‘Generation Rent’ surges in Thailand as homes become increasingly unaffordable

webfact

38 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Sometimes when I am in the car at night, I stare at the countless windows without lights in skyscrapers.

Bangkok has so many uninhabited rooms but skyscrapers keep springing up everywhere destroying Bangkok's distinctive features.

Thailand should stop developing only one city and start to develop major cities in every provinces to encourage a gradual displacement of people from the capital city.

Good idea but people seem to prefer to live reasonably close to work and within commuting distance. The further you move from the bigger cities, the harder it is to find a job to commute to, assuming that you are still close to your commuter network.

It has been said many times that Bangkok is slowly subsiding and in a couple of decades or so may be uninhabitable.

Where will people live, work and commute to, then?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Good idea but people seem to prefer to live reasonably close to work and within commuting distance. The further you move from the bigger cities, the harder it is to find a job to commute to, assuming that you are still close to your commuter network.

It has been said many times that Bangkok is slowly subsiding and in a couple of decades or so may be uninhabitable.

Where will people live, work and commute to, then?

A big development plan should of course involve job creation too. Try to imagine if the 10 families that dominate Thailand are forced to invest outside Bangkok, giving the same salaries as here.

I am not sure if people would prefer to live in a metropolis with millions of people or in a smaller city if the opportunities are the same.

Many Asian countries adopted this one-metropolis development plan, this could be good in the first years to build a certain economy, but then you should develop other neighbouring cities.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Of course they have been saying that for the last 50 years that I have been living/visiting Bangkok so would not be putting any bets on it just yet.  Of course if we succeed in melting all the worlds ice, as we seem determined to do, there may be a lot of uninhabitable cities at some point.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Jomtien, having lived there on and off (mostly on) for the last ten years. I took a job in Chanthaburi 18 months ago, and have been keeping an eye on Jomtien rents as I plan on moving back when I'm done here. I have been floored with the way rent ads have skyrocketed, nearly doubling since I left. I wonder if that's just wishful thinking on the part of the owners or if that really is what the market will bear now.

Edited by HappyExpat57

12 hours ago, zhounan said:

Many Asian countries adopted this one-metropolis development plan, this could be good in the first years to build a certain economy, but then you should develop other neighbouring cities.

Yes, and to stay in SE Asia, none of the countries developed other cities for economic or cultural reasons, but instead only a few did so due to random other reasons, such as...

- (mostly) because of the danger of severe flooding (Indonesia)

- because of megalomania of ruling generals (Myanmar), and

- because of separate political development over decades (Vietnam).

Edited by StayinThailand2much

17 hours ago, zhounan said:

Sometimes when I am in the car at night, I stare at the countless windows without lights in skyscrapers.

Bangkok has so many uninhabited rooms but skyscrapers keep springing up everywhere destroying Bangkok's distinctive features.

Thailand should stop developing only one city and start to develop major cities in every provinces to encourage a gradual displacement of people from the capital city.

Maybe you should get out of Bangkok a bit more often, many provinces in Thailand are very well developed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

i am nearly 60 and up till last year i had rented all my life. now my wife and i own our own home and the build was paid cash. this is an amazing feeling to be owner and not renter. i still walk around my house in near disbelief that i finally have my own home. 60 is late, but better late than never. i wish i had gotten a house while i was younger and i hope the new generations dont have to wait as long as i did

I did the same nearly 20 years ago.  Now I am back being an older member of Gen Rent as a farang here cannot own his own house/land & a Thai court stripped me of 75% + costing me a similar amount in legal fees.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You still aren't an owner!

Not true!!

Every time there is a thread such as this, there is always a guy who posts the above.

The person you responded said"now my wife and I own our own home  "

You can certainly own your home, with your wife  in Thailand.  

Thailand is a community property country. A house attained while married is jointly owned by both partners , in the event of the death of the wife , and where the wife did not have a will that awarded her half to someone else , the husband becomes full owner of the property.  He then has the option to either sell the property with in a Year I believe(might be more)  , or make alternate arrangement of which there are  a few options that would allowed you to stay in your home.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

You can own your own condo in Thailand, and even if the condo fees rise, it will not be like the increases in rent.

If you are lucky to have a Thai wife, then owning a house in her name is possible as well.

Renting is for people who cannot save, and live constantly beyond their means.

I see many of them in Canada as well

as other parts of the world.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, stargrazer9889 said:

You can own your own condo in Thailand, and even if the condo fees rise, it will not be like the increases in rent.

If you are lucky to have a Thai wife, then owning a house in her name is possible as well.

Renting is for people who cannot save, and live constantly beyond their means.

I see many of them in Canada as well

as other parts of the world.

You can only own some condos in Thailand.  And Thailand rents seems to be a real bargain so those renting here are likely better off than those in most other countries - rents most places seem to have been almost stagnate for decades (but admit have not followed closely).  Having a Thai wife does not make you an owner of her property - she buys property in her name with her money (as you sign your acknowledge of that).  If you inherit home you have one year to sell.  You could own a building - but not the land - and almost all homes are sold with land.

• Thumbs Up 1

Understand the simple things when we talk about real estate = China. China buys America's debt with U.S. Treasuries, which it has bought at a discount of 70% plus. Then he goes to the European Union-Asia and deposits the US bonds in Central Bank of individual country and asks them for payment in cash. Noone dares to dispute not to accept American Treasuries.......Uncle Sam will be angry.......

With the trillions of cash in his possession, the Chinese "investor" buys everything from restaurants, hotels, real estate, etc. Understand the simple things that is nothing for Chinese or Scandinavian or Qataris average citizens to come to a country with €2.000.000 -€3.000.000 and buy chain stores or real estate as deposit of their money.

If companies come, they usually do it to justify revenues from smuggling illegal "substances"......

For instance I am criminal and I want to justify illegal black money .How can I do it?

I set up an offshore company in Comores islands  in which it appears to the tax authorities that I bought or rent certain items and properties.

My profit  for example is €100 and I want to be appeared that I bought them €90. So.....I appear as the buyer of the property that I bought it for €90 from my offshore company and tax authorities tax me on ...... my profit of €10......Comores islands -Bahamas island - Figgy island -Virgin island and Switzerland -Lichtenstein -Monaco.....(European microstates......)

Edited by Paris333

13 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe you should get out of Bangkok a bit more often, many provinces in Thailand are very well developed.

Are they, you have a drive around and see all the rows empty lock ups, near me on a very main road must be 80% empty, some have been built 10 years now, a few get rented out for a business, but within a year or so, they give up, some near me are asking 2 million baht plus for a selling price.

No such thing as a free lunch, most are built on borrowed money someone has to pay it back.

And they are still building more, not as many as before, it is not all roses around the porches in the province's. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, kickstart said:

Are they, you have a drive around and see all the rows empty lock ups, near me on a very main road must be 80% empty, some have been built 10 years now, a few get rented out for a business, but within a year or so, they give up, some near me are asking 2 million baht plus for a selling price.

No such thing as a free lunch, most are built on borrowed money someone has to pay it back.

And they are still building more, not as many as before, it is not all roses around the porches in the province's. 

As you say that's near you... 

• Confused 1