Thailand’s fiery plight: 400+ hotspots spark concern

snoop1130

1-121.jpg

Thailand is currently grappling with more than 400 hotspots, with the highest concentration in the provinces of Chiang Mai, Lampang, and Mae Hong Son, each reporting over 40 incidents. In comparison, neighbouring countries are also facing significant challenges, with Myanmar recording 3,065 hotspots, Cambodia 1,341, Laos 704, and Vietnam 414 as of February 18.

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA), operating under the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, has been meticulously tracking these hotspots across Thailand.

On February 18, GISTDA reported that the majority of the 423 hotspots detected within Thailand were located in conservation forests (161 hotspots), national reserved forests (138 hotspots), agricultural areas (49 hotspots), Sor Por Kor lands—land reform areas designated for agriculture (46 hotspots)—with the remaining 25 found in communities and other areas, and four along highways.

Chiang Mai is currently the most affected province, with 46 hotspots, followed closely by Lampang and Mae Hong Son, each with 43 identified hotspots. These figures indicate a stark increase in hotspots, potentially exacerbating air quality issues and heightening the risk of wildfires, which can have devastating consequences for ecosystems, agriculture, and human health.

GISTDA continues to monitor the situation closely, providing updates to ensure that all relevant agencies have the information necessary to manage and address the ongoing situation effectively. For specific area details and further updates, the public and concerned authorities can visit GISTDA’s dedicated fire information portal at https://fire.gistda.or.th. Additionally, the public is advised to stay informed on the PM2.5 situation through the ‘Check Dust’ application.

In related news, the Administrative Court in Chiang Mai ordered Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin and the National Environment Board to develop an emergency plan within 90 days to combat persistent PM2.5 pollution. This landmark decision follows years of inaction, compelling the government to address the health crisis.

Additionally, in Bangkok, civic groups collaborated with the BMA to propose a work-from-home plan for 50,000 workers in response to escalating PM2.5 levels. Read more about PM2.5 emergency plan in Chiang Mai.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-02-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thavisin and the National Environment Board to develop an emergency plan within 90 days to combat

IMG_0427.gif

Edited by Tarteso
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand is currently grappling with more than 400 hotspots,

Thailand is talking while Thailand burns.....they are not grappling with anything. They are calling meetings in Bangkok, like Anutin's meeting with governors to brainstorm solutions, there is absolutely no grappling going on just cubic meters of hot air from politiicians' mouths. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Are you Thai ? Deflection onto neighbouring countries has been their approach for a while now...

Koh Chang is 45km from us, we're on the Chanthaburi coast.

Farmers don't burn here - it's not sugar or rice country, instead it's fruit orchards, rubber, and coastal fish/prawn farms. 

Three weeks ago there was a bushfire east of Chan city that was controlled by local firefighters and council workers within three days, whether accidental or deliberate I don't know but it wasn't farmland, rather tall grasses and scraggly bushed in a dry swamp area 

The smoke we get isn't locally made, mostly originates from forest/ bush fires in the Cambodian border mountain ranges to the east. Last week was the worst we've encountered here (since 2011) due to wind from east and northeast. 

Light wind change and it's clear again, my guideline is being able to see the hills of Namtok Phliu National Park clearly.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

The smoke from Cambodia is blanketing Koh Chang. The air was terrible due to the wind direction last week.

Well ''SMOKE'' wasn't/is "blanketing" at all, it was overcast for a couple of days on the west side, that was all, and a few days ago we had a 20m downpour of rain.

1 hour ago, realfunster said:

Are you Thai ? Deflection onto neighbouring countries has been their approach for a while now...

I've seen people sharing hotspot maps over previous weeks laying blame onto Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar. It is not inaccurate to imply they are making a contribution to this pollution mess but it's purely a timing difference as we waited for the Thais to start burning in earnest...and now they have.

Last weekend, I drove up to the Khao Yai area :

1) Numerous verges around the highways had been burnt off. I assume this is actually done by the Highways Department, part of the government...great example.

2) There were regular sightings of field burnings all along the road journey, including some that were very near highways creating a driving hazard.

3) Once arrived at my destination and sitting down to enjoy the views and rural scenery, these were punctuated with regular fires going off in the surrounding areas.

There is a well known phrase which applies in this case to Thailand before admonishing neighbours : "get your own house in order".

Jeez. Just making a simple comment. No reason for the attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well ''SMOKE'' wasn't/is "blanketing" at all, it was overcast for a couple of days on the west side, that was all, and a few days ago we had a 20m downpour of rain.

I was just there. Could barely see the inland mountains. Our eyes were even burning. Glad you got some rain!

Quite nice right now in jomtien

Edited by Roo Island

11 minutes ago, john smith said:

The URL of a website ( satellite ) showing hotspots would be appreciated .  A site in English that one can navigate in preference to one in Thai.

Not trying to be rude. But in a taxi. Just Google fire map.

59 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Blooming heck... 

20 metres of rain is quite a downpour.  Did you see Noah preparing his boat?  It could be a sign? 

Just joking, obviously a 20 minute downpour. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roo Island said:

I was just there. Could barely see the mainl

Absolute Twaddle I live here and have done for many years, that is broken cloud not smoke or smog.

IMG_20240220_100101.thumb.jpg.21ca5b51fe5393df1b8255ec1a08344b.jpg

Photo from my place Today.

IMG_20240220_095226.thumb.jpg.8f762fd0d0686adbf2b555999f0cbb92.jpg

45 minutes ago, john smith said:

The URL of a website ( satellite ) showing hotspots would be appreciated .  A site in English that one can navigate in preference to one in Thai.

try this:- https://www.earthdata.nasa.gov/learn/find-data/near-real-time/firms/active-fire-data

Also Windy and Ventusky apps, but fires are a premium (i.e. paid for) feature.

Edited by Grusa
added app info.

13 minutes ago, Roo Island said:

From a week ago. Look at all the fires in Cambodia. Use an app called Windy and you can see the pm2.5 and how it was being blown to KC.

received_1798992600544491.jpeg

Look how it was being blown to KC??. Yeh none at all. 

received_1798992600544491.thumb.jpeg.7c81170d3948a03bc29272426d033f7c.jpeg.3eb4a90fdebc510bbfa5dfa3bb511907.jpeg

Edited by brianthainess

17 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Blooming heck... 

20 metres of rain is quite a downpour.  Did you see Noah preparing his boat?  It could be a sign? 

Just joking, obviously a 20 minute downpour. 

I do have a boat in my garden just incase :giggle: the cat sleeps in it anyway, she ain't taking any chances, but I'm 24 meters above sea level.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Absolute Twaddle I live here and have done for many years, that is broken cloud not smoke or smog.

IMG_20240220_100101.thumb.jpg.21ca5b51fe5393df1b8255ec1a08344b.jpg

Photo from my place Today.

IMG_20240220_095226.thumb.jpg.8f762fd0d0686adbf2b555999f0cbb92.jpg

I was there also. Facts don't lie. Look at the map. Jeez.

Just now, Roo Island said:

I was there also. Facts don't lie. Look at the map. Jeez.

No You look at the map, the mountain range between Thailand and Cambodia only a small amount drifting over that and NONE on KC. or Koh Mac

received_1798992600544491.thumb.jpeg.7c81170d3948a03bc29272426d033f7c.jpeg.ebc0f53f02d545edeba06ed9dc685a79.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Nothing?  They have asked people to reduce incense burning havnt they?

Yea a great help that'll be .Next No more BBQ and No Cooking on Charcoal fires and Smoking Fish and Sausages and Coconuts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muhendis said:

The police don't see it as their job.

Until someone tells them to get out there and start arresting landowners whose land is on fire, nothing will happen.

In national parks the parks department, or whatever it is called, should be made to take responsibility.

The police could actually make post burning arrests too. Just drive around the countryside and wherever they see evidence of burning, it is not hard to see, inquire as to the land ownership and issue a warrant against the owner. Do that for a couple of years and they'll soon stop burning. Also, close down, or at least heavily fine, all sugar mills that accept burnt cane. If they stop accepting burnt cane, the farmers will stop burning. However, local authorities need to help out with supplying cane harvesters, as locals can't afford such machinery. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1