Diabetes Epedemic

6 hours ago, george said:

Where do you place these sensors on the body? Are they uncomfortable to wear? 

I have Type 2 and would like to control it better..

Apparently in location shown on picture below, there's no pain whatsoever on installing it, and with that thin foil over it, it's more securely attached. If you don't have hair, then it is very comfortable, except for an hour or 2 after removing it, it's not great to put another sensor in the same place, as the skin is a bit sore from pulling the glue of the old one off.

image.thumb.png.9c148f5d98feefdeedca32ec4164abc9.png

Here's a video that we followed:

But some people put it on the belly, 2-3 cm lower than belly button, about 10-15 cm towards the side, especially the 2-part sensors (sensor and transmitter are separate), but for Libre, above is probably quite safe place to put it and it seems to stay put (about 3 months now, no incidents of knocking it off or alike).

Last note, if you put it in place where you have hair, then after some days it could become itchy under the glue of the sensor. The area above usually has less hair than other parts of the body, so it's quite ideal.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why don't you focus on reversing it?

There's a guy Cyrus who had diabetes since about 20's that has a channel Mastering Diabetes on Youtube. It's focused around reversing insulin resistance. My better half is double diabetic (1&2) so it made sense to do something about type 2 first. And that seems to have been quite effective. She went from 10 units to 4 in about 2 months, while her readings are far more stable than before. Before she had spikes to 600, now she barely gets to 250, and is mostly resorting to sweet drinks when it drops too low.

I absolutely agree with you. It's worth to try. There's nothing to lose 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of people have managed to reverse their type 2 diabetes by adopting a keto or carnivore diet. There's a lot online about this so anyone can do their own research and make up their own mind about whether it's something they'd like to try.

On 4/8/2024 at 2:44 PM, Ratel Snake said:

The joy of capitalism and its endless creativity when it comes to manufacture junk food and kill people.

The reason for the prevalence of diabetes in Thailand is the rice. Maybe a shock for some, but polished white rice is really unhealthy.

In our village, there is not a single older person without diabetes.

Why was this not an issue in the past? Then, price was not polished by modern efficient machinery and people ate a lot less -- at least in the Isaan I know, people were that poor, that they had a single bowl of rice and whatever plants could be gathered on the paddy edges.

On 4/8/2024 at 2:44 PM, Ratel Snake said:

The joy of capitalism and its endless creativity when it comes to manufacture junk food and kill people.

"No it's not capitalism! People are responsible for their actions!"

Yeah right....

It's not capitalism, it's the perfidious power system 'democracy'. Only in democracies big corps are allowed to poison people and fear no real consequences.

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

A lot of people have managed to reverse their type 2 diabetes by adopting a keto or carnivore diet. There's a lot online about this so anyone can do their own research and make up their own mind about whether it's something they'd like to try.

No need for extremes like keto or carnivore diet

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

The reason for the prevalence of diabetes in Thailand is the rice. Maybe a shock for some, but polished white rice is really unhealthy.

In our village, there is not a single older person without diabetes.

Why was this not an issue in the past? Then, price was not polished by modern efficient machinery and people ate a lot less -- at least in the Isaan I know, people were that poor, that they had a single bowl of rice and whatever plants could be gathered on the paddy edges.

Possibly the reason is because more Thais did physical labour in the past.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

Possibly the reason is because more Thais did physical labour in the past.

The world is getting fatter, just look to the past for the answer, proper food, bin the processed junk food, don't see food and drink as entertainment 

On 4/11/2024 at 4:06 PM, brommers said:

As a type 2 sufferer I fail to understand why it is not possible to purchase a Continuous Glucose Monitor in Thailand, unlike many Western countries. These easy to use devices give out realtime information on glucose levels without the finger prick. This greatly enhanced our ability to understand the impact that foods have and modify our eating to minimise sugar spikes. Why does this country prevent us living a more carefully managed life? I suspect there is pressure from the likes of hospitals that want to control their use and make big bucks.

I prick my finger every morning, it's not an issue for me......we do not live in the west.

At least you can easily purchase diebetis monitoring equipment...that was not the case 20 years ago so there has been progress

On 4/9/2024 at 11:03 AM, JensenZ said:

Definitely, since 2020 with covid, more people have been tested, inflating the statistics.

I'm not sure if the doctors in Thailand will mention anything if the levels are only pre-diabetic. I know in Australia doctors will tend to say you have insulin resistance if you are in the pre-diabetic range. The reason is simple. If the "diabetic" word is used, that's a red flag for health insurance policies.

In Thailand the term "High blood" is often used to refer to blood sugar levels. And for  most  people over 50 seem to almost brag that they have  "high blood".

The correlation with  sucrose  intake probably is correct.

Sadly I know several  westerners who seem to believe their daily intake of zero coke compensates for exactly the same diagnosed problem  with insulin variables !

Type 2 diabetes is a positive  cash cow to  big pharma and nobody questions the pandemic. It is beyond epidemic !

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 7:55 AM, Tazmo said:

Don’t forget the sugar in alcohol! Just as harmful.

And in countries where alcohol is banned, except for a special license, like the Middle East. Diabetes was or still is the highest in the world.

They eat more sweet stuff during Ramadan, breaking their fast with a feast. Some eat all night, until daybreak, especially those in traditional areas, where they do not work during Ramadan, restaurants including Mac D are all closed!
I am sure that India is not far behind!

It is said to be ‘ familiar’ ( occurs in families) as opposed to genetics?

Don’t forget the sugar in alcohol! Just as harmful.

Not true.

The slow acting poison is refined sugar.

Not what you ingest from food.

Fruit are a good food for example.

And the real problem is that Thai food is all laced with refined sugar.

• Thumbs Up 2

This here is the real problem.

Refined sugar sold at one Super Cheap Minimart, in about 10 days.

Bought mainly by people who cook for others. All these one kilo packs of refined sugar, white and brown, were eaten by clients unaware that the cooks know nothing about cooking, and put refined sugar and MSG so that they appear as making good food.

What Thai people here are used to is that taste of sugar, and they now love it.

I cook with no sugar at all, I have not bought refined sugar in the last 40 years, and my food taste good. Just not because of refined sugar.

And I will not eat Thai food. Unrefined food cooked by unrefined people...

Sugar-Super Cheap- 1.jpg

Sugar-Super Cheap- 2.jpg

26 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

This here is the real problem.

Refined sugar sold at one Super Cheap Minimart, in about 10 days.

Bought mainly by people who cook for others. All these one kilo packs of refined sugar, white and brown, were eaten by clients unaware that the cooks know nothing about cooking, and put refined sugar and MSG so that they appear as making good food.

What Thai people here are used to is that taste of sugar, and they now love it.

I cook with no sugar at all, I have not bought refined sugar in the last 40 years, and my food taste good. Just not because of refined sugar.

And I will not eat Thai food. Unrefined food cooked by unrefined people...

Sugar-Super Cheap- 1.jpg

Sugar-Super Cheap- 2.jpg

I eat loads of carbs fruit and sugar, fit, slim and healthy, blood tests good, its the western fatty junk food that's the problem

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I eat loads of carbs fruit and sugar, fit, slim and healthy, blood tests good, its the western fatty junk food that's the problem

What do you man by 'sugar'.

Refined white sugar?.

Or carbs and sweet fruit, which are not the problem.

5 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

What do you man by 'sugar'.

Refined white sugar?.

Or carbs and sweet fruit, which are not the problem.

With regards to diabetes, carbs and fruit are most certainly a problem. Diabetes is essentially carbohydrate toxicity. Eat enough high-sugar fruit and you will become diabetic!

The problem with fruit is that some varieties are very high in sugar. A little fruit is fine. A lot of fruit most certainly is not, especially if you are already consuming a high-carb diet.

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

With regards to diabetes, carbs and fruit are most certainly a problem. Diabetes is essentially carbohydrate toxicity. Eat enough high-sugar fruit and you will become diabetic!

The problem with fruit is that some varieties are very high in sugar. A little fruit is fine. A lot of fruit most certainly is not, especially if you are already consuming a high-carb diet.

Read Tomaz's posts on this thread, they are the best

"Type 2 is insulin resistance. Meaning there is insulin in the body, but cells can't use it to absorb glucose from blood. Again, while sugar and carbohydrates cause spikes in glucose, they are not the main reason for insulin resistance, which often can be reversed (increasing insulin sensitivity), and there are several quite successful programs for it, which include cutting out fats, blaming them for "clogging" cells and therefore starving them of energy. Type 2 diabetes patients are generally very slim, although they consume large amount of foods. Improving sensitivity to insulin can lower the glucose levels without medication, although it requires significant lifestyle changes, where many people rather take medication like Metmorfin, or even resort to insulin injection"

Although type 2 patients are not generally very thin, generally they are overweight, maybe he's referring to Thailand 

Edited by scubascuba3

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Read Tomaz's posts on this thread, they are the best

"Type 2 is insulin resistance. Meaning there is insulin in the body, but cells can't use it to absorb glucose from blood. Again, while sugar and carbohydrates cause spikes in glucose, they are not the main reason for insulin resistance, which often can be reversed (increasing insulin sensitivity), and there are several quite successful programs for it, which include cutting out fats, blaming them for "clogging" cells and therefore starving them of energy. Type 2 diabetes patients are generally very slim, although they consume large amount of foods. Improving sensitivity to insulin can lower the glucose levels without medication, although it requires significant lifestyle changes, where many people rather take medication like Metmorfin, or even resort to insulin injection"

Although type 2 patients are not generally very thin, generally they are overweight, maybe he's referring to Thailand 

Insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes are not the same thing, though Insulin resistance can eventually lead to T2D.

All over the world, obese people are more likely to develop T2D. However it is possible for people of perfectly normal weight to also develop it if they have a genetic pre-disposition.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:44 PM, Ratel Snake said:

"No it's not capitalism! People are responsible for their actions!"

Yeah right....

This was always going to happen with industrial technology and abundance. What are the alternatives? Go full communism and give all food production  and pricing over to the government?

On 4/14/2024 at 2:55 AM, AreYouGerman said:

It's not capitalism, it's the perfidious power system 'democracy'. Only in democracies big corps are allowed to poison people and fear no real consequences.

This is more crazy talk. Producing sugar is cheap and easy now and people like it. Your choices are to make sugar illegal or impose rationing and essential make it a controlled substance. Imagine how crazy that would get.

8 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

This is more crazy talk. Producing sugar is cheap and easy now and people like it. Your choices are to make sugar illegal or impose rationing and essential make it a controlled substance. Imagine how crazy that would get.

?

So, banning cigarettes which are less harmful than sugar, especially the nicotine which raises Testosterone and brain function, is the way to go? Why are mega corps allowed to poison us without any responsibility? 

Imagine how crazy it is without regulating these mega corps. But wait, they are not regulated. Just a couple of days ago, Nestle has been found to put high levels of sugars into baby milk powder. And this is just a recent very small example of what is going on. The ones who are regulated are small businesses / entrepreneurs, mega corps are allowed to poison us.

3 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

So, banning cigarettes which are less harmful than sugar, especially the nicotine which raises Testosterone and brain function, is the way to go? Why are mega corps allowed to poison us without any responsibility? 

Imagine how crazy it is without regulating these mega corps. But wait, they are not regulated. Just a couple of days ago, Nestle has been found to put high levels of sugars into baby milk powder. And this is just a recent very small example of what is going on. The ones who are regulated are small businesses / entrepreneurs, mega corps are allowed to poison us.

they don't even regulation alcohol or cigarettes to that degree. You'd need to literally implement rationing and track peoples consumption then deny them purchases. No government could manage that without massive backlash, maybe North Korea.

People need to learn how to deal with industrial production capacity and limit their consumption. It's not just sugar it's food in general and every other sort of vice.

6 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

they don't even regulation alcohol or cigarettes to that degree. You'd need to literally implement rationing and track peoples consumption then deny them purchases. No government could manage that without massive backlash, maybe North Korea.

People need to learn how to deal with industrial production capacity and limit their consumption. It's not just sugar it's food in general and every other sort of vice.

+1 for North Korea.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Insulin resistance and Type 2 Diabetes are not the same thing, though Insulin resistance can eventually lead to T2D.

All over the world, obese people are more likely to develop T2D. However it is possible for people of perfectly normal weight to also develop it if they have a genetic pre-disposition.

Just to make it clear about type 2 and being overweight 

Screenshot_2024-04-20-04-43-06-665_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

More and more diseases are treatable, resulting in fewer deaths from such diseases. However, people still have to die eventually, so there has to be an increase in people getting sick and dying from other diseases. Noncommunicable diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, and cancer are among those.

I'm not saying that lifestyle changes don't play a role, but this should also be taken into account.

1 hour ago, PPMMUU said:

I'm not saying that lifestyle changes don't play a role, but this should also be taken into account.

Yep, we're taking into this account and the wiser among us are trying to follow a health lifestyle to avoid chronic diseases associated with metabolic syndrome.

• Agree 1

trying to follow a health lifestyle  gets confusing

Diabetic since Feb 1991 [at that time Dr said I could have been diabetic for many years before this] as very high BS + very high BP

So so control on healthy lifestyle + Med's for years

2015 very bad = ER - outcome was Stage 5 CKD. worked hard on lifestyle change  No Salt, No Red Meat No Diet drinks = down to between stage 2 and 3 for a few years

about October last year things not right, Dr added Vitamins of all kinds... Last Friday not good on my normal 90 day Dr Visit, Low BP + Low BS + Stage 4 CKD !   extra blood tests ordered = will get full result this Friday  [Little Village Hospital so for extra test blood must go to big Hospital]

Low Red Blood Cell Count !!  appears healthily eating not correct ?  looking on web eat more Red Meat ??  the odd thing is Dr said do not take any more Vitamin B12, yet web shows many different places and Countries to increases Vitamin B12  ??   gets confusing

Dr also told  me to drink a glass of milk a day....  years ago told no dairy products !!

Edited by ignis

19 hours ago, ignis said:

trying to follow a health lifestyle  gets confusing

Diabetic since Feb 1991 [at that time Dr said I could have been diabetic for many years before this] as very high BS + very high BP

So so control on healthy lifestyle + Med's for years

2015 very bad = ER - outcome was Stage 5 CKD. worked hard on lifestyle change  No Salt, No Red Meat No Diet drinks = down to between stage 2 and 3 for a few years

about October last year things not right, Dr added Vitamins of all kinds... Last Friday not good on my normal 90 day Dr Visit, Low BP + Low BS + Stage 4 CKD !   extra blood tests ordered = will get full result this Friday  [Little Village Hospital so for extra test blood must go to big Hospital]

Low Red Blood Cell Count !!  appears healthily eating not correct ?  looking on web eat more Red Meat ??  the odd thing is Dr said do not take any more Vitamin B12, yet web shows many different places and Countries to increases Vitamin B12  ??   gets confusing

Dr also told  me to drink a glass of milk a day....  years ago told no dairy products !!

There are very confusing messages about what we should eat to be healthy, and this is especially so for those who have chronic health conditions like diabetes.

All of the research I have done suggests that low-carb is the way to go (for both good general health and especially for those with blood sugar control problems / diabetics). Think keto or carnivore.

And the healthiest food you can eat? Red meat! Yes, it goes against the message that it is the mainstream media but this really does seem to be the healthiest way to eat.

There is a lot of really good information FROM DOCTORS on YouTube. As someone diagnosed diabetic, you might like to check out Dr Ken Berry or Dr Jason Fung or Dr Aseem Malhottra on YouTube as a good place to start.

Edited by mstevens

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

There are very confusing messages about what we should eat to be healthy, and this is especially so for those who have chronic health conditions like diabetes.

All of the research I have done suggests that low-carb is the way to go (for both good general health and especially for those with blood sugar control problems / diabetics). Think keto or carnivore.

And the healthiest food you can eat? Red meat! Yes, it goes against the message that it is the mainstream media but this really does seem to be the healthiest way to eat.

There is a lot of really good information FROM DOCTORS on YouTube. As someone diagnosed diabetic, you might like to check out Dr Ken Berry or Dr Jason Fung or Dr Aseem Malhottra on YouTube as a good place to start.

No need for carnivore or keto unless a real porker, just get control of a healthy diet, self control required which most lack. I'm HCLF, works for me perfectly 

• Like 1