Tragic scooter crash in Thailand leaves Queensland dad in coma

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-02-09-134952.jpg

A Queensland father’s life hangs in the balance after a scooter accident in Thailand left him in a coma, paralyzed, and burdened with astronomical medical expenses.

The ordeal sparked a desperate plea for help as his family grapples with the overwhelming financial strain.

Brenton Simmons faces a harrowing battle for survival after a fateful scooter ride in Thailand resulted in a catastrophic collision with a concrete barrier. The aftermath left the 28 year old Australian with severe brain damage and paralysis on one side of his body while his partner miraculously emerged unscathed, having worn a helmet during the heart-stopping crash.

Amid the unimaginable ordeal, Simmons’ family has rallied support through a poignant GoFundMe campaign, revealing the extent of his injuries with more than half of his brain injured, along with seven broken ribs, a broken collar bone, and a damaged eye socket.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of 7NEWS

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

9 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

it seems travel insurance is completely unnecessary, it is cheaper to later ask for donations on GoFundMe pages

I know you are not completely serious. But I wonder how successful the average GoFundMe for such cases is. Do many of them get all the money they need, and maybe more? Or are many or most of those give me money requests ignored?

I remember a relative famous farang musician in Thailand, he made big money and spend a lot. Later he was sick and (I think his brother) set up a GoFundMe page. I thought that was strange, making good money and spending it all, and then asking for donations. 

• Agree 1

They've raised under 8 grand, so it looks like the unfortunate fellow isn't going home any time soon.  His kids are 3 and 9.  I hope to God the oldest one hasn't read this thread.   

The scooter probably only came with one helmet.  My guess is that he gave the helmet to his female companion and chose to take the risk on himself (and his kids, by proxy).  A very bad stroke of luck that will destroy many lives. 

A few hours ago I posted a link to a video of the last scene of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which was rightfully taken down.

While harsh, it's probably the kindest thing to do. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As usual topics like this are filled with unempathetic rubbishy comments (likely mostly from the boomer crowd) from folk who think they have never put a foot wrong and live perfect lives. Good chance family is reading this!

Empathy and hollow words of sympathy don't pay the bills. Everybody makes mistakes and the consequence as to who sweeps up the mess is a matter of fortune. A cruel fate, especially for those who take up the broom, no doubt. There are paths that guide our way, rough hew them how we may.

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Good chance family is reading this!".

, they'll just have to put up with the opinions of complete strangers.

Yes Lou say it like it is and cop this:- E.Scooters are the scourge of pedestrians and riders worldwide. France has banned them?   Only one helmet and mum got it? Tragic that two boys might lose that dad who made the stupid decision for either of the 2 parents to use an E. S.   No sympathy for anyone who knows about many existing worldwide tragedies, then gets on an E. Scooter, anywhere!  and now this tragedy.

Would he have worn a helmet anyway? even with added bike insurance or not?

Irresponsible kids? no, irresponsible parents, but hope he survives, is normal, and feel for the poor kids.

Edited by Jing Joe
edit

29 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

Should have had insurance then the protective shield provided by his contract would have allowed him to walk away without injury. 

But... They had already one helmet,  and two parents chose to ride the E.Scooter!!!         Read the fine print in the story, just like he should have read and obeyed the fine print of the insurance policy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1