Am seeking the low-down opening a business at Pattaya Beach legally

thesetat

Just now, johng said:

Ok I'll be first to say it...don't even think about getting involved with this "beach water sport family business" unless you have a very trusted and street smart Thai who already has the needed connections at the Police,beach mafia and town hall..if you had that Thai person then you wouldn't need to ask here so...just don't  😋  You can thank me later for the warning after the big kerfuffle,machete fight and hospital visit !!!

Yes, indeed.....🤔

• Agree 1

Dream on unless you have money or contacts, I could hook you up, but won't be cheap. There is a reason why most beaches lack activities, or things missing, you are not having a creative unique idea, it is just the first sentence that is the issue.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Haha 1

I do have to say that although at first appearances such a business might seem lucrative trying to either muscle in to an existing or creating something  novel that will quickly be cloned many times over even if  just to squeeze yours out.

Legally or not the stress versus viability has ,IMO, more chances to fail than succeed.

Backing a Thai venture might do better  but also unlikely to be financially rewarding to  yourself.

But then again he who dares  wins right ? Keep  an eye on the sucker prize !

1 hour ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Backing a Thai venture might do better  but also unlikely to be financially rewarding to  yourself.

i've seen the rewards doing this. It is not viable as the owner can simply change the name and you lose everything. It is too easy to lose an investment this way dealing with backing others. 

Besides. I was seeking specific information. It seems all i am getting are warnings and advice not do try what i am thinking to do. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, thesetat said:

American.. i am able to own 100% of business.

For beach water sports?  Are you sure, which route are you taking for that business category, FBL, BOI or Treaty of Amity?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

For beach water sports?  Are you sure, which route are you taking for that business category, FBL, BOI or Treaty of Amity?

treaty. AS i know it Americans still have the treaty allowing them to own 100% of business in Thailand. 

Never been to Pattaya Beach but as a general guide:

"9 essential tips to start a water sports business"

By Kevin Tjoe — 24 Aug 2023 Rezdy newsletter

Best first if not already to visit Pattya Beach to get a good impression of what type of people visit/live there who enjoy or might enjoy water sports, check with travel agencies and online travel blogs (ie., trip advisor) and videos on water sports for the area.

Personally, I'd say use your experience and knowledge as a foreigner who can bring something unique that maybe even a Thai might not successfully copy.

Just brainstorming, what about a virtual water sport reality experience on the beach? Or go Cayman Island submarine style venture.

18 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Even if you got the business up and running, you would need some kind of work permit even for talking to customers.

And pretty sure that your business model is reserved for Thais only.

Yeah. Before anything find out whether you’re allowed to own such a business. If yes, you’ll need to deal with the work permit if you wish to be engaged in running it. Lastly there are quite a few water related family places in pattaya. Starting a business that may be in conflict with another business with ties to local authorities (bribes) would not receive a warm welcome. Not an issue if you like dramas. 

• Agree 1

Has anyone seen/ met a foreigner/American who has a beach business in Thailand ? I vaguely remember a French man who had a beach in Pattaya about 20 yrs back which was really his girlfriends/ wife.  Otherwise, being a former beach lover ( not in Pattaya!) I have been to many beautiful beaches all over Thailand , if not all, and have never seen a foreign run beach/ activity. 
I think in Phuket there were surf shops that rented their boards out, that’s all.

21 hours ago, thesetat said:

Does anyone have the nitty gritty on the who and what offices I would need to speak to and visit to open a small business outdoors on the beach in Pattaya

City Hall 

Pattaya Nua, opposite Lotus's 

You looking at becoming a beach chair vendor?

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

12 minutes ago, Homburg said:

and if so, how much will that cost?) to manage the BIB, various tax authorities and City Hall.

these are the things i was asking about. In your comment you invariably gave me very little information I am seeking.. Now if only someone can tell me who in BIB is best to talk to.. What office in City Hall I need to go make inquiries, and which tax authorities. 

21 hours ago, thesetat said:

Does anyone have the nitty gritty on the who and what offices I would need to speak to and visit to open a small business outdoors on the beach in Pattaya. IE: Police to speak to, office to obtain permissions, local payoffs, anything that is serious and would aid would be helpful

pretty obvious questions i asked yet you alone invariably gave me some small amount of what I was inquiring about. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Never been to Pattaya Beach but as a general guide:

"9 essential tips to start a water sports business"

By Kevin Tjoe — 24 Aug 2023 Rezdy newsletter

Best first if not already to visit Pattya Beach to get a good impression of what type of people visit/live there who enjoy or might enjoy water sports, check with travel agencies and online travel blogs (ie., trip advisor) and videos on water sports for the area.

Personally, I'd say use your experience and knowledge as a foreigner who can bring something unique that maybe even a Thai might not successfully copy.

Just brainstorming, what about a virtual water sport reality experience on the beach? Or go Cayman Island submarine style venture.

Thanks for the reply. I have no doubt that I could make the business profitable. I also have many contacts in China to gain contracts from travel agencies to make my activity a part of a tour groups. 

I would not personally be operating the business. But i would be managing/monitoring it and am aware of the immigration laws needed for this as well. 

• Haha 1

those who know wouldn't tell you, 

if you're an outsider how much can you 'research' like sit on the beach and observe the power dynamics of the beach vendor on who pays whom and talk to who appears to be the big boss? 

or start hustling and see who shows up and offer to 'clear' things for you

even if you approach someone who say they can sort it for you, how will you not be scammed?