American expat escapes Thai jail time for scathing hotel review

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, RobU said:

This story is nearly one year old and has already been discussed in this forum. The Thaiger is dredging up old news and publishing it as new. The man in question also had an arrest warrant in place in his home county USA for firing a weapon at a bar he had been ejected from for unruly behaviour

Not according to @Bangkok Barry he says its a new story with a different hotel?

Sat on the fence me!🤣

I was very fortunate many years ago to get some good advice from a Brit who worked in the hotel industry here. She warned me never to leave bad reviews on travel sites or social media here as the consequences could be grim. It was good advice as I wasn't aware of the "saving face" culture here at the time because I hadn't been here very long. However, she did explain what she knew to be the best way forward to get it off your chest. She told me to email the General Manager of the hotel chain directly with both good and bad observations and I might be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I did this and had a response the same day with profuse apologies for the experience I was complaining about and also thanking me for the good observations I commented on. To top it all off, he offered me and "her indoors" a 5 day, 4 night freebie at one of the chains hotels of my choice! I've been here 12 years now and had three freebies over that time by following her sage advice. As a footnote, I know this doesn't give you the gratification of making your complaints known to the wider public but it doesn't half help! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Not according to @Bangkok Barry he says its a new story with a different hotel?

Sat on the fence me!🤣

Having read other comments I'm now not sure so I've deleted my two posts. I'm also on the fence. But I'm 60/40 it's new, as the previous guy was held in a cell as far as I remember. Would he really be dumb enough to continue a vendetta a year or more later? Mind you, he comes from the Land Of Trump so...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

they can't admit to anything and take it on the chin, this is outrageous 

if I ran a business I would welcome negative feedback so that I knew were to improve 

Ah. But you are not a Thai, where face is everything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

if I ran a business I would welcome negative feedback so that I knew were to improve 

Totally agree with you, but I am assuming you are not Thai?🙄

Criticism should be welcomed, good or bad?

• Like 1

More proof that Thailand is ostensibly a democracy where free speech and the candid stating of opinions is trampled upon . 

The only upside of this maladroit article is that it shows up government censorship and repression. Welcome to the land of medieval thinking .

Travel suggestions ; never file negative comments till ur OUT of the country

Plus , this is an old story ( i think last year)

Edited by zzzzz
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Thonburi-tales said:

I would have thought every American male has a rap sheet for gun offences and unruly behaviour. Goes without saying in Texas doesnt it.

6000b for a night in a provincial hotel???  jesus

I pay that per month for a two storey home just over the river from Chinatown.

Thailand is a 3rd rate tourist destination that charges 5 star prices. I havent been down to Pattaya or Phuket in over 20years.

Overated dumps full of old farang and dirty cops.

Some people might say that you can't tar all Americans with the same brush. Yes you can tar all Americans with the same brush. They elect a government that supports murderous rampages against children in schools and does nothing to stop it, lots of sympathetic words but no action.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

This episode is ridiculous.  All the more reason to not visit Thailand because of Thai attitudes towards foreigners and toxic air pollution almost everywhere, most of the year and I mean toxic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Although, as some have pointed out, this is a "old" story, it is worth highlighting again.

Many people in Thailand seem to have very very fragile egos - just look at the number of domestic killings over trivial issues.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, smedly said:

Thai's don't have a low IQ rating of only 80+ for nothing.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

you can't tell the truth here ...  If your hotel is dirty,  or the service isn't good ... you can't say anything. ...

if you go to a restaurant and the meal was well below what should have been provided, or the table waiter is rude or the service is non-existent ....  you can't say anything. 

you must lie .... 😂

It's like a medieval society where there were only servants and masters. Any reference to Thailand is purely coincidental.😁

• Agree 1