Thai Goods: Anutin rejects pity-based purchases by foreigners

webfact

On 2/22/2024 at 6:40 AM, webfact said:

He shared his experience of purchasing a durable bag from Sakon Nakhon for only 65 baht ($2), ......

Highlighting the bag's quality, made from leftover fabric,

I can imagine the promotional slogans....

"Thailand, hub of durable bags made from leftover fabric"

On 2/22/2024 at 7:03 AM, spidermike007 said:

Many nations have incredible craft work, such as Mexico, Indonesia (especially Bali) and India. World class crafts. World famous crafts. Thailand has a very limited craft industry, and the quality is not high, nor are Thai crafts recognized around the world, with the exception of some of it's silk. 

More nonsense from one of the most silly men in the country, and one who has no business pretending to be a leader. 

Souvenirs in tourist areas are mainly low quality tat imported from China or Burma.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/22/2024 at 7:03 AM, spidermike007 said:

Many nations have incredible craft work, such as Mexico, Indonesia (especially Bali) and India.

I'm curious what you think is made well in India. I think charas is the only thing and technically those people are not Indian per-se.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Souvenirs in tourist areas are mainly low quality tat imported from China or Burma.

Even in non tourist areas, everywhere you go in Bali, India, other parts of Indonesia, or Mexico you find very high quality handmade silver jewelry, tapestries, paintings, drawings, wooden crafts, paper maiche, of exceptional quality. The list goes on. Very, very little of that is found in Thailand, the handicrafts are of exceptionally low quality. 

It is quite possible it has something to do with the educational system and the fact that this system just does not encourage creativity. Of course it could be a multitude of other cultural factors too, but the bottom line is that most of us know that Thai handicrafts are pretty marginal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

I'm curious what you think is made well in India. I think charas is the only thing and technically those people are not Indian per-se.

I've spent a lot of time in India, I lived in worked there for a couple of years, and been all over the country. The handicrafts are astonishing, the silver jewelry, the jewelry done with semi-precious stones, the paintings, the hand woven carpets, the weaving, the woolen shawls, the list goes on. I could literally recite 75 different areas where the handicrafts are world class. Perhaps you haven't traveled enough when you were there. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Even in non tourist areas, everywhere you go in Bali, India, other parts of Indonesia, or Mexico you find very high quality handmade silver jewelry, tapestries, paintings, drawings, wooden crafts, paper maiche, of exceptional quality. The list goes on. Very, very little of that is found in Thailand, the handicrafts are of exceptionally low quality. 

It is quite possible it has something to do with the educational system and the fact that this system just does not encourage creativity. Of course it could be a multitude of other cultural factors too, but the bottom line is that most of us know that Thai handicrafts are pretty marginal. 

But they make some of the best 20 Baht wooden backscratchers and body massagers you can find. 😂

Actually, ceramics and bamboo furniture from the north are quite decent. And in the North there are also artisans making some high quality ornamental stuff made from pewter and other high quality materials.

To find the really good stuff in Thailand requires visiting trade shows though and you aren't going to find much of it in tourist markets. It's here, but it's not in the mainstream and it's usually pretty high priced if the quality is high. Occasionally you can find some decent stuff in Hang Dong, but it's hit or miss. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I've spent a lot of time in India, I lived in worked there for a couple of years, and been all over the country. The handicrafts are astonishing, the silver jewelry, the jewelry done with semi-precious stones, the paintings, the hand woven carpets, the weaving, the woolen shawls, the list goes on. I could literally recite 75 different areas where the handicrafts are world class. Perhaps you haven't traveled enough when you were there. 

I've spent a cumulative total of about four years on the subcontinent.

Gems polishing... I'll give you that point. Perhaps some local types of textiles.

I'd always felt sorry for the Indians having to buy only from their manufacturing base. The stuff is poorly engineered and practically arrives broken. I'd always wondered why India didn't just simply get a fan or whatever from China and disassemble it and copy it.

• Haha 1

I can sought of see his point A 2$ bag is hardly going to interest the super rich, except, as he said for a pity or sympathy purchase, that people will take home, and, after they have finished boring their friends about  seeing the real Thailand , they stash under the kitchen sink never to be touched again until they bin it 6 months later

Where as if they stuck it in a chintzy shop in the airport , slapped a louis vuitton type badge on it , and a $3000 price tag  idiots with more money than sense would be queuing up to buy it, heralding it as their latest fashion discovery, and taking it every  day  to the  overpriced places that idiots with more money than sense frequent.

All he has to do is get someone like Posh spice or one of the Kardashians to be seen with one and the job is as good as sorted, theoretically at least

What they will probably do is ban foreigners from buying OTOP products or introduce a fully endorsed double pricing protocol which will have the same effect as a ban

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Jade Carvings, Marble inlays, (the Taj Mahal). blankets........

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Jade Carvings, Marble inlays, (the Taj Mahal). blankets........

These quilts were mind boggling in their intricacy. The silver and gold jewelry is astonishing. The list goes on and on. 

IMG-20240225-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240225-WA0002.jpg

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

These quilts were mind boggling in their intricacy. The silver and gold jewelry is astonishing. The list goes on and on. 

IMG-20240225-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20240225-WA0002.jpg

Morocco too Blankets, Carved bone, silverwork, and as it's Anutin their hash too. :stoner: