Thailand sweats under intense heat wave; coral bleaching detected

snoop1130

F914253F-5D60-4F02-8237-D199CA151951-1.png

Thailand is experiencing very hot weather across the country today, with the maximum temperature predicted to rise to 43oC in some areas of the northern region, according to the Meteorological Department.

Rain is forecast in the extreme south with isolated heavy showers due to the westerly and north-westerly winds blowing over the Andaman Sea and the southern region, with easterly and south-easterly winds over the southern part of the Gulf.

Maximum temperatures in the northern provinces today are forecast too range from 38oC to 43oC, while the north-eastern region is expected to peak at 41oC.

Caption: File photo

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-04-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Sad 1

Even the waterfalls for my occasional morning showers are not cold like before here in the south. Water that was coming out to be 15-17C right near the top are now definitely above 20C. If not 25C, wouldn’t be surprised. 

The last year almost everyday was a high temperature record, never happened before at this level of acceleration of global temperature rise. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Denim said:

Stand bye for incoming comment :

It's the hot season for heavens sake. Perfectly normal for time of year. Nothing to do with global warming.  Personally  I love this hot weather. The hotter it is the more I like it. Bring on 45 degrees and I will get the wife to stake me out on the lawn . GREAT.

"It's the hot season for heavens sake." Yes, it is. 

"Perfectly normal for time of year." April this year is hotter than the last few years and may end up being one of the hottest.

"Nothing to do with global warming." Maybe. Could just be a strong El Nino but may also global warming.

"Personally  I love this hot weather." .....as long as the beer is cold.

"The hotter it is the more I like it." Change it to she and I agree.

"Bring on 45 degrees and I will get the wife to stake me out on the lawn ." Difficult to get the wife to do anything when it's 45° let alone stake me to the lawn which would be very weird indeed whatever the temperature.

7117d23c7abb08d9d8e34ff8e9abdbf0.jpg

Edited by dinsdale

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Stand bye for incoming comment :

It's the hot season for heavens sake. Perfectly normal for time of year. Nothing to do with global warming.  Personally  I love this hot weather. The hotter it is the more I like it. Bring on 45 degrees and I will get the wife to stake me out on the lawn . GREAT.

Fridge.jpg

• Haha 1

I took these screenshots for my area yesterday (Monday). Today, a day later, it's telling of 42 degrees on day 10. I've spent time on the Arctic Circle and lived in the UK, and given a choice I'd place Thai heat as the worst to deal with. Easier to warm up than cool down.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 162024.png

Screenshot 2024-04-22 162101.png

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Fridge.jpg

The key is humidity. 45 degrees in the desert, you don't even sweat. 45 degrees in the tropics and you're dripping. Desert heat is great. I've been out in over 40 degrees in Australia with a jacket on. Would I do that in Thailand? No way.

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The key is humidity. 45 degrees in the desert, you don't even sweat. 45 degrees in the tropics and you're dripping. Desert heat is great. I've been out in over 40 degrees in Australia with a jacket on. Would I do that in Thailand? No way.

Agreed, humidity here now seems to be hovering around 70%.... sticky

14 hours ago, Gknrd said:

hot and extreme air pollution is a deadly combo.  Got to be miserable.

at least, if you sweat, you might get rid of some toxins

unless you are a sheltered boy and need airco 24/7

April through June always seem to be very hot here but I never remember seeing temperatures like this, in a decade and a half. I'm heading out next month for a month in Europe, should be a nice relief from this heat.