Thailand PM unveils plan to become global cargo distribution hub

webfact

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

The bureau has hired 200 extra immigration officers, who are set to start working today, at Division 2 situated at Suvarnabhumi airport, with an additional 400 officers joining later

That would be great if they all hustled and really tried to make things go smoothly but from my experience, it doesn't matter how many extra officers you add if they're not trained to not to chat amongst their selves and not give a hoot about the passengers. Airport officials remind me of DMV employees that don't care how many people they serve. There is no incentive for them to hustle, as long as they put in their 8 hours they'll get paid...

• Like 1

How about also addressing the traffic snarl-up on Hwy7/Chonburi Motorway at peak hours when all the traffic from the airport is trying to join/merge?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another HUB - then another and another  and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another

• Haha 2

Lots of plans - or at least proclamations - for lots of hubs. But do any of them ever become real out there in the real world? Is there anywhere an actual hub of which Thailand is it?

Seems to me the hubbery is rubbery.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin envisions the country as a regional aviation centre and one of the world’s top five cargo distribution hubs

Rose glasses.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

Another day, another hub

You know that "hub" is not a Thai word , it is a translation and a choice to et the farangs howling .

I have not read the release, in Thai but I bet they said they want to become a global cargo transportation center,, and why should not want to? in fact is there a country in the world with the nessacery infrastructure that does not?

58 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Pipe dream until they sort out corruption in the customs department. Personal experience 20 x packing boxes (the company supplied the boxes and tape) from my house in Scotland to bkk via Singapore and it cost more to get them from customs at bkk to a family ome in bkk. 16km. I was given no choice, was not allowed to collect myself and forced to use their preferred transporter.

Perhaps.

but that's not what I am talking about. I am talking about Thailand announcing that it will try to become  a center of a particular endeavour, then the farang press always  translate it as "Hub"

and the farang knee-jerk  reaction is to dismissed and make  "Hub" jokes about it. 

I am sure the word "Hub" was not uttered once in the official Thai announcement. Why? because it is not a Thai word, it is an English word.

It is a word that we use to dismiss. 

• Like 1

Here we go! Thailand, I love you dearly, but for the sake of your reputation and mental health, I do wish you would drop this OTT self-absorbed centre of the universe hub twaddle. It gets old. 

5 hours ago, grain said:

"Lure" and "Hub" they just love using those 2 words 😆 

These two words are only used because the English proficiency is so poor they are unable to spell either " Attract " or " Centre "

7 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Another HUB - then another and another  and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another

i would report this comment as trolling but facts are facts. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

which then begs the question. Why you two think alike :tongue:

As my sainted mother said, "if you can't say something nice say nothing at all" 🙂

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Furthermore, to manage rush-hour queues effectively at the nation’s primary air gateway, Thailand’s Immigration Bureau (IB) is expanding its workforce. The bureau has hired 200 extra immigration officers, who are set to start working today, at Division 2 situated at Suvarnabhumi airport, with an additional 400 officers joining later, as per Kerati.

He also unveiled plans to introduce 20 automatic passport-check channels, furnished with advanced technology, at both departure and arrivals halls from June 15. The remaining 60 channels are due to be installed by July 15. Kerati suggested the potential for a quicker pre-departure security check process if the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) approves AoT’s proposal to abolish time-consuming protocols such as mandatory shoe removal for passengers.

20 automatic channels won't help if they are for Thais only.

They need to copy Malaysia's example and let foreigners use the automated gates when entering and exiting. Malaysia has implemented this successfully since mid-January. Now there's no queuing at all on arrival or exit providing you complete the immigration app prior to arriving. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

You know that "hub" is not a Thai word , it is a translation and a choice to et the farangs howling .

Yes, this. They've seen our reactions to the continual word usage and are now just taking the pish. 

Tip Of The Cap GIFs | Tenor

Edited by fondue zoo