Tories in chaos as senior MPs call plot to overthrow Sunak ‘madness’

Social Media

image.png

The Conservative Party is facing internal turmoil as reports emerge of a plot to replace Prime Minister Rishi Sunak with Penny Mordaunt before the upcoming general election. With the party's polling numbers at a low of 24 percent, backbench Tory MPs are allegedly considering a move to coronate Mordaunt as prime minister, marking the sixth change in leadership for the Conservatives since the 2010 general election.

However, despite rumors of a plot, allies of Mordaunt and other Tory figures have denied such plans, labeling them as "nonsense" and "madness." The reports suggest that right-wing Tory MPs may unite behind Mordaunt if Sunak faces a no-confidence vote, amid concerns about the party's performance in the upcoming local council elections on May 2.

Sunak's leadership has been under scrutiny following criticism of his handling of racist remarks made by a party donor and the defection of Lee Anderson to the right-wing Reform UK party. Meanwhile, Mordaunt, a former contender in the party's leadership race, has not commented on the claims, with allies indicating that she is focused on her ministerial duties.

The speculation about Sunak's position intensified after Jeremy Hunt's Budget failed to improve the party's polling figures and amid criticism of the government's response to recent controversies. Despite the challenges, a No 10 source emphasized that the prime minister remains focused on delivering his plan for the country's future.

The internal tensions within the Conservative Party come as Sunak rules out an early general election and a growing number of Tory MPs announce their departure from Parliament. This exodus has prompted speculation about potential gains for other parties, with Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey expressing confidence in his party's ability to challenge Conservative seats in key constituencies.

Source

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Whilst I believe Penny Mordant would be of benefit to the Tory Party, replacing Sunak with her at this stage of the game would achieve nothing.

The Tories need a good sorting out. This could best be achieved by her wielding that whopping great sword whilst in opposition.

In time she will make a very good leader.

• Agree 1

The desperation the Tories goes without saying, what’s being revealed here is how desperate Mordaunt is to become PM.

Putting aside Sunak won’t want to give up his post until he’s delivered a sold for his in-laws in the form of a UK/India trade deal that gives India everything India demands, who in their right mind wants to lead the Tories into defeat.

Has Mordaunt not heard of the glass cliff?

Somebody have a word, the time to take over is after the defeat, then very reasonably blame it on the idiots that came before you.

Mordaunt might also consider what price the rightwing zealots that are the cause of the Tory’s mess are going to exact for their support?

My advice to Mordaunt, sit down and sit it out.

You might not even be an MP after the election.

Bank the good times you’ve had, that bit with the sword was as good as it gets.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

Sunak may well be a very clever person with an impressive work ethic, however, imo what his tenure as PM has shown is that he lacks three crucial attributes necessary to succeed in the role: 1) charisma - he has none 2) public performance - he is uneasy being in the spotlight and 3) political nous - very lacking in this regard.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JayClay said:

It depends on your definition of success.

Sunak clearly went into the role to further line his and his family's pockets. And in that respect he's been a very successful PM.

Sunak and his wife are worth a combined £500+m.

Whatever his reasons for wanting to be PM, I very much doubt that boosting their wealth was the main motivating factor.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Well almost every major move he's made both as a chancellor and as PM just happens to have had the side effect  of lining his wife's pockets quite nicely.

Such as?

She liquidated her interest in one company which was a beneficiary of government policy. Another child-care organisation where she had an interest received a government grant of £350k, which isn't even loose change to her. She was effectively forced to give up her non-dom status. If anything, Rishi being PM has cost the Sunak household money.

And it's clear now that he's only delaying the election in order to try and get the Indian trade deal sorted.

Reform will be overjoyed if that's the case.

If Sunak thinks that a FTA with India will make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of the election, then he has even less political nous than I thought. Any FTA with India is bound to include concessions re Indian mitigation to the UK. That won't sit well either with the flat earthers in the Tory party or the wider Tory supporting electorate. 

500m, 300bn, 7000tn.... It doesn't matter how much money these sort of people have; it's never enough.

True of some, not of others.

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Sunak may well be a very clever person with an impressive work ethic, however, imo what his tenure as PM has shown is that he lacks three crucial attributes necessary to succeed in the role: 1) charisma - he has none 2) public performance - he is uneasy being in the spotlight and 3) political nous - very lacking in this regard.

4) He is not really a conservative.  

We will get 4/5 years of Labour followed by a swing to the right as the UK is more of a right leaning country (as demonstrated by the domination of the conservatives over the decades), but the conservatives have (quite bizarrely) stopped being conservative by raising taxes, shutting down the country and paying people not to work during covid, increasing immigration to record numbers etc.  Obviously this will get worse under Labour and I would not be surprised at all if a party like Reform were elected after Labour have had a go, unless of course we really are in upside down world and Labour become conservative in much the same way as the Tories emulated Labour during their time in government.   

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

4) He is not really a conservative.  

We will get 4/5 years of Labour followed by a swing to the right as the UK is more of a right leaning country (as demonstrated by the domination of the conservatives over the decades), but the conservatives have (quite bizarrely) stopped being conservative by raising taxes, shutting down the country and paying people not to work during covid, increasing immigration to record numbers etc.  Obviously this will get worse under Labour and I would not be surprised at all if a party like Reform were elected after Labour have had a go, unless of course we really are in upside down world and Labour become conservative in much the same way as the Tories emulated Labour during their time in government.   

You missed the bit about decimating public services, failing in their own feeble promises and the habitual Tory sleaze.

You ‘obviously’ Cristal ball stuff would be baseless except for being built on your own bias.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Well almost every major move he's made both as a chancellor and as PM just happens to have had the side effect  of lining his wife's pockets quite nicely.

And it's clear now that he's only delaying the election in order to try and get the Indian trade deal sorted.

500m, 300bn, 7000tn.... It doesn't matter how much money these sort of people have; it's never enough.

Interesting. Please share these moves. 

3 hours ago, RayC said:

In any other era Sunak would correctly be regarded as being on the right-wing of the Tory party. That he is portrayed as a liberal Conservative shows how far to the right the Tory party has lurched.

Given the absolute mess that Labour will inherit if elected - and the time it will take to try to turn things around - it wouldn't be a great surprise if things got worse before they get better.

Unfortunately, the whole of Europe seems to be moving right at the moment. Hopefully, in five years time - if not before - it will become clear how divisive and destructive these right-wing policies are, and we can revert to a more beneficial state of affairs i.e. policies based around a mixed economy and socially liberal values.

The whole of Europe is shifting right due to the mess the socially liberal policies are making of their countries.   Merkel's disastrous open door immigration policy is a fine example of a leader wanting to appear virtuous on the global stage at the expense of the safety and security of her citizens.  

The people of the UK are fed up with the Tories who have failed on every promise they have made.  Labour will do worse as there is not much in the way of "free money" they can use to bribe voters with for a second term, leaving the door open for a long overdue alternative to the globalist establishment parties.  

It's not the Tories shifting right, it's the left that have lurched so far left it only seems that the Tories are going right, when in reality they have taken up the positions Labour would normally hold.  

• Confused 2
  • Love It 2

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Interesting. Please share these moves. 

I was actually trying to find a list for my reply to @RayC as it happens, but Google isn't being very helpful unfortunately. I did watch a video on YouTube which listed quite a while back, but unfortunately didn't bookmark it. I will try and hunt it down again if I have time.

From the top of my head, I seem to remember his wife's childcare firm were set to make a mint from one of his more recent moves. And he got into "trouble" for not declaring his interest in that firm.

There's also the India trade deal looming which would reportedly make his family a fortune if he somehow manages to get his MPs to approve it.

38 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I was actually trying to find a list for my reply to @RayC as it happens, but Google isn't being very helpful unfortunately. I did watch a video on YouTube which listed quite a while back, but unfortunately didn't bookmark it. I will try and hunt it down again if I have time.

From the top of my head, I seem to remember his wife's childcare firm were set to make a mint from one of his more recent moves. And he got into "trouble" for not declaring his interest in that firm.

There's also the India trade deal looming which would reportedly make his family a fortune if he somehow manages to get his MPs to approve it.

You said "almost every major move".

Surely, if that is correct, they'd be easy to find on Google.

Try again.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, James105 said:

The whole of Europe is shifting right due to the mess the socially liberal policies are making of their countries.   Merkel's disastrous open door immigration policy is a fine example of a leader wanting to appear virtuous on the global stage at the expense of the safety and security of her citizens.  

The people of the UK are fed up with the Tories who have failed on every promise they have made.  Labour will do worse as there is not much in the way of "free money" they can use to bribe voters with for a second term, leaving the door open for a long overdue alternative to the globalist establishment parties.  

It's not the Tories shifting right, it's the left that have lurched so far left it only seems that the Tories are going right, when in reality they have taken up the positions Labour would normally hold.  

I agree with you re Merkel's 'open door' policy towards illegal migrants. No doubt well-meaning but a proven disaster.

I also agree with you about the Tories and that, if elected, Labour have a hell of a job on their hands. Whether they are successful remains to be seen but it's hard to believe that they can do any worse.

Unfortunately, that's where our agreement ends. Much of Europe has been governed by (coalitions of) centre right or far-right parties for most of the last decade. These parties have largely cited immigration as being the root cause of their respective country's problems. As far as I can see, there have been no positives from playing this blame game.

I find it ironic and disingenuous that the likes of Orban rails against the EU - presumably an integral part of the global establishment? - when the truth is that Hungary's recent relative economic prosperity is built upon its' membership of the EU.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Surely, if that is correct, they'd be easy to find on Google.

How much free time do you think I have to put towards such an insignificant argument.

I put in the search term "list of financial moves made by sunak since joining parliament" and various variations. But if somebody has compiled such a list, they haven't worked on their SEO because all returned links were unrelated. If such a list doesn't exist then I certainly don't have the time to complie it myself.

If you can suggest alternative search terms I'd be happy to try them.

I've given you two examples. If I come across the others then I will update you at that time, as you're clearly eager to hear about them.

Edited by JayClay

6 hours ago, JayClay said:

How much free time do you think I have to put towards such an insignificant argument.

I put in the search term "list of financial moves made by sunak since joining parliament" and various variations. But if somebody has compiled such a list, they haven't worked on their SEO because all returned links were unrelated. If such a list doesn't exist then I certainly don't have the time to complie it myself.

If you can suggest alternative search terms I'd be happy to try them.

I've given you two examples. If I come across the others then I will update you at that time, as you're clearly eager to hear about them.

If they really were "major moves" and were mostly to enrich the PM and his family, they'd be easily found on Google.

The fact you can't easily find them, proves you were talking from the other end to your mouth.

Why would I be Eagar to hear something that doesn't exist?

22 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

If they really were "major moves" and were mostly to enrich the PM and his family, they'd be easily found on Google.

The fact you can't easily find them, proves you were talking from the other end to your mouth.

Why would I be Eagar to hear something that doesn't exist?

Thank you for saving me the time. You've clearly indicated that whatever I respond with, you'll only end up quibbling over what actually fits the definition of a "major move", and I certainly don't have time for such silliness.

Now, would you like to provide an alternative theory about what Sunak wanted to achieve by entering politics/become chancellor/becoming PM?

11 hours ago, JayClay said:

Thank you for saving me the time. You've clearly indicated that whatever I respond with, you'll only end up quibbling over what actually fits the definition of a "major move", and I certainly don't have time for such silliness.

Now, would you like to provide an alternative theory about what Sunak wanted to achieve by entering politics/become chancellor/becoming PM?

You made a comment. All I'm doing is asking you to back that comment up with facts.

Lack of evidence popping up on Google can only really suggest you were making it up.

10 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You made a comment. All I'm doing is asking you to back that comment up with facts.

Lack of evidence popping up on Google can only really suggest you were making it up.

It depends where you look:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23697572.rishi-sunaks-family-firm-infosys-signed-1-5b-deal-bp/

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your trolling is getting worse. 

The comment to which I replied said " almost every major move". 

You might wish to help with the, so far, unsubstantiated list.

Edited by youreavinalaff

On 3/20/2024 at 11:40 PM, youreavinalaff said:

And I have accepted that I am unable to back that comment up right now.

It's not surprising that evidence is difficult to come by, because the UK media don't report on these kind of things. But you won't believe that, anyway so I'm not going to bother with that argument.

So, as I asked in my previous post, as we are now accepting that Sunak absolutely isn't in it for the money, would you perhaps like to suggest what you think he's in politics for? 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:48 AM, RayC said:

Regarding point 3, he finally appears to be reading the room with his recent criticism of Nike's decision to ridicule England fans and desecrate the St. George flag by recolouring it in LGBTQA+++ colours on the national shirt for to be "playful", in other words to take the pess out of their customers, much like Bud Light did (and look how that worked out).

Of course I don't believe this is a genuine reaction from him, he's as fake as they come but it is further evidence that people are growing tired of the insulting propaganda being shoved down their throats (no pun intended) by Woke multinationals and Sunak has finally realized this. 

Hopefully England fans refuse to buy it, especially considering the extortionate price coupled with Nike's proclivity to use cheap third world labour for maximum profit while virtue signalling. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68632034

I suspect if the useless Woke simp Southgate wasn't in charge this never would have happened. Hopefully the fans make their feelings known and he is sacked and hired by Man United to embarrass himself there. 

Even if Sunak's reaction is fake, at least he is now able to see the direction of travel against Woke idiocy. Kudos for that. 

We've had the rainbow armbands, the taking the knee to BLM and now this. The fish rots from the head and it is time for Southgate to go and the working class fans to push back. Sunak has seen this, albeit too late. Better late than never Rishi Sunak (or Rasheed Sanook as your decrepit hero Biden calls him). 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Regarding point 3, he finally appears to be reading the room with his recent criticism of Nike's decision to ridicule England fans and desecrate the St. George flag by recolouring it in LGBTQA+++ colours on the national shirt for to be "playful", in other words to take the pess out of their customers, much like Bud Light did (and look how that worked out).

Of course I don't believe this is a genuine reaction from him, he's as fake as they come but it is further evidence that people are growing tired of the insulting propaganda being shoved down their throats (no pun intended) by Woke multinationals and Sunak has finally realized this. 

Hopefully England fans refuse to buy it, especially considering the extortionate price coupled with Nike's proclivity to use cheap third world labour for maximum profit while virtue signalling. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68632034

I suspect if the useless Woke simp Southgate wasn't in charge this never would have happened. Hopefully the fans make their feelings known and he is sacked and hired by Man United to embarrass himself there. 

Even if Sunak's reaction is fake, at least he is now able to see the direction of travel against Woke idiocy. Kudos for that. 

We've had the rainbow armbands, the taking the knee to BLM and now this. The fish rots from the head and it is time for Southgate to go and the working class fans to push back. Sunak has seen this, albeit too late. Better late than never Rishi Sunak (or Rasheed Sanook as your decrepit hero Biden calls him). 

Not quite the LTBQA+++ colurs 

Fly the flag - NUFC The Mag

LGBTQIA+ Flags: Meanings and Colors Explained | LoveToKnow

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I'm sure an LGBT activitst like you knows what the colors represent. 

I am not a LGTB activist , its you who seems to know what all the colours mean in that department. 

As far as I am aware , the colours were supposed to represent England's 1966 training kit .

American flags, Thai flags , Swasitkas, Bud light .

Anyway, well done to Sunak for speaking out about it , where many would be to afraid to mention it 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1