Tinder ad slammed as an insult to Isaan women and Korat cuisine

webfact

Just now, Korat Kiwi said:

Not sure about attractive Bob, 

But delicious certainly! 

oh yeh?

tell me more mate..

i’m thinking about taking a trip there soon.

bob.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Korat Kiwi said:

Not sure about attractive Bob, 

But delicious certainly! 

Actually contrary to popular belief, not all the attractive ones go to Pattaya... you get ugly ones too! 

Dating app billboard criticised by Korat women’s right group

image.png

The leader of a women’s rights protection group in Thailand’s Nakhon Ratchasima province has described a dating app’s advertisement as being disrespectful to women.

“The word ‘delicious’ should only be used about food, but the ad used it about women. That is not appropriate. I personally think that the ad disrespects women,” said Chanyanut Surachat.

Several billboards promoting the Tinder dating app have popped up in the Muang district of Nakhon Ratchasima, known locally as Korat.

On the billboards, a question is asked: ‘What is delicious in Korat?’ There were two choices: ‘Fried Korat Noodles’ or ‘Korat ladies’. There was a checkmark next to ‘Korat Ladies’ and a cross next to ‘Fried Korat Noodles’.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-03-22

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Oh no.

'Woke' has come to Thailand  😱

"Go hook up with delicious women in some other city" isn't woke/not woke - it's just dumb. Most of us didn't come here because we saw a billboard. 

You're just seeing a "collision of poop for brained" people and deciding to pick a side for some reason. There is no side - they're exactly the same. 

Edited by Aviatorhi
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It's just a lowbrow ad. Not to everyone's taste, to say the least. Pretty much the same as vulgar jesting. It's crude and immature. But some people like it...
If it falls within city regulations and you don't like it, take it up with the city.
How is this news? Social media whining becomes news these days? :violin:

:coffee1:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, johng said:

What on earth is the problem with this ???????   its an advert an opinion a joke,  that some take everything so seriously is quite depressing.

Woke is the joke.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

oh yeh?

tell me more mate..

i’m thinking about taking a trip there soon.

bob.

You mean you will research Nakhon Ratchasima on Google and then make up a story about how bad it was for you up there

• Agree 1

Tinder has taken offence to that lady disrespecting and defaming their business and will be retaliating, and so have the delicious ladies of Korat.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The word ‘delicious’ should only be used about food, but the ad used it about women. That is not appropriate.

Actually, dear Chanyanut, in the right circumstances it is quite appropriate and a compliment to use the term 'delicious' with a woman. I have done so on a few occasions and the reactions were always extremely positive. I assume that you have rather limited experiences in that regard... :tongue: 

• Agree 1

"500 meters away from the Statue of Thao Suranari" ..... really? What would be the "appropriate" distance then? Gives you the medieval mindset of the protester - nothing more! Uneducated grannies and uncles now can be collected in upcountry busses and driven into city centres for protesting, free Somtam and a 500 Baht note once dropped off home in the sticks of 19th century again. 

Censoring is the duty of the government and quite obviously this ad it is either admissible or overseen. The rest is a matter of (possibly bad?) taste. 

The advertising agency though needs to be awarded a medal of solid gold for the fact, that their campaign is being not only noticed but meanwhile gets carried in the dailies all over Thailand; possibly also other media like TV - free of charge.

Remember = there is no bad advertising! 

• Agree 1