Lost Bike Keys, How can I get the bike started again?

Hi All,

As the title suggests, my girlfriend has misplaced, lost the last bike key, we did have 2 but after she lost the previous one and were down to just the one, a new one wasn't cut.

What are my options here, any advice is appreciated.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Hi All,

As the title suggests, my girlfriend has misplaced, lost the last bike key, we did have 2 but after she lost the previous one and were down to just the one, a new one wasn't cut.

What are my options here, any advice is appreciated.

Try the/a dealer.  Without butchering the bike to also release the steering lock your options are limited.

1 hour ago, truthfix said:

What are my options here,

If you are close to the motorbike shop, get a motorbike taxi to push you and the bike to the shop. Taxi will push you and the bike, placing his foot on your engine, air box etc. 

I had an electrical fault, bike wouldn't start, had to get it to the Mityon for new wiring loom. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

You may have to replace all locks... Surprisingly they are not expensive here. 

Ignition, fuel cap and seat all keyed alike.  Getting the old ones off/out can be a bit difficult but most repair shops seem to have a knack doing it quickly

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

OP, what model of bike is it? There are vast differences in the levels of security.

If we are talking about a basic Wave, Scoopy or the like, your local bike shop should easliy be able to help you - usually just a matter of changing the ignition switch.  Older models sometimes have the key number on the lock - believe it or not.

If you're talking about a more sophisticated model/newer big bike its more of a problem - some switches cannot be ordered alone. Some 'chipped keys' have to be ordered along with a new ECU and a complete lockset.  Some new switches though, can be coded to match the ECU - with the right equipment (rare).

Contact your local bike shop or bike thief.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He said that they lost one key and didn't get a new one cut, now they've lost this key, do you really think it is keyless?

as usual you offer no help, just trolling

Yes, I did, I made a couple of suggestions but, more significantly, it was your comment that was, obviously, of no help whatsoever for the owner of a non-keyless bike!.

• Agree 1

On 4/9/2024 at 4:38 PM, eisfeld said:

I suggest a good search at home. It's not like you can forget the key when somewhere else because you need it to drive the bike home. And if you still manage to forget it while out and about without the bike then why take the key? I've also attached some little accessory to my keys, makes them easier to spot and less likely to lose.

I don't think you read the initial post! To clarify my gf met with friends and went shopping, I did lunch with friends and when met back up she had lost the key so it's not at home! I've always had 2, for such a situation but she didn't get a 2nd key cut after losing the previous one... Hence my now current predicament... Bike is sat in Chalong, had to taxi it home.

9 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Don't need one. A mobile locksmith charged us 600 baht to make a key on the spot by taking an impression 'through the keyhole'.

How do I source a mobile locksmith? Other then walking to garages in the area and asking, which is very time consuming.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:12 PM, PoorSucker said:

Dont you have a guy that makes keys with a motorbike side car near you, he will make a copy on the spot.

Not that I am aware of in Chalong, how would you spot such a guy?