Foreign man caught on CCTV stealing Thai flag in Phuket

snoop1130

16 hours ago, Dolf said:

Must be 100 foreign idiots daily in Phuket doing stupid stuff.

As long as Thai immigration issues a visa to such rabble, Thailand has to live with it!

6 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Thats hilarious, who invents this stupidity, what happens if the lights go out one  night wonder if theres an emergency number to call?

SO CRAZY -- having standards for displaying one's national symbol!  What "stupidity"!  >>eyeroll<<

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where does it say the authorities have taken action? They've been urged to by outraged citizens. Good luck with that. They aren't exactly known for taking action over anything.

I have no idea, let me know when you find out..........😉

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai netizens expressed their anger in the comment section.

“Thieving behaviour

I can give these Thai netizens a few Thai names who are good at " Thieving behaviour ' 

oh the irony of these people   !!      unbelievable .....

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Hosting the national flag of any nation comes with responsibilities.  It's not a decoration on or for a building, it is the proud symbol of a nation. The flag should be taken down at sunset and raised to top mast at sunrise. It can be at half or lower mast for extraordinary national events like mourning the death of a Minister, etc..

Watch a Police station, military base, or military ship and see the flag timing. It's disrespectful to leave the flag up overnight!

It seems like The Jootee Tin Dredging Company needs to show more respect for Thailand's flag by taking care of it seriously, properly and with honour and respect.

Maybe the foreigner was showing more respect than the company?

Basically it's theft and obviously something that Thais take very seriously, if it's their flag of course. Any other nation's flag, I'm thinking of the UK and US mainly, then make mud flaps out of it or wrap it round your bum, who cares. I'm British and I don't care if people paint it on trucks or make shorts using the image or even a doormat, it's nice to see it, but at least don't use double standards.

If you fly it upside down of course then that's punishable by death. 😄

Edited by kimamey
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, sungod said:

Bad, foreigners (and some locals actually) who support Hamas climb over our monuments and pull down our flag everything weekend now with the full blessing of the London Mayor, Sadiq Khan. 

You may be right but I haven't seen any evidence of Sadiq Khan giving his blessing. If you have then I'd be happy to see it.

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Watch a Police station, military base, or military ship and see the flag timing. It's disrespectful to leave the flag up overnight!

It seems like The Jootee Tin Dredging Company needs to show more respect for Thailand's flag by taking care of it seriously, properly and with honour and respect.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The company told Phuket News that the foreign man’s act was unacceptable because Thai people consider the Thai flag to be very valuable and highly respected

Yes ,so Valuable and Respected .I have seen that, Some of the So called Flags couldn't be Recognised There  were blown to Shreds and left out in the weather.

5 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not to mention that, oftentimes, I see torn and colour-faded Thai flags. Where is the pride in that?

Yes I've seen that as well. I think it's like a lot of national pride, both here and elsewhere, where it's important if you can use it against someone. 

Many times I've seen a 1 or 2 baht coin on the floor with Thais seeing it but just walking past. I pick it up as it has the king on it and could be trodden on. Plus if I collect enough I can buy myself something 😃

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I was an enlisted sailor on the USS ENTERPRISE (CVN 65). Before pulling in to any foreign port, we were gathered and the fear of gawd was impressed upon us. We were reminded we were ambassadors of the US and any aberrant behavior would result in double jeopardy. The host country would enforce their punishment then the Navy would enforce THEIR punishment on top.

How would YOU feel if folks came to your home country and behaved like this?

What is worse, pulling down a flag, or making big cities in the UK unsafe to walk the streets at night, I have experienced this personally having to run for safety because of getting chased by Eastern Europeans?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Hosting the national flag of any nation comes with responsibilities.  It's not a decoration on or for a building, it is the proud symbol of a nation. The flag should be taken down at sunset and raised to top mast at sunrise. It can be at half or lower mast for extraordinary national events like mourning the death of a Minister, etc..

My Uncle (former US Airforce) use to have a flag flying on his property and everyday he would get up early and raise the flag and at night lower the flag and fold it properly and put it to bed.

I am not for any special protections from people that want to use a flag to protest (though I don't understand it personally) -- in my home country, but each country has their own priorities... That said, it is absolutely moronic to visit another country and basically treat their national symbols disrespectful.  At least he was not so stupid as to steal the other flag -- that would likely have landed him a very long stay in 'the Hilton'.  Just another quality visitor to this country showing the lack of class and respect for the locals.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

What is worse, pulling down a flag, or making big cities in the UK unsafe to walk the streets at night, I have experienced this personally having to run for safety because of getting chased by Eastern Europeans?

Wow, funny... I have never been chased by 'Eastern Europeans'.... hmmm... 

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Wow, funny... I have never been chased by 'Eastern Europeans'.... hmmm... 

Which city is that. i was back in Glasgow for a few weeks a few years ago, was walking up Victoria Road when 4 of them were walking towards me, they started shouting and 2 of them walked fast towards me shouting at me. I ran very fast away from them.

24 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

They're certainly not racists generally. Do you resent them because they've earned their VISA exemption by not committing crimes? Or are you just plain jealous of anyone that has what you don't? Like moral fiber. I think you and people like you should be denied entry.

You've just wasted 20 lines of BS mate. I am here on a LTR visa..

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Should the flag be up at night

The flag should be raised no earlier than first light and should be lowered no later than dusk.
The flag may only be flown at night when illuminated. 

23 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

The anti Farang campaign is gathering pace. Visa exemption for the well behaved Indians and Chinese.

Stop crying old man 😂 there is no campaign against farangs but there is and should be a campaign against stupid and violent farangs. 

Why do you feel so threatened about Chinese and Indians? Because you are on a minimal pension and they come with more spending power? 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ujayujay said:

As long as Thai immigration issues a visa to such rabble, Thailand has to live with it!

What do you suggest immigration to do at the airport? Psychiatric screening to all tourists? 😂 Absolute nonsense mate. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

what a bad faring. must get 10 years Bangkok Hilton and than hang.

Only thai can steal, fight and kill...

Oh, poor you. Is life that terrible in Thailand? Maybe you should get the next flight home where it's the white people to mistreat hard-working immigrants instead... 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tomsi said:

Stop crying old man 😂 there is no campaign against farangs but there is and should be a campaign against stupid and violent farangs. 

Why do you feel so threatened about Chinese and Indians? Because you are on a minimal pension and they come with more spending power? 

I think you are over doing it, and I don't think anyone is impressed.

Are you using a back-up username, by any chance...?.............😉.............🤭

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1