Thai's Cutting In Line

22 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I was at immigration at Chang Wattana in the line for queue numbers and a Chinese man (he threw his passport at the attendant so I could see it was a Chinese passport) cut in front of me just as I got to the window.

The Thai attendant threw his passport back at him with zero hesitation and gave him a look, well if looks could kill...

Then she immediately returned to business without missing a beat, I guess they are used to handling line cutters at immigration.

No snap kick to the leg? 😉

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Can you see this happening if it was a Thai who cut in and chucked the passport?

absolutely. in thai culture it is extremely rude to throw things at people. thai or foreigner or chinese. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

there is no legal basis for this. the products never left the store. it is not the responsibility of a customer to return unwanted products to a shelf or freezer. 

Lots of things happen in Thailand which have no legal basis.

Stores do have the right to refuse entry to any customers.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The staff might remember you, and present you with a bill for the thawed goods next time around. They do have security cameras.

What for? If inside the store you haven't purchased them yet. They belong to the store pre purchase. I walked out once and left a trolley as it was too busy with little staff on. No laws broken.

• Love It 2

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That comment has no connection to the goods comment.

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Counted 3x so far today buying something or service oriented interactions where my transaction is already in process and someone (Thai) walks up, orders or requests while I'm standing there, and the person I'm with immediately serves them first and ignores me,

Don’t hesitate because nobody knows what you’re waiting for.

sometimes with a drawn out conversation before they conclude, while I'm standing there waiting.

A little patience goes a long way. Don’t read too much into it and relax.

Is this disrespectful here in Thailand

It’s a variable.

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Feels like a racist Thai first thing.

Again, don’t team into it and stop it with the raciest nonsense already…good grief!

11 minutes ago, uttradit said:

What for? If inside the store you haven't purchased them yet. They belong to the store pre purchase. I walked out once and left a trolley as it was too busy with little staff on. No laws broken.

They could try a nuisance accusation if you did not put it back or just kept taking food off the shelves for no reason, but it would have to be a very irate store owner obviously.

The best thing to do would be to load up a large cart and leave it in an aisle somewhere knowing somebody would have to take the time to re-stock it.

Just now, JimTripper said:

They could try a nuisance accusation if you did not put it back or just kept taking food off the shelves for no reason, but it would have to be a very irate store owner obviously.

The best thing to do would be to load up a large cart and leave it in an aisle somewhere knowing somebody would have to take the time to re-stock it.

No such law as nuisance. You simply changed your mind.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, novacova said:

Don’t hesitate because nobody knows what you’re waiting for.

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

sometimes with a drawn out conversation before they conclude, while I'm standing there waiting.

A little patience goes a long way. Don’t read too much into it and relax.

Don't hesitate 

A little patience

Make up your mind.

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

what does this have to do with a store trying to make you pay for products that are thawed. as you said. 

I've noticed that thai folk aren't quick at forming a line. They often come and stand to the side. Happens at dairy queen! I demand organisation 555

I had an indian bloke try and push right in front of me in 7-11. Grabbed his arm and pulled him out the way. Cheeky f@#ker.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why would you even think about doing such am immature thing ?

Deliberately causing other people problems, just because you couldn't immediately get your own way

Maybe you think that you should be entitled to preferential treatment, just because you are a foreigner  .

You just have to queue up and wait your turn rather than petulantly causing mischief and storming off 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

I've noticed that thai folk aren't quick at forming a line. They often come and stand to the side. Happens at dairy queen! I demand organisation 555

I had an indian bloke try and push right in front of me in 7-11. Grabbed his arm and pulled him out the way. Cheeky f@#ker.

7/11 purchases might be 30 seconds waiting.

22 minutes ago, stoner said:

what does this have to do with a store trying to make you pay for products that are thawed. as you said. 

Perhaps you do not understand the principle of taking responsibility for your actions.

3 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If I see a person who is busy and in a rush , and they just want to make a quick purchase , I don't mind them pushing in front of me .

I've done it myself a few times when the clock says 11.58 PM

On one occasion I had a trolley full of goods at the checkout and there were people behind me, I woman came up with two items and asked me if she could jump in, I said OK as soon as she was served another woman did the same, I then said no. There were other people behind me to think about.

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

On one occasion I had a trolley full of goods at the checkout and there were people behind me, I woman came up with two items and asked me if she could jump in, I said OK as soon as she was served another woman did the same, I then said no. There were other people behind me to think about.

Well done for not abandoning your trolley and running off home and trying to sabotage the shops good just because someone was in front of you in the queue , seems quite a lot of posters on here would have got the trop and stormed off 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I like those checkout lanes at the Big C. You can't squeeze past. Just keep the cart behind you, not in front of you, when you load the belt and pay and I'm relaxed and good to go.

Sometimes, I like to look back behind me and see everyone waiting patiently in line like good polite little people, knowing they can't push ahead and be rude because of the metal railing, and my cart in their way. 🤣

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

Up here in E-sarn it happens a lot. 

Thais will just walk to the front and put their stuff on the counter in front of mine. 

I politely pass their stuff back to them and and tell them to get to the back of the queue in Thai.

The look on their face is priceless. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Just say to both of them "Excuse me, she is dealing with me at the moment and she will serve you when she's finished serving me "

I just say in Thai: That's OK. I'm just waiting for a train.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've also had this before...   But usually the staff are alert enough to deal with it appropriately and ask them to wait.

It has happened where the staffer diverts their attention, it is then that I speak up. 

Fortunately...  its a lot more polite here than I find in a lot of other areas (France is a shocker !).

You must go to a different France than I go to, I’ve never had any problems with line cutters there. In my experience, most French people are actually very polite and helpful. Maybe you are one of those people who loves France, but thinks it’s a pity that so many French people live there?

12 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

A couple of weeks ago I was at Makro buying some ground meat. There were 3 or 4 Thais who placed their bags up to be weighed and I placed mine behind theirs. The jerk weighing and pricing the meats did all theirs then stopped before doing mine. He started screwing around on his phone while looking me right at me. He wasn't answering a call, he was just playing around on the phone. I said "screw this" to myself and left the bag there, getting some frozen meat instead. Meh.

Bet that really hurt him!

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's mainly by the better off Saudis who think they are "special". We are just infidels, so it's only right that they can q jump in front of us.

BTW, the "poorer classes" would be the "guest workers". Other than the Bedouin ( wonderful people ) I never saw a poor Saudi.

I had a theory about it being poor people. People with less seem to snatch what's available quickly, eat fast, be in a rush, etc. because they think the resource is going to get away or disappear, like they are used to. That could extend to cutting in line because they are getting it first before me.

It's primal and animal brain mentality. I think you're right about privledged people as well though, they always get served first.

During The Great Depression they must have enforced those long bread lines at the soup kitchen so everything was orderly or you did not eat. Hungry people don't usually like lines like that.

Edited by JimTripper

Associated with this, I've become annoyed at times when I've been dealing with something at hotel reception and the phone goes and they drop what they are doing with me and deal with the phone call as a priority and just leave me standing there. I usually ask why dealing with the call was more important than dealing with me, and of course they have no answer.

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Is this getting worse or am I just noticing it more?

I think you might be noticing more. I think it is a function of not being able to say anything since you probably don't speak the language, It makes it that much more aggravating and as such more noticeable. 

Been coming to Thailand for close to 20 years living here full time the past 5 , and I had noticed the practice in the past, but I must say . it has not happen to me in many many years.