'Next pandemic is around the corner,' expert warns - but would lockdown ever happen again?

Social Media

It would not surprise me, a lot of people made a lot of money out of the last pandemic, the medical profession, some hotels etc. so it would seem that the next pandemic will be welcomed in some quarters.

In the "review" which is still ongoing for millions they have ignored the most important question of lockdown instead focusing on who said what to what so more political, so a good chance lessons won't be learnt

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

If people are mentally-unable to cope with lock-downs, then may I politely suggest that it is these kinds of people that Darwin was referring to when he espoused about survival of the fittest. 

It's not the people unable to cope with lockdowns, it's the businesses destroyed and the economic ruin as a consequence that is the problem.

I suppose you were all right Jack, and didn't care about the effects it had on the economy? Dogs and mangers comes to mind.

14 hours ago, James105 said:

Even if you could inject hindsight directly into the 70-80% of people who craved lockdowns and literally show them how much economic damage it caused for no difference in outcomes they would do the same thing all over again, and probably demand longer and harder lockdowns as the previous ones were ineffective. 

IMO there are a lot of sheeple out there.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, impulse said:

It's going to be years before we know if the long term effects of the mRNA are a net positive or a net negative.

Won't affect me as I refused to have one of those.

I don't think I could go through another lockdown BS, so I might just deliberately get infected and shuffle off. I've had my best days and nothing to look forward to anyway.

There aren't any guarantees though. I had covid and it wasn't worse than a mild cold.

• Like 1

Next pandemic around the corner!

Perhaps one should be looking a little closer at funding certain bio labs, and stop them playing around with or inserting sites to make viruses more lethal. Kinda like Wuhan etc!

19 hours ago, impulse said:

It's going to be years before we know if the long term effects of the mRNA are a net positive or a net negative.

It'll also be years before we know whether shutting kids out of school ruined more lives than it improved.

I'm pretty sure we already know how stupid it was to close restaurants while letting liquor stores stay open.  But I'm open to new data.  Though they lost me when they banned walking on my beach in the middle of winter, which is how many of us get our exercise.

The useful idiots are the ones who take as gospel the narrative that's being spoon fed to them without critically examining simple stuff like how they know long term results when it hasn't been a long term yet.  And more complicated stuff like conflicts of interest and asking what the vax skeptics have to gain, compared to the vax pushers who have gained $billions. 

The usual nonsense...

The effect of lockdowns and vaccine have been extensively analysed...

Talking about idiots... 😀

• Like 2

18 hours ago, James105 said:

I admire your optimism but I think "the people" will willingly accept it all over again.  Even if you could inject hindsight directly into the 70-80% of people who craved lockdowns and literally show them how much economic damage it caused for no difference in outcomes they would do the same thing all over again, and probably demand longer and harder lockdowns as the previous ones were ineffective.  Propaganda is a powerful tool and far too many people are susceptible to it.   Governments have experience of using this tool now and will use it even more effectively next time as covid was a wonderful and profitable time for the richest and most powerful on the planet, and there is just no way they will let the next one go to waste.

B.S. There were differences in outcomes!

5 minutes ago, candide said:

B.S. There were differences in outcomes!

Yes, I stand corrected.  Sweden without a lockdown had lower excess deaths than countries that applied lockdowns, so it could easily be argued that lockdowns caused worse outcomes than not locking down.   

image.png.cf6f35310cff129266d6c4b78a97fe14.png

https://www.cato.org/policy-analysis/sweden-during-pandemic#excess-deaths

8 minutes ago, candide said:

It seems you are quite selective about which statistics you share! 😀

Taking Covid death rates as measure doesn't show the same outcome.

If you look at historical data Sweden had a much higher Covid death rate than its neighbours in 2020, so lockdowns implemented by its neughbours have been efficient). From 2021 they introduced much more restrictions, and the death rate fell. (even if not a full-lockdown). Another aspect is that Sweden has one of the highest Covid vaccination rate (too bad for the antivax nutters 😀)

Another more general comment us that Nordic countries have lower death rateS, bothered us also a geographical/cultural factor.

20230706_vasquez_norberg_covid_deaths_in_europe_figure_1.jpg

Sure, if the only thing people died of was covid then preventing covid deaths would be a good thing.  Unfortunately during this period the things that kill people in much greater numbers did not go away and were probably exasperated due to lockdowns (people not being screened for cancer/heart conditions whilst still treatable etc).  Also different countries counted covid deaths differently so is not a reliable number for comparison.   

What is a reliable number though is excess deaths from any cause.  So my point stands, that Sweden without a lockdown had lower excess deaths than countries that applied lockdowns, so it could easily be argued that lockdowns caused worse outcomes than not locking down.   

I know the data does not suit the narrative that 'lockdowns saved lives' (sorry about that), and this is the point I was making earlier.   Even with cold hard facts presented to those who thought lockdowns were a good idea that demonstrates they were palpably not a good idea, people (such as yourself) would willingly accept lockdowns even with knowing this fact.  

• Agree 1

On 3/25/2024 at 5:15 PM, simon43 said:

Wow, this post has really brought out the soft-brained, the wannabe scientists, the low IQed, the anarchists, the gullible, the useful idiots etc etc!

Yeah, but what do you really think about us?