Jailed Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny dead, prison service says

Social Media

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

And Kim Jong Un is still alive. Why? because he has nuclear weapons.

Moral of the story , if you don't to be safe from the US get..........................

Ukraine relinquished it's nukes also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Ukraine relinquished it's nukes also.

True , big mistake IMO, 

"Three decades ago, the newly independent country of Ukraine was briefly the third-largest nuclear power in the world.

Thousands of nuclear arms had been left on Ukrainian soil by Moscow after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. But in the years that followed, Ukraine made the decision to completely denuclearize.

In exchange, the U.S., the U.K. and Russia would guarantee Ukraine's security in a 1994 agreement known as the Budapest Memorandum."

"

It is clear that Ukrainians knew they weren't getting the exactly legally binding, really robust security guarantees they sought.

But they were told at the time that the United States and Western powers — so certainly at least the United States and Great Britain — take their political commitments really seriously.:cheesy:

This is a document signed at the highest level by the heads of state.

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/21/1082124528/ukraine-russia-putin-invasion

PS: I edited  the last quote by adding the rolling on the floor laughing emoji :smile:

"

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

Somber truth:  Completely unrelated to the fact that Putin is terrified of going out like Gaddafi at the hands of his own people.

Somber truth: My comment was in reply to a comment that mentioned Gaddafi.

• Haha 1

Alexei Navalny: Police in Russia crack down on protests as human rights group claims 'at least 100 arrested'

"Police in Russia have cracked down on people who gathered to mark the death of opposition leader Alexei Navalny - with one human rights group claiming at least 100 people have been arrested.

Footage and pictures from Russia's two largest cities - Moscow and St Petersburg - showed officers ripping away placards from protesters and dragging others away from makeshift memorials to Mr Navalny.

Journalists at the site in Moscow - set up at a monument to victims of Soviet repression - were also filmed being detained.

(more)

https://news.sky.com/story/alexei-navalny-police-in-russia-crack-down-on-protests-as-human-rights-group-claims-at-least-100-arrested-13073537

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

Putin was left with an honourable wealthy, luxurious retirement.

Well, aside for his Ukrainian war crimes that would severely limit Putin's foreign travel as a private citizen.

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Putin's Commander in Chief of Propaganda Russia-side Dmitry Peskov is keeping a low profile on this

Peskov is not that Chief ^^^^

He is just press-secretary...
However his story s quite remarkable and he (Peskov) was often a "star" of Navalny's "investigations". Esp. a million dollars watch and honey moon on a yacht for many thousands euros per day.

Edited by stats
off topic trolling comment removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I guess he got what he wanted - becoming a martyr. 

If they try to kill you by poisoning you and you decide to still go back ro Russia then you have to have a death wish. 

He could've lead his fight against Putin from literally anywhere in the world. Germany would've granted him asylum in a heartbeat. 

Also, he knew he would get arrested for "violating his parole" by leaving Russia to get treated for the poisoning in Germany because the responsible bureau issued a statement to that regard after he announced his plans to return to Russia. 

Edited by pacovl46
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, itsari said:

The man went back to Russia from Germany for continuing his parties cause.

He is a Marty for freedom in Russia now.

I am quite sure the man knew what he was doing when returning to Russia.

Dying is smart? Should have joined NATO or something. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, I guess he got what he wanted - becoming a martyr. 

If they try to kill you by poisoning you and you decide to still go back ro Russia then you have to have a death wish. 

He could've lead his fight against Putin from literally anywhere in the world. Germany would've granted him asylum in a heartbeat. 

Also, he knew he would get arrested for "violating his parole" by leaving Russia to get treated for the poisoning in Germany because the responsible bureau issued a statement to that regard after he announced his plans to return to Russia. 

Must have been depressed. Basically suicide.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You don't seem to have a position on Navalny's death

His death is very sad for him and his family.

I wonder why he went back to Russia after being poisoned  and facing near certain incarnation ?

With Prison Certain and Death Likely, Why Did Navalny Return?

An activist who thrived on agitation, he feared irrelevancy in exile. Winning new respect as he continued to lambast the Kremlin from behind bars cost him his life.

There was one question that Russians repeatedly asked the opposition leader Aleksei A. Navalny, who died in a remote Arctic penal colony on Friday, and he confessed that he found it a little annoying.

Why, after surviving a fatal poisoning attempt widely blamed on the Kremlin, had he returned to Russia from his extended convalescence abroad to face certain imprisonment and possible death? Even his prison guards, turning off their recording devices, asked him why he had come back, he said.

“I don’t want to give up either my country or my beliefs,” Mr. Navalny wrote in a Jan. 17 Facebook post to mark the third anniversary of his return and arrest in 2021. “I cannot betray either the first or the second. If your beliefs are worth something, you must be willing to stand up for them. And if necessary, make some sacrifices.”

That was the direct answer, but for many Russians, both those who knew him and those who did not, the issue was more complex. Some of them considered it almost a classical Greek tragedy: The hero, knowing that he is doomed, returns home anyway because, well, if he didn’t, he would not be the hero.

(more)

• Love It 1

On 2/16/2024 at 2:48 PM, Tug said:

He was a Russian patriot who wanted to bring Russia out of the dark into the free world he was a brave man who was willing to die for his principles a respectable man in my book rip sir my condolences to your loved ones and the Russian nation 

He was a convicted crook who had a long-standing history of corruption and embezzlement with his brother Oleg. 

Russian investigators accuse Alexei and Oleg Navalny of defrauding a Russian subsidiary of the French cosmetics company Yves Rocher out of about 26m roubles (about $811,000; £505,000). 

[...]

In a further charge, the Navalny brothers are charged with laundering 21m roubles (about $656,000, £408,000) in funds.

[...]

In that case, he was found guilty of heading a group that embezzled timber worth 16m roubles from the Kirovles state timber company, while working as an adviser to the governor of the Kirov region, Nikita Belykh.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-24731503

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2