Boeing whistleblower found dead in US

Social Media

image.png

The death of John Barnett, a former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the company's production standards, has sent shockwaves through the aviation industry. Barnett, who had worked for Boeing for 32 years before retiring in 2017, was found dead from a "self-inflicted" wound on March 9th, just days after giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

Barnett's testimony in the lawsuit, along with his previous statements to the media, highlighted serious safety concerns at Boeing's North Charleston plant, where the 787 Dreamliner is manufactured. He alleged that under-pressure workers were fitting sub-standard parts to aircraft on the production line and raised alarms about problems with oxygen systems, which could compromise passenger safety.

Despite Boeing's denials, a 2017 review by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) upheld some of Barnett's concerns, confirming the presence of "non-conforming" parts in the factory and ordering remedial action. However, Barnett continued to pursue legal action against the company, accusing them of retaliating against him for raising safety issues.

His sudden death, while in Charleston for legal interviews related to the lawsuit, has raised questions and prompted expressions of sadness from both Boeing and Barnett's lawyer. The circumstances surrounding his death are under investigation by local authorities.

Barnett's passing comes at a time when both Boeing and its suppliers are facing increased scrutiny over production standards. A recent incident involving an emergency exit door on a Boeing 737 Max has further heightened concerns, leading to a six-week audit by the FAA that uncovered multiple instances of alleged failure to comply with manufacturing quality control requirements.

The tragic loss of John Barnett underscores the importance of whistleblower protections and the need for rigorous oversight in the aviation industry to ensure passenger safety.

Source

image.png

• Sad 3

Why would "they" "paint the house" now, after he's been a whistle-blower for seven-plus years?

Maybe he left a note? Maybe the firearm was registered to him? Maybe he was depressed?

Staging a suicide in a parked truck seems daunting.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Because, without guys like him, the next flight you get on may have even more loose and missing bolts than they already do.

Yeah and ?

we all gunna die someday.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

was a good segment on John Oliver about Boeing recently as well. Give it a watch

I saw that -- really informative, and really funny, too. Lays bare the excesses of unrestrained, unregulated capitalism.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If I were a conspiracy nut, (which I am not), I would love to dig deeply into this.

It does somehow remind me of an alleged quote by King Henry II of England back in 1170 about the then Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_no_one_rid_me_of_this_turbulent_priest%3F

While the quote was not expressed as an order, it prompted four knights to travel from Normandy to Canterbury, where they killed Becket. 

The phrase is commonly used in modern-day contexts to express that a ruler's wish may be interpreted as a command by his or her subordinates.

It is also commonly understood as shorthand for any rhetorical device allowing leaders to covertly order or exhort violence among their followers, while still being able to claim plausible deniability for political, legal, or other reasons.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, bg53 said:

Air travelers of the world will miss the courage of brave men like Barnett. It's hard to understand the pressures he had to endure. RIP.

no I won't ......  I don't even know him, he could have been a dubious character for all I know.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You had a 14 year passport?

Why not, i had an 14 yr PP in UK at one time you could renew a PP in the UK anytime and they tagged the remaining years to it, it had to change when the EU would not exept PP longer than 10 years!

• Like 1