British and Norwegian nationals arrested for illegal employment

webfact

Just now, dinsdale said:

Convicted in a Thai court with no forensic evidence. Is this what you mean? As for Boss if a person that's not rich kills a copper do you think the outcome would be the same? Everyone who knows Thailand and every Thai person is well aware that there is most definetly a two tier "justice system".

So this so called person whom did the murdering that has the two lads incarcerated, where is your evidence ?

In regards to K'Boss, yes I would expect the same charges to be laid... rich or poor... But he did not murder anyone so including him in your discussion is a <deleted> at best.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So this so called person whom did the murdering that has the two lads incarcerated, where is your evidence ?

In regards to K'Boss, yes I would expect the same charges to be laid... rich or poor... But he did not murder anyone so including him in your discussion is a <deleted> at best.

Try doing some research yourself. If you do not know the case, and it seems you don't, Google it. There's a lot.

• Agree 2

If she works for the resort legally why can't she ferry guests around? What if was her friends staying at her house & just using the company car (if allowed maybe part of her contract package) to give them a lift somewhere? They'll be saying next if you drop family or friends off at the airport you'll be arrested - crazy 🤯

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

If she works for the resort legally why can't she ferry guests around? What if was her friends staying at her house & just using the company car (if allowed maybe part of her contract package) to give them a lift somewhere? They'll be saying next if you drop family or friends off at the airport you'll be arrested - crazy 🤯

Not part of her job description on her work permit, Thats a job Thai's can do, 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Not part of her job description on her work permit, Thats a job Thai's can do, 

She's pretty well off with resorts and the like and I would think employs Thais and or Burmese but this is simply rediculous. Maybe the Thai that normally does this was otherwise engaged maybe not but in the grand scheme of things when it comes to pettiness this is right up there. Not taking a job away from anyone as she is actually an employer that adds to the economy. She has created jobs. Not stolen a job meant only for Thais. Nothing will come of this if wiser heads prevail.

• Agree 2

For those going on about the 'assault' on foreigners working in Thailand, here is a list of prohibitive jobs 

What kind of Jobs can foreigners do in Thailand? in 2023 (belaws.com)  As you will see from the list, there are very few jobs that would appeal to most westerners in the first place so the list would rarely come into effect. 

Where this women fell foul was 'Driving motor vehicles for commercial purposes' however since it seems she does have a WP for her 'proper' job, I cannot see how this will go any further than a slap on the wrist/small fine and a reminder this is a prohibited profession. 

And before everyone starts bemoaning Thailand for it's stance on this, try and remember how difficult it is for a foreigner to work in your own home country. Thailand is just doing what the vast majority of countries do and tries to protect it's local work force. There may be the odd unreasonable case like this one (which I expect will come to nothing), but in the other examples (Brit being a tour guide and an unlicensed nursery with foreigners working with no WP), I cannot see an issue with them at all, especially working without a valid WP.        

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/9/2024 at 3:07 AM, ikke1959 said:

Thai people see the mote in the foreigners eyes, but don.t see the beam in their own. It is just getting to look like a witchhunt, or even what the Germans did before the second World War... blame a group and prosecute and deport them. And that in country that pretents to be welcoming retiring people, tourist and expats...

WOW! This sounds extremely serious! Thailand should allow foreigners to do whatever they like, if they say they are welcoming them! :whistling:

Edited by ravip
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

For those going on about the 'assault' on foreigners working in Thailand, here is a list of prohibitive jobs 

What kind of Jobs can foreigners do in Thailand? in 2023 (belaws.com)  As you will see from the list, there are very few jobs that would appeal to most westerners in the first place so the list would rarely come into effect. 

Where this women fell foul was 'Driving motor vehicles for commercial purposes' however since it seems she does have a WP for her 'proper' job, I cannot see how this will go any further than a slap on the wrist/small fine and a reminder this is a prohibited profession. 

And before everyone starts bemoaning Thailand for it's stance on this, try and remember how difficult it is for a foreigner to work in your own home country. Thailand is just doing what the vast majority of countries do and tries to protect it's local work force. There may be the odd unreasonable case like this one (which I expect will come to nothing), but in the other examples (Brit being a tour guide and an unlicensed nursery with foreigners working with no WP), I cannot see an issue with them at all, especially working without a valid WP.        

I note this dot point and immediately think of two nationalities doing exactly this.

Tour guide or sightseeing tour operation

I also do not see barwork on the list but according to my friend who has a small bar and tells me it's illegal for him to serve drinks, it certainly should be.

ps even volunteering needs a WP. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, dinsdale said:

I note this dot point and immediately think of two nationalities doing exactly this.

I also do not see barwork on the list but according to my friend who has a small bar and tells me it's illegal for him to serve drinks, it certainly should be. 

Why........?  🤔

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

ps even volunteering needs a WP. 

Bar work would fall under 

image.png.391cb08e64e405b1148df5c880310658.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Enoon said:

You think the Norwegian hasn't got money?:

"Sekkesaeter is the general manager of Pure Lifestyle, a company that operates Pha Ngan Paragon Resort & Spa"

They are tying her to a stake because she gave a couple of people a lift in her car.

That’s called prohibited work.

Follow the rules-no problems

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, ravip said:

WOW! This sounds extremely serious! Thailand should allow foreigners to do whatever they like, if they say they are welcoming them! :whistling:

Thailand welcomes Tourists, Tourists don't work and don't take jobs away from Thai people

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

How about Russians on Education Visas?

Few of them down here in Phuket, what I didn't understand was I always thought getting an ED visa was to learn Thai, I met a Russian a while ago on an ED visa he was learning English, 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Thailand welcomes Tourists, Tourists don't work and don't take jobs away from Thai people

Very true. But... some foreigners come on retirement visa etc and blatantly violate laws... and some others justify that!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ravip said:

Very true. But... some foreigners come on retirement visa etc and blatantly violate laws... and some others justify that!

Examples of foreigners violating laws on retirement visas and the resultant justifications please.

Thanks in advance. 

• Agree 1

On 3/9/2024 at 5:53 AM, Olmate said:

Ok thanks, so eg operating a travel kiosk,? outside 7/11 selling tours trips, realestate,to Russian speaking clients may be ok

No, sales is not allowed. You're allowed to advise, but a Thai must close the sale like accept money and issue a receipt/ voucher.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:00 AM, hotchilli said:

Depends on how much the palms have been greased.

Not at the moment.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:12 AM, webfact said:

is now facing charges for ferrying passengers in her vehicle, a violation of Thai law which forbids foreigners from driving passengers.

So my step-son or step-daughter arrives at the local bus station at say 2:30am and phones for a lift home as there are no taxi's available.

Does this mean I have got to say "cannot".

Would the same apply to my wife, son or daughter, by the way none of them can drive?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, foreverlomsak said:

So my step-son or step-daughter arrives at the local bus station at say 2:30am and phones for a lift home as there are no taxi's available.

Would the same apply to my wife, son or daughter, by the way none of them can drive?

Nonsense question.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

What part of commercial driving don't you understand? 

All the scenarios you mentioned are fine....unless you charge your step-son, wife or daughter which I assume you aren't going to do.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Nonsense question.

That's as maybe, but it is the logical step from the statement "violation of Thai law which forbids foreigners from driving passengers".

Especially as I have already been issued with a warning by Immigration for being 9km away from my house in my local town and not having my passport on me.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

That's as maybe, but it is the logical step from the statement "violation of Thai law which forbids foreigners from driving passengers".

There is no logic at all... just some half baked fantasy you have cooked up in your head.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Especially as I have already been issued with a warning by Immigration for being 9km away from my house in my local town and not having my passport on me.

I always thought a pic on your phone of your detail page and visa page is ok. I've only been asked once and this was a very long time ago by BIB in Bangkok. Showed them the pics and all was sweet.

44 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

This is of course only in a commercial sense. Hence the woman collecting passengers in the company car/van technically breaks the law. If she had driven her own car there would be no problem. It really is bottom of the barrel nit picking in this intance. I wonder how many times she's done it the past with no problems and only because of this knee jerk crackdown she's been done. As I have said previously she would employ people. She's not taking a job away from a Thai by driving to the airport/bus station or wherever to pick someone up and chances are most of the time a Thai does the pick up. More nonsense from Thai authorities flexing their powers.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Examples of foreigners violating laws on retirement visas and the resultant justifications please.

Thanks in advance. 

😆 🤣 😂 

Really?

You have no idea about it?

Sometimes,  ignorance is bliss, I have heard. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe the Thai that normally does this was otherwise engaged

Possibly but it shouldn't matter.  This should be taken in context.  Its most likely that this woman got along well with or knew these guests and just said 'I'll give you a ride to the airport' - and why not?  If she was/is taking guests to the airport regularly, that's a different matter.  If it was just a one off, hopefully the authorities will apply some common sense - one ride does not = loss of a Thai job.

• Agree 2