My (Thai) partner is losing her hair. Can anything be done?

I know a lot of Thai women suffer from hair loss, especially as they get older. My partner is now 60 and is getting quite thin on top and wonders if anything can be done or just accept the inevitable? I feel really sorry for her as hair loss is probably more traumatic for a woman than a man. This is not funny, so respectful replies please.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

my wife has a problem in that she plucks white hairs from her head just about every night leaving bald patches and has taken to doing comb/brush overs to hide it, apart from that she has fairly thick hair but says she can "feel" the white hair, dont know if this is a thai thing  but she has been doing it for many years, she is in her 50's.

My partner has quite a bit of gray hair, but she sees the hairdresser once a month for colouring.

• Thumbs Up 1

Collagen in hair product that she uses may help improve your hair by providing amino acids and helping to fight

damaged hair follicles. It may also slow down thinning and greying. Collagen is the most abundant protein in

your body and helps make up tendons, ligaments, and your skin so a proper diet is also important in this situation...

• Thumbs Up 1

There are all sorts of possible reasons for thinning hair and the difficult part is identifying the reasons specific to an individual. Some vitamin and mineral deficiencies can contribute to thinning hair as can a lack of protein. But these are just a few of the many reasons that could be behind it.

• Agree 1

Can women take finasteride? It kills men's sex-drive but it could be harmless to women's.

Topical minoxidil is harmless to both sexes. I recommend buying the one for men (5%) instead of the one for women as the latter is less concentrated and only comes out more expensive all things equal.

• Sad 1

For some people Havilah shampoo (wash twice, once to remove oil and rince, then massage and leave for 3-5 min then rinse) works. Apparently formulated to Asian hair, whatever that's supposed to mean.

But there could also be reasons from diet, as it is said (I have no scientific evidence for it), that monosodium glutamate, as well as some types of meats promote hair loss.

Anyway, I have some friends on whom Havilah seems to have worked, so it may be worth a shot. It's available on Lazada. Many shops, including their official store.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Today, they have fairly good procedures for hair transplantations.

what I suggested already, but  some have no sense of  humour and i   dont mean the op

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My wife does this, and I have seen the new hair growth. She takes about 3/4 cup of ginger and chops it up really fine. Pounds it a bit. Heats it in the microwave until it is hot. Wraps it in a clean cloth. Then after washing her hair, she uses the wrapped ginger to massage her scalp for 5 minutes, reheating the ginger when it cools down. Leaves it on for 5 minutes and then washes it off. 3 to 4 days in a row. She said the first day the top of her head gets really hot, but the following days are not so bad.

My wife has just turned 40 and she too is suffering from hair loss, and although to me it is minimal, to her, she is losing, 'a lot'.

She has longish hair about shoulder length, maybe a little longer and I have said to her many times that if she were to cut her hair short, she would encourage growth.  But while she has it 'trimmed', occasionally, she won't go for the short, 'Bob' style that many western women will adopt, simply because,

a), her hair has 'always' been long

b), because she believes people will think she is a 'Tom'.

I try to encourage her to keep it short as I read somewhere, many years ago that when your hair, (Women, I am mainly referring to), is longer then the weight of their hair, hanging down is actually placing stress on the roots, not to mention the 'top knot' that many Thai women favour sometimes when working, or the swept back from the forehead fashion, also adopted by Asian women that stresses the roots as well.

Yet I know she would look really great with short hair and very cute. But, as the saying goes, "You can take a horse to water - but you can't make the horse drink it", right?

however,  often repeat my advice for a short style. Maybe one day she will listen - but perhaps I am wrong - yes?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1