up, orders or requests while I'm standing there, and the person I'm with immediately serves them first and ignores me,

Just say to both of them "Excuse me, she is dealing with me at the moment and she will serve you when she's finished serving me "

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've also had this before...   But usually the staff are alert enough to deal with it appropriately and ask them to wait.

It has happened where the staffer diverts their attention, it is then that I speak up. 

Fortunately...  its a lot more polite here than I find in a lot of other areas (France is a shocker !).

Assuming u never been to China as they are the masters at cutting lines, going to a bank whereby they provide a ticket number to each customer, they don't care, still push their way through and the majority of the employees let it happen

34 minutes ago, stoner said:

make your voice heard in these instances regardless of how thai feel. stand with your own convictions of what you feel is disrespectful.

But then watch them like a hawk, lest they spit in your drink or your dish.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

you could always speak in thai. 

There is this whole social embarrassment thing here that makes me reluctant to call people out. It feels like challenging someone for anything is overkill.

If it was in the Usa I would just call them out in it and see your point.

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

Is it done mostly among the poorer classes there, or the wealthy also?

It's mainly by the better off Saudis who think they are "special". We are just infidels, so it's only right that they can q jump in front of us.

BTW, the "poorer classes" would be the "guest workers". Other than the Bedouin ( wonderful people ) I never saw a poor Saudi.

It seems some Thais do multitasking like that. And other Thais are used to it.

Sometime when I go to my regular coffee shop and in front of me is someone who can't make up his mind which sandwich he should order, I use the same method. I tell them from the second row "a double espresso and a chocolate croissant". Then the people next to the cashier can prepare that already, and it's ready for me when I actually pay, after the person in front of me finally made up his mind.

Obviously some farang who needs 5 min to select a sandwich doesn't like that, but that is his problem, not my problem. ;) 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

They usually don't speak English well.

Sign language, gesticulation....ME No 1, YOU no 2.

Happens in banks and hospitals. Sitting at a desk with the Bank girl  and someone comes and asks a question. They then have a 5 minute conversation. Or at the Doctors, in the middle of my talk with her, phone rings and she was on for 10 minutes, while still writing my diagnosis and prescription. I complemented her on her ability to multi-task.

I see something similar riding motorcycle.

Let's say I am behind a car and there is just no way to overtake it. So maybe I have 2m distance to the car.

Then some idiot comes with his bike from the back and squeezes into that 2m "gap" in front of me. Obviously he also can't pass the car.

If I see that happening, then I make sure there is no gap. Go to the back again! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Is this getting worse or am I just noticing it more?

Counted 3x so far today buying something or service oriented interactions where my transaction is already in process and someone (Thai) walks up, orders or requests while I'm standing there, and the person I'm with immediately serves them first and ignores me, sometimes with a drawn out conversation before they conclude, while I'm standing there waiting.

Is this disrespectful here in Thailand? I thought it was 🤷🏻‍♂️. Feels like a racist Thai first thing.

A few traits that are part of the culture in Thailand comes into play here.

First, Thais are very very selfish. The list of examples are just too numerous to make a list here now.

So this will make them just hijack the attention of a person, to affirm the selfishness.

Now the person whose attention has been hijacked, a salesperson perhaps, will automatically give his or her attention to the hijacker, because failure to do so would make the hijacker lose face. One heck of a no no here in Thai culture.

Then as foreigner, it is incumbent upon us to call out the hijack, since the Thai individual is more likely to take a bow, as he, or she, instinctively knows that foreigners are not part of this culture... And while doing so, they strangely still totally ignore the person that they are trying to sidestep...

Of course, for any foreigner, it is total lack of respect, total impoliteness.

Thais may never understand that....

Edited by Andre0720
Typos
  • Like 1