Air India sacks pilot for boozy flight from Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

Air India sacked a pilot caught flying under the influence of alcohol following a positive alcohol test conducted after operating a flight from Phuket to India.

The captain, who flew a Phuket-Delhi route last week, underwent a breathalyser (BA) test upon arrival in Delhi. In a bold move, Air India is set to lodge a First Information Report (FIR) against the errant pilot, firmly establishing their stance on the matter.

“While Air India’s official statement is pending, sources within the airline have expressed zero tolerance towards such misconduct.

“We have taken very strong action, not only terminating his service but also planning to file an FIR as operating a flight under the influence of alcohol is a criminal act. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has been informed.”

This incident sheds light on the vigilance required within the aviation industry. Unlike domestic flights where alcohol is strictly prohibited, international flights often offer alcoholic beverages, necessitating post-flight BA tests for flight crew.

Notably, statistics from the initial half of 2023 reveal a concerning trend, with 33 pilots and 97 cabin crew members failing BA tests, reported The Economic Times.

Consequences for failing such tests are severe, with a three-month license suspension for first-time offenders, escalating to a three-year suspension for subsequent violations, and license revocation upon a third offence.

In related news, come March 31, Thai Airways (THAI) will operate flights to Perth in Western Australia and Colombo in Sri Lanka.

In addition, THAI’s first flight to Southwest India’s Cochin Airport will take off on April 2. Chief Commercial Officer, Korakot Chatasingha promised a daily dose of connectivity between Bangkok and Perth, complementing the airline’s existing routes to Melbourne and Sydney.

In other news, India and Thailand penned a pivotal Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on air services. The bilateral MoU will further enhance the capacities of airlines operating between the two countries, aiming at strengthening people-to-people and economic ties.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of The Economic Times

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-29

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

Notably, statistics from the initial half of 2023 reveal a concerning trend, with 33 pilots and 97 cabin crew members failing BA tests, reported The Economic Times.

Looking for a reference. Is this worldwide or just India?

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/transportation/airlines-/-aviation/breath-analyser-test-dgca-issues-revised-norms-pilots-crew-members-barred-from-using-mouthwash-tooth-gel/articleshow/104897226.cms

• Like 1

Endangers many passengers. Do you think he can be dry again after 3 months? I will no longer fly with Air India. Why is there no alcohol and drug test when the pilots board?

Edited by baipaibkk
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Air India sacked a pilot caught flying under the influence of alcohol following a positive alcohol test conducted after operating a flight from Phuket to India.

Shouldn't tests be conducted before a flight, rather than after? That's what happens in the real world but not, it seems, in Phuket.

49 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Shouldn't tests be conducted before a flight, rather than after? That's what happens in the real world but not, it seems, in Phuket.

I don't know if regulations require a test before a flight or not.

If tests are required before take off, do you have any evidence to suggest that the step was skipped?? I think the suggestion from the story is that the pilot consumed the alcohol while in the air.

Edited by JayClay

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Fly with an Islamic airline like Brunei, no booze on them.

I flew with RB years ao, they don't serve booze but you can drink from your own supply.

Qatar, Gulf Air, Emirates, Etihad are all Islamic airlines that serve booze.

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

They only need to be half sober for take off and landing in case they have to press a button or talk to air traffic control without slurring their words.

There's an old joke that goes: "All you need in the cockpit nowadays is a pilot and a Rottweiler. The pilot to feed the Rottweiler, and the Rottweiler to stop the pilot from touching anything!"☺️

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I flew with RB years ao, they don't serve booze but you can drink from your own supply.

Qatar, Gulf Air, Emirates, Etihad are all Islamic airlines that serve booze.

I liked the Scottish pilot, on landing in Brunei, over an open mike said

" I couldn't 'af go a bacon sandwich now" True story. 

10 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Have reservations about russian pilots, after all the russians do everything with vodka,

So, why not fly a plane.

it would be nothing surprising if they did not have breathalyzers there.

Edited by Peterphuket

14 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Have reservations about russian pilots, after all the russians do everything with vodka,

So, why not fly a plane.

it would be nothing surprising if they did not have breathalyzers there.

When I worked in New Guinea we had a MiL-8 helicopter with a 9 man Russian crew, they were forever at the vodka. It was a 5-ton lift chopper only used for freight (up to 5 tons), so we never flew in it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Fly with an Islamic airline like Brunei, no booze on them.

A Saudi friend once took me to the disco in the basement of the Grace Hotel.

Believe me, some of those Arabs can really drink once they are away from the mullahs!

2 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

A Saudi friend once took me to the disco in the basement of the Grace Hotel.

Believe me, some of those Arabs can really drink once they are away from the mullahs!

Were they all pilots?

• Haha 1