Plastic Bathtub Cracked

Neeranam

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Bathtub replacement time. There's a really nice, plastic, floor-standing, tub-style one that's popping up frequently in my lazada app.

...and lose some weight.

It's a rental house, guess I can ask the landlord for a new tub. 

This video is about a cracked fiberglass tub, but the 1st half of the video looks like it could work on a plastic tub then seal using plastic weld.

Edited by bbko
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, impulse said:

+1.  And if the DIY job isn't flawless and invisible, he's on the hook for a replacement tub when he leaves, anyway.  May as well get the job done now and get some enjoyment out of the money spent.

If he does decide to go the DIY route, the first thing I'd do is put some tape on the cracks shown in the photo then fill the tub to make sure that's where the leak is.  It may be the hose under the tub, or the caulk lines leaking when the shower's on, or the caulk under the drain fitting. 

If it is leaking from those tiny cracks, I'd try 2 part clear epoxy.  (if you can find white epoxy in Thailand, probably even better).  Fill the cracks and then remove the excess epoxy before it sets, with alcohol.  I've found that ethanol or methanol works best, but rubbing alcohol will work in a pinch.  You may have to apply a few times to completely fill the cracks.  And of course, make sure the surface is dry- even pouring some alcohol into the cracks to drive out any water.  Then let the alcohol dry.

thanks

If the landlord does not want to fix it. I would clean it with acetone and Scotchbrite pad and dab some 5-minute epoxy on it. 

And quit pushing down on it so hard.