Tragic scooter crash in Thailand leaves Queensland dad in coma

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Taking a taxi suddenly seems not such a bad idea.

I pay the extra on my insurance then wear helmet, jeans and shoes as a pillion passenger. I make sure the rider and bike are legal. My Thai friend always wears a decent helmet and clothes despite being relatively poor. It's not that hard or expensive to protect yourself. Motorbike accidents strike young and old alike - but probably, particularly the young and naïve, 

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

As usual topics like this are filled with unempathetic rubbishy comments (likely mostly from the boomer crowd) from folk who think they have never put a foot wrong and live perfect lives. Good chance family is reading this!

er '   I hope someone is reading this as it might change their mind about jumping on a bike in Thailand with no helmet, no insurance, no license ....   what could possibly go wrong   !!

and I think we have all done silly things at times when younger .....  but not to this extent as the risks far outway any reasoning.   

As usual topics like this are filled with unempathetic rubbishy comments (likely mostly from the boomer crowd) from folk who think they have never put a foot wrong and live perfect lives. Good chance family is reading this!

Are you for real?Nothing to do with boomer or not boomer,more about common sense.It's 2024 not to difficult to find information if I  want to travel to a foreign country.There are many websites what are waring about this and that.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I remember Thailand wanted to make sure every tourist has a health insurance.

What happened to that project?

I think everybody who thinks for a minute should make sure they have a valid health insurance before they travel.

And if for whatever reason they don't have an insurance then maybe it's a good idea to be careful.

"catastrophic collision with a concrete barrier" sounds to me like nobody else was involved.

Sad

Yourself mixing up health insurance and accident insurance. Two different things.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Thonburi-tales said:

Go Fund Me encourages people to continue behaving irresponsibly. The two New York guys that started GFM  are multi millionaires.

As do a lot of compensation lawsuits.... anyone for very hot coffee.

• Haha 1

You can start by donating to his 'GoFundMe' fund since you're so sympathetic.

Sure, no one wishes harm to anyone who was just trying to have a bit of fun, but when you take those risks & they are quite big, you may end up paying a price.

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Health insurance would normally cover medical costs as a result of those circumstances, travel insurance would not, they are two completely different types of policy.

https://www.chubbtravelinsurance.co.th/cti/th-en/home

Travel insurance includes the cost of accidents and medical bills while you are travelling beyond your home country. 

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I remember Thailand wanted to make sure every tourist has a health insurance.

Wouldn't do any good anyhow as write up suggests he was not wearing a helmet.

Whether or not he was licenced to ride a bike would come further down the list.

26 minutes ago, CFCol said:

Yourself mixing up health insurance and accident insurance. Two different things.

I wrote health insurance because health insurances pay for hospital treatments.

Sometimes those are travel insurances, sometimes private health insurance which are valid world wide, sometimes health insurance as part of another package.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it is illegal to sell a firearm to some one without a firearms/gun license, then it should be the same for companies and individuals who rent motor vehicles to those without a license.

There ahould be a No License - No Rent policy.

There was a earlier flurry of action against rental companies by police but that has gone quiet.

Maybe time for a civil case .... bikes should be rented to people without valid and proper home and international motorcycle licenses or a valid Thai motorcycle license.

Close it down at the source.

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If he wasn't wearing a helmet as seemingly stated in the article (his partner was) (i.e breaking the law ) his insurance would be invalid anyway, similarly riding drunk and crashing, invalid insurance, unlicensed, invalid insirance .  More insurance wont; solve the problem.  One possible suggestion, you could set up a no fault system similar to NZ and treat people for their injuries regardless of poor decision making.

Commiserations to him and his family though, a terrible time ahead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

They've raised under 8 grand, so it looks like the unfortunate fellow isn't going home any time soon.  His kids are 3 and 9.  I hope to God the oldest one hasn't read this thread.   

The scooter probably only came with one helmet.  My guess is that he gave the helmet to his female companion and chose to take the risk on himself (and his kids, by proxy).  A very bad stroke of luck that will destroy many lives. 

A few hours ago I posted a link to a video of the last scene of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which was rightfully taken down.

While harsh, it's probably the kindest thing to do. 

Up north last year, the rental shops all had multiple helmets from which to select. My Thai friend and I felt a bit stupid bringing them from Bangkok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

amazing none of these parents and relatives volunteer to sell their house for the sons benefit but file a go fund me page ! 

From the link:

"In a poignant plea, a close friend revealed that Simmons’ mother is contemplating the drastic measure of selling her home to alleviate the crushing burden of medical bills." 

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Reading AN is like being trapped in Groundhog Day. Same stories every day - foreigner in motorcycle accident, foreigner falls from balcony, pickup drives itself off the road, motorcyclist killed at 3am, jealous boyfriend/husband murders /girlfriend/wife, teenagers in running street battle at 2am.

EDIT: I forgot this one: Pattaya Songtaew Driver Brutally Attacks Competitor After Argument Over Chinese Customers

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

wow   !     $280,000  .....   just sell the Gold Coast Condo and the Porsche ... 

He live in Tewantin and works as a chef at a bistro.... What porsche and condo should he sell ?

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

From the link:

"In a poignant plea, a close friend revealed that Simmons’ mother is contemplating the drastic measure of selling her home to alleviate the crushing burden of medical bills." 

Selling is a bit dramatic... use it as collateral for a loan.

If Thailand prohibited tourists from renting motorbikes accidents like this one could be prevented.  No sympathy for the victim--he had no business being on a motorcycle, and certainly not without a helmet.  Absolutely correct for the insurance company to deny coverage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think everybody who thinks for a minute should make sure they have a valid health insurance before they travel.

And if for whatever reason they don't have an insurance then maybe it's a good idea to be careful.

"catastrophic collision with a concrete barrier" sounds to me like nobody else was involved.

Sad

At 300 Baht per arrival, the 280000 USD bill of the gentleman would require about 25000 arrivals.