Missing Canadian found dead at central Thailand railway station

webfact

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

This may well be the case but if this bloke wasn't sitting where he was, and was not supposed to be, this thread would not exist and the man would not have died. I think a legal case would be hard pressed to get any compensation.

yes,   I'm not saying your wrong,  as correct, passengers are not permitted or allowed sitting smoking or loitering in-between carriages.   I'd like to see the intrusion he hit.  He must have been hanging outside the door.

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,   I'm not saying your wrong,  as correct, passengers are not permitted or allowed sitting smoking or loitering in-between carriages.   I'd like to see the intrusion he hit.  He must have been hanging outside the door.

Yep. Sadly some people don't think and the loss of life can well be the outcome in certain situations. Happens on the roads constantly. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RobU said:

Just a theory

He sat on the platform between  carriages with his legs dangling over the side. He took his shirt off because he was sweating. His legs hit the partial construction at the side of the track (which was not a problem if he had kept his legs in). He was dragged off the carriage platform by the force of the impact. He managed to crawl under the track platform where he died. I suspect his shirt will be found either on the carriage platform or somewhere along the track where it was blown off by the wind or dragged off with him. RIP 

yes,   not sure as it doesn't say how it happened....   I thought he was leaning out the door as the train approached the station and his leg struck something sticking out from construction material.   We don't know ...  or was he on the platform having a smoke  ?

31 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,   not sure as it doesn't say how it happened....   I thought he was leaning out the door as the train approached the station and his leg struck something sticking out from construction material.   We don't know ...  or was he on the platform having a smoke  ?

Sitting on the train between carriages having a smoke with his legs protruding to such an extent that something on or around the station platform collected his leg ripping him from the train. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps only a Thai could sleep under the platform a few feet from passing trains.

Guess his bosses did not like him to nap, that's quite a good hiding spot..

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sitting on the train between carriages having a smoke with his legs protruding to such an extent that something on or around the station platform collected his leg ripping him from the train. 

oh right '    very dangerous practice if that's the case.

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Probably only get 1 train a day. 

It's the BKK to Southern Provinces route, which would include traffic to neighboring countries. There are at least 18 passenger trains a day, according to the schedule.

Presumably a lot of freight also

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

He's a smoker.

Grim reaper was already sharpening the scythe.

Hence the term "dieing for a fag"

RIP young man.

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No nowhere at all in Thailand,....... Whooosh. 

Yeah bugger... My next question was going to be  if vaping is allowed real ciggies should be too !

Do ya reckon this fella went Whoosh as he exited the train ?

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

His Minimum wage would be around 400 baht a day, starting time 8am. 

400 baht per day is the proposed minimum wage it remains between 325 and 350 per day depending on the province. Small subcontractors rarely pay minimum wage, a man desperate for work will not complain. Often employers include meals as part of the employment and subtract the inflated cost from the employees wages

Edited by RobU

14 minutes ago, RobU said:

400 baht per day is the proposed minimum wage it remains between 325 and 350 per day depending on the province. Small subcontractors rarely pay minimum wage, a man desperate for work will not complain. Often employers include meals as part of the employment and subtract the inflated cost from the employees wages

Omg we've got so many people wanting to argue with me needlessly today, 325 - 350 is around 400. 

180 is NOT 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

It's the BKK to Southern Provinces route, which would include traffic to neighboring countries. There are at least 18 passenger trains a day, according to the schedule.

Presumably a lot of freight also

He's not working 24 hours a day and I doubt 18 trains a day pas through, I'd need you to supply a link to confirm.

Anyway, most trains would be night time, off shift, so he'd probably see 3 or 4 trains on his shift.

An hourly nap everyday, peaceful and cool under that platform. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Not a bad job, able to have a nap every afternoon. 

Many educated doctors will tell you that <20 minute nap has massive benifits.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'd need you to supply a link to confirm.

Hahahaha. Your needs are my main motivation in life.

Check out the Thai Rail site for scheduling as I did. 

Why on earth would you think the main (only?) Capital to the South Provinces line would only have 1 train?  Haha

Sleeping next to a busy rail line peaceful? I think not.  Hidden, yes., 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

oh right '    very dangerous practice if that's the case.

I used to do it a lot on that very line but ALWAYS a good idea not to put any part of your body out that can get ripped off if you can't see what's coming. For sure there will now be a crackdown and that particular avenue of going for a smoke will be curtailed. I remember a woman being raped on that line and if I remember correctly that led to no alcohol on trains and eventually all train and bus stations.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

He's not working 24 hours a day and I doubt 18 trains a day pas through, I'd need you to supply a link to confirm.

Anyway, most trains would be night time, off shift, so he'd probably see 3 or 4 trains on his shift.

An hourly nap everyday, peaceful and cool under that platform. 

I lived in Ban Pong which is in Ratchaburi and where the line goes through and let me tell you there are plenty of trains to and from the south on that line. You don't know what your talking about.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

without managing so much as a RIP. 

RIPs to total strangers, from total strangers, on a forum that his family is unlikely to know exists (never mind care about the thoughts of its usually vitriolic, anonymous members) are, by definition, pointless apart from for the self-aggrandising, back-patting, virtue signalling RIP-ers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I lived in Ban Pong which is in Ratchaburi and where the line goes through and let me tell you there are plenty of trains to and from the south on that line. You don't know what your talking about.

I lived there also, the worker would only see a few trains his shift. You don't know what you are talking about. 

How good is this forum, a Canadian dies and people want to stupidly argue about trains. 

Get a life LOOSERS. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

RIPs to total strangers

I agree and have argued this point many times over the years on AN forums, this nonsense, RIP's to total strangers.

They could be nasty people, criminals, Pedo's, murderers etc.

Why do these people want to do this, it really annoys me.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I lived there also, the worker would only see a few trains his shift. You don't know what you are talking about. 

How good is this forum, a Canadian dies and people want to stupidly argue about trains. 

Get a life LOOSERS. 

You lived in Ban Pong? Question where does the other railway line go? As for argue about trains he was on a train one of many that pass through the Ratchaburi Station every day. You are the one who said only 3 or 4 trains a day. You're wrong and won't accept that others may be right. By the way goods trains and trains transporting army vehicles also use that line.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1