Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare

snoop1130

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

It's an insane policy. Getting an Australian pension overseas is also insane. Apart from this once again this AI article lacks any editing demonstated in the subheading.

It would seem all foreigners no matter what nationality are "beginning to feel a financial strain due to the UK government's pension freeze policy." 

Australian pension policy is simple in that if you do not own a residence in Australia and don't live in Aus but reside in Thailand,  then your Australian pension will be taxed at 35% as un earned income. That totally killed my aspirations. 

13 hours ago, dinsdale said:

It's an insane policy. Getting an Australian pension overseas is also insane. Apart from this once again this AI article lacks any editing demonstated in the subheading.

It would seem all foreigners no matter what nationality are "beginning to feel a financial strain due to the UK government's pension freeze policy." 

Australian pension policy is simple in that if you do not own a residence in Australia and don't live in Aus but reside in Thailand,  then your Australian pension will be taxed at 35% as un earned income. That totally killed my aspirations. 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

John Jones, 77, had enjoyed a lively international lifestyle but now, due to the frozen pension policy, his retirement plans are suffering. Residing in rural Thailand, Jones struggles with a heart condition adding to his financial woes.

He moved here knowing that his only income would be 75GBP per week for the rest of his life, how is that the government's fault?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, csmith said:

UK maximum pension for a single person who paid the full contributions over their working life is 

Baht 20,000 a month

I know … as that is me!

Whilst im not drawing mine yet, information from uk government is that mine will be 33000@ 46 baht/ pound

8 minutes ago, delh said:

I'd paid in the full 35 years, now, im 4 years short of full entitlement. 

There was a time when it was 44 years of contributions. A friend of mine who had been made redundant had made his up with voluntary contributions and when they suddenly dropped it to 30 years he wrote and asked for a refund.

Doesn't take much to guess the reply.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Really?

29 minutes ago, csmith said:

UK maximum pension for a single person who paid the full contributions over their working life is 

Baht 20,000 a month

I know … as that is me!

Mine is forecast at 29,000.

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

it's called  inflation , Brexit did not help , Then Covid  , ,I don't think anyone thought  things

would turn out like this , I am still on 90 quid a week ,good job I don't need it as provided

for myself before retiring at 42 , But I can feel for those relying here on pension only, no

way will we get any relief from the British Government ,too busy looking after immigrants.

regards Worgeordie

Immigrants from outside the EU countries made a net fiscal contribution of about £5.2 billion, thus paying into the system about 3% more than they took out. In contrast, over the same period, natives made an overall negative fiscal contribution of £616.5 billion.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/about-department/fiscal-effects-immigration-uk#:~:text=Immigrants from outside the EU,contribution of £616.5 billion.

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference - not only Thailand where UK State Pension is frozen but also Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam in this part of the World.

My UK State Pension is frozen at 102 GBP per week, the same as 15 years ago! Fortunately I get two indexed linked police pensions in addition.

Full list:

https://www.britishpensions.org.au/archive/frozenindexed.htm

Wow... that's not a lot ...In Ireland  get €299 a week .. includes living alone allowance... 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

I believe you're misinformed. Oz Age Pension is payable in full, according to compliance criteria, whilst living in Thailand.

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Oh William Hague said so did he? Did he mention that many people die before ever receiving their pension, the pension that they and their employers paid for all their working lives? Where do those pension contributions go then? William Hague indeed 😂

Another post based on ignorance. Your occupational pension fund should you die before claiming it will be paid in full to your nominated beneficiary (usually wife) and tax free. Even if you die while receiving it  often 50% of your normal payments will go to your spouse until her demise under most schemes. The state pension which is entirely separate if you die before retirement age will simply not be paid under current rules. There may separately be widows benefits but your pension is exclusive to you.

The real issue is that many more people are living considerably longer than when the actuarial tables were drawn up ,hence the increase in retirement ages. But generally not enough was paid in NI to cover the real costs.

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

I don't, it is hearsay!

It’s not.

I know 2 Brits here in Isaan who were caught and are having to repay overpayment. Worse is that they’ve had their pensions revert to the amount they received when they moved to Thailand.

21 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

If you're caught off guard by this then you are not paying attention. No one but yourself to blame. 

When we moved from the UK to Thailand in 2005 we had no idea of the frozen pension,it wasn't forecast far and wide
 Its only because of the Thaivisa forum that most people are now aware of the situation.

We are lucky we have other means.

The policy of freezing pensions has nothing to do with racism or discrimination.  It's available to UK pensioners in those countries which have signed a double tax agreement with the UK, such as the Philippines.  

For whatever reason, Thailand (and Laos and ...) have not signed such an agreement, probably never even requested such an agreement with the UK.

Therefore, if you want to moan at someone, moan at the Thai government for failing to request a double tax agreement with the UK!

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Stanton681 said:

It’s not.

I know 2 Brits here in Isaan who were caught and are having to repay overpayment. Worse is that they’ve had their pensions revert to the amount they received when they moved to Thailand.

Getting information from a third party is hearsay.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, delh said:

How, exactly, didn't Brexit help?

It certainly didn't help the currency exchange rate, £ dropped like a stone after the vote to leave, it has never recovered to pre Brexit levels.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Oh dear, if you hang around prostitutes, you'll know a soapy massage  costs around £50.

How much would you pay in the UK? 

We learn so much, as members of Asia Now don't we!

:shock1:

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stanton681 said:

This isn’t 3rd party info, these 2 situations are genuine.

Look Stanton I know you mean well and are trying to help but what your friends tell you is not classed as factual evidence, it is classed as hearsay. 

15 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Wow ok 24yrs ago.

Sounds like piss poor planning from those whinging about it now !

Agreeed.

Since it was promulgated by a Labour (Blair) government, I doubt there's much chance of a Labour (Starmer) government repealing it.

So, I am looking forward to having my stab at the "frozen pension whinge" in about ten tears time.

40 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I believe you're misinformed. Oz Age Pension is payable in full, according to compliance criteria, whilst living in Thailand.

I assume he's talking about getting taxed as a non-resident.