‘Highly venomous’ mountain creature found lurking in Thailand. It’s a new species

webfact

9 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Next species to be hunted to extinction in Thailand. Besides birds I'm lucky to even see a squirrel here.

I am guessing you do not live in the Banwangtan mooban then. Many squirrels roam the large trees there and then the bold one like to play on the electrical lines.

This was one of the unlucky ones. Power was out for a few hours.image.thumb.jpeg.b5671aa62551520720101c68daae91e4.jpeg

• Sad 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I'm guessing Chiang Mai since that is where his profile location states...... thus my reference to Banwangtan.

Yeah, should have looked.

But then again, not all that familiar with Chiang Mai, so wouldn't know which area is which. My guess would have been that there would be more 'wildlife' about, but maybe that's just a misguided (domestic) tourist's perception.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Scientists managed to capture the venomous animal and discovered it was a new species.

...new spieces! but i have no  intention to say welcome to them, for sure!

Edited by Pique Dard

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Two Bungarus sagittatus, or barbed arrow kraits.

On a mountain in Thailand, a “highly venomous” creature moved through the darkened forest. The 3-foot-long creature had brightly colored stripes that usually served as a warning for anyone who dared approach it — but that warning failed.

Scientists managed to capture the venomous animal and discovered it was a new species.

Researchers ventured into Khao Krachom mountain on several wildlife surveys in 2022, according to a study published Jan. 30 in the peer-reviewed journal Zoosystematics and Evolution.

Searching the forest, researchers encountered several black-and-white striped snakes, the study said. Taking a closer look at the animals, researchers realized they’d discovered a new species: Bungarus sagittatus, or the barbed arrow krait.

Kraits “are a group of highly venomous snakes” found primarily in Asia, the study said.

Barbed arrow kraits can reach about 3 feet in length, the study said. They have “smooth” scales, “small” eyes and a “relatively long” tail.

Aspen Pflughoeft

Full story: MIAMI HERALD-Yahoo 2024-02-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

Glad you showed a ic I thought yo met @Stoner

29 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

I hate spelling police. Not everybody has English as his first language get that in your head !

I call them grammar nasties.

They always want to feel superior to everybody else.

If you can read and understand what is written, that is good enough.

No one is perfect, though the nasties always believe that they are.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, uttradit said:

The spelling of ridiculous is more concerning

Not likely their (they're) fault that  it's (its) the English language should be ridiculed, or at least spoken so ridiculous might not be rediculous 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I am guessing you do not live in the Banwangtan mooban then. Many squirrels roam the large trees there and then the bold one like to play on the electrical lines.

This was one of the unlucky ones. Power was out for a few hours.image.thumb.jpeg.b5671aa62551520720101c68daae91e4.jpeg

I prefer mine medium rare.

3 hours ago, Morch said:

My guess would have been that there would be more 'wildlife' about, but maybe that's just a misguided (domestic) tourist's perception.

Most of the 'wildlife' in Thailand is the two legged version.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Stew is the way to go with squirrels.

Having tasted nearly every form of wild game in the USA I can surely say that squirrel is not high on my list of favorites. In fact squirrel and groundhog were the two things I liked to hunt and when I was successful I fed what was killed to my dogs.

2 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Until today I thought all snakes slithered.

I see you haven't read the Bible.

2 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

But thanks to this intrepid reporter I found out they lurk.

This has added to my vast wealth of useless information, I thank you.

Well, lurking isn't a movement. I suppose they can lurk, if they are mentally capable of it.

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Chat GPT decided creature. The sentence is just rediculuos.

On a mountain in Thailand, a “highly venomous” creature moved through the darkened forest.

Not just moving......it was lurking.