Removing shoes going into a shop- selective hygiene?

My experience here in Surin province is that it's a fading practice for shops. Where 10 years ago I would remove my sandals before entering the barber's shop, now if you did that he would indicate to you not to bother.

Increasing population, pressures of work, old customs dying.

But still strictly applied on entering your house or someone else's. A nice custom, I think, in the tropics - bare feet on cool tiled floor. I impose it on any of my friends visiting from Oz and they enjoy it too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

the shop is sick of sweeping the floor every time a customer enters ....  they bring sand, dirt, gravel etc ....

so that's why they like to have no shoes inside.

I'm not sure I'd want to visit a shop where they are "sick" of cleaning the place!  Must be like a pigsty inside.  Surely cleanliness is essential when running a business for the public?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not sure I'd want to visit a shop where they are "sick" of cleaning the place!  Must be like a pigsty inside.  Surely cleanliness is essential when running a business for the public?

when you have a shop with clean shiny floor tiles you don't want sand and grit and gravel coming in regularly,  also tiny gravel can scratch the floor,   hence minimize sweeping so it's not done every ten minutes.  But they still maintain a clean environment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I don't get it when it is a shop selling products, services and goods, why do they want me to take my shoes off entering a doctor's/dentist surgery or similar?

You have to ask , why you should take your muddy shoes off before you enter a doctors office or a pharmacy? 

18 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

The problem at temples is that there can be so many pairs of shoes or sandals and the occasional problem of theft ... My b/f once told me his shoes were stolen outside a temple. I asked him what he did. He said he looked around for another pair that fitted him, put them on and walked away ...

Yeah, colleagues on our Malaysian project told me "If you need new shoes, go to the mosque".

• Haha 1

Same on a speed boat and that was on the quay side, I didn't realise I wasn't leaving these shoes 6000 baht a pair, fortunately I had a bag with me so I put them in there

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I can understand the request for shoes off but what really gets my goat is when there are shoes all over the place directly in front of the door!

Why can't people put them to the side thus allowing easy access into the building/house/shop?

Or better yet have a shoe rack like they do at some temples. 

I remember many years ago I got so wound up by bloody shoes in the way that I kick them all over the place.  Not really an appropriate response by damn I felt a lot better afterwards. 

I react the same way.

When the wife's relations invade, the shoes scattered haphazardly in front of my own door can be infuriating for a wheelchair user as I get bogged down in all the plastic and rubber. We have a shoe rack nearby which I think they regard as decorative only.

I consider shoes off to be fair and reasonable for a dwelling, but not for a pure retail outlet. The onus in keeping the floors clean is part of operating a business. Using other peoples feet or socks to assist is not reasonable.

10 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I dont shake hands with a Thai, they never wash their hands after a <deleted>, I'll stick to a wai

I never shook hands in the UK and I don't recall seeing anyone shaking hands, but maybe in my neck of the woods it wasn't a thing.  

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

What's them thingy's you get under your feet called? Never had them in my life until I came here, Years ago I asked the cleaner has she got them, she said yes, it's you bring them into the house, 

Edited by ChipButty

Thai often sit together on the floor and eat, watch TV, etc.

Lots of dogs in Thailand, plus general dirt on the roads n paths. I think it’s a great idea. Take yer fekkin shoes off  ya dirty hippies. 🤣

• Haha 2