Why people insult others so easily and so often?

47 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Some here seem to belong to the bottom of the society where they come from.

Well we can't all come from the higher echelons and its not a crime.  In making a statement like that its pretty clear that you are excluding yourself from the subject matter and consider yourself "better" than them.  Does that make your views more valid ?  

34 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Why people insult others so easily and so often? 

Small mind ,weak personality, thinking they are better than anyone.

Next question, why do some on here take offence so easily, we are, after all, talking about grown men here, and not teenage girls 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Next question, why do some on here take offence so easily, we are, after all, talking about grown men here, and not teenage girls 

All the same thin skinned and can't take criticism.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/1/2024 at 5:11 PM, mfd101 said:

Yes, just within the assorted Anglophones there are considerable differences of 'jokeability'. Irony for example is clearly quite alien to many Usofans but quite basic to British & Aussie humour ...

"You don't understand the humour" said every unfunny person ever.  

On 3/1/2024 at 3:13 AM, ravip said:

I guess, this is because each human thinks he is superior to the other?

I was going to start a thread on "status", but your thread is closely related.

The older I get, the more I realize that human beings are obsessed with status over others more than anything else.

They will try to achieve status in the traditional ways, ie good job, nice car, but those ways are not always accessible to everyone.

So then the other way to achieve status over another human being is essentially by subtly degrading them.

Which is why I will continue not to have too many friends and mostly keep to myself.

I'm sick of status games and people constantly trying to one-up each other. 

Since I was quoted in the initial post I feel I have to put my pennyworth in:

1. Over the years "self" has become more important than "other".

2. This has led (especially westerners) to people becoming more "thin skinned" - anything that threatens their "self image" or "values" and hence their self esteem has to be forcefully rebuffed and given the anonymity of the internet, insults and threats are an easy solution for these insecure people.

Be secure in your own values and don't feel threatened if others don't share them - as the Roman Writer Terence said - Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.

So many men, so many opinions: to each his own way.

Polarisation of our society will lead us nowhere except conflict. Whatever happened to debate?

• Love It 1

On 3/1/2024 at 3:31 PM, Hellfire said:

It is an integral part of the MAGA settings.

And those WOKE people in the universities and Climate changers do not think they are smarter.

Saying MANA is a problem is like saying people smoking is the main cause of climate change.

Product of an environment that has allowed and therefore deemed this behavior acceptable.  The US is pretty screwed up.  One minute they talk about inclusion than the first chances they get they are probing for ways to categorize and separate you from the masses.  The US does not want to life in peace and harmony.  

Additionally there is the need to feel superior and important.  They elevate their social status by any means possible to feel accepted and superior.

Usually deflecting to hide many inadequacies.

Bad parenting?

I would be ashamed of myself to be deliberately rude or insulting for no reason.

And my kids have been brought up the same way.  To have good manners.

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon there are a few of the AN members that wake up every morning to just antagonize and comment with hostility

I can't remember the last time I posted on AN forum but most days I read some of the many interesting AN new postings.

I haven't got much time so I generally just glance through the first page or so then leave the page open and return later if interested, opening a new page for reading a new posting etc.

Most times after glancing over the very first page I read, hate, hostile, antagonizing comments between members, it's really weird and sad, it happens so often.

I used to react, these seasoned antagonizers, they know how to intentionally make you angry. 

I've been disciplined in the past, sadly receiving a point that never expires, what ever that means, anyway I know better now, I try not to reply and recently learnt how to totally block these nasty members. 

I'm sure the mods see this poor behavior, it seems strange that these boat rockers are not banned from AN forums. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I can't remember the last time I posted on AN forum but most days I read some of the many interesting AN new postings.

Your having a laugh right !

Your posting everyday! . "Can't remember the last time I posted".......you'd have to be in the top ten of posters my friend !

Edited by georgegeorgia

21 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your having a laugh right !

Your posting everyday! . "Can't remember the last time I posted".......you'd have to be in the top ten of posters my friend !

I'm commenting most days, NOT posting, there is a difference. 

I reckon I post a topic/article once a year. 

If you are going to be sarcastic and mock me, please get your facts right. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

On 3/1/2024 at 12:26 AM, retarius said:

Japanese think they are superior to every other race or ethnic culture.

I don't know where you get that from. Japanese are some of the most humble and conscientious people in the world....

16 hours ago, Hummin said:

When you walk in to a room asked for blue colour items, and then when you walk out for then be asked how many red items did you see? 

The same when reading forums, you only focus on leftish insults, and realky do not notice insults from your biased viewed fellow's 

nah, i know exactly what i read

On 3/2/2024 at 10:25 PM, save the frogs said:

I was going to start a thread on "status", but your thread is closely related.

The older I get, the more I realize that human beings are obsessed with status over others more than anything else.

They will try to achieve status in the traditional ways, ie good job, nice car, but those ways are not always accessible to everyone.

So then the other way to achieve status over another human being is essentially by subtly degrading them.

Which is why I will continue not to have too many friends and mostly keep to myself.

I'm sick of status games and people constantly trying to one-up each other. 

I'm friendly to all people until they prove that they aren't worth the effort. Cars depreciate badly and status is so fake.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Dolf said:

I'm friendly to all people until they prove that they aren't worth the effort. Cars depreciate badly and status is so fake.

status is not "fake" in that human beings will always be obsessed with it in some form or other.

and it doesnt end in retirement as everyone is comparing themselves, who has the nicer pickup, who has more savings in retirement.

or others may try to one-up you with their higher IQ.

gets exhausting being around people. 

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

status is not "fake" in that human beings will always be obsessed with it in some form or other.

and it doesnt end in retirement as everyone is comparing themselves, who has the nicer pickup, who has more savings in retirement.

or others may try to one-up you with their higher IQ.

gets exhausting being around people. 

Well these people are fake. Easy to avoid westerners though.

On 3/1/2024 at 5:45 AM, Andre0720 said:

Because of either polarization of views such as:

Just about 50% of people is left wing, and just about the remainder 50% is right wing.

One hell of a disagreement in North America for a start.

The other 50% then, all, all,well they are all wrong, and st.....

Oh well

And then there is beliefs. Darn, so many people are so wrong on the topic.

Actually just about all of them.

Considering that:

-There are 2.2 billion of Christians

-There is 1.5 billion of Muslims

-There is 488 million de Buddhists

-There is one billion of believers in Hinduism -

-there are 28 million believers in Sikhism

-there are 13 million believers in Judaism

-there are 104 million believers in Shinto -

-There are 4 million believers in Jainism

-and then lesser known religions 

-without forgetting the 189 members of the Flat Earth Society.

So much in there to start telling someone, in no uncertain terms, that he is wrong, and st....

Don't forget, there are those that are believers in having another beer!  

Edited by radiochaser

On 3/3/2024 at 4:24 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm commenting most days, NOT posting, there is a difference. 

I reckon I post a topic/article once a year. 

If you are going to be sarcastic and mock me, please get your facts right. 

Do you mean by posting that you are commencing a thread?

IMO most of us would not make the distinction between a comment on a thread, and a post.

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do you mean by posting that you are commencing a thread?

IMO most of us would not make the distinction between a comment on a thread, and a post.

Yes, I rarely post a topic (commencing a thread as you put it), I do regularly comment.

IMG_20240305_160610.thumb.jpg.d06389e665250707c121da2a193d795c.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST