Return of Rental Deposit.

37 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Those that preach dont automatically pay the last 2 months rent would leave me to think whats happens if the landlord gets the right hump and I come back from the beach one day to find all my gear in the Condo corridor

Am talking out aloud....Maybe others agree or perhaps not ??

I agree that even if the preacher was a bonified member of the clergy, having worldly goods tossed out windows onto pavement, below, is not beyond comprehension.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

My landlord refused to do a TM30 for me he also refused to give me a copy of his Tabien Baan so I could it, at the end of the day I managed to do one after a lot of hassle, His parting words were you leave in 2 months, ok no problem I will not pay the last 2 months rent as I paid 2 months in advance for a deposit.

Am I within my rights to do this, he is known for not returning renters deposits ?

How much is 2 months rent may ask?  Live there as long as you can before he asks you for the next months rent. Make sure you tell nobody of your intentions and do a fly by night when it suits you. I had to put up with this $hit many years ago. So I bit the bullet and bought a condo, the rent I've saved is more than what I paid for the condo. I have a Thai wife so at least it's hers if I were to pass on before her.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

you should have checked prior to renting whether it was required or not, it's always been an issue with landlords not wanting to do it

Prior to renting this house it wasn’t required providing you returned to the original address, no problem in my previous house, Immigration moving the goal posts, for what, it’s not an additional income for them.

21 minutes ago, amexpat said:

OP, scubascuba3 has said 

you should have

you should have and

you should have. 

Is that helpful?  

your post is not helpful at all.

i read these type of threads all the time on here and facebook where people haven't checked properly in advance various terms

2 hours ago, Chivas said:

Those that preach dont automatically pay the last 2 months rent would leave me to think whats happens if the landlord gets the right hump and I come back from the beach one day to find all my gear in the Condo corridor

Am talking out aloud....Maybe others agree or perhaps not ??

I live in a house, it would take a removal company a couple of days to remove furnishings and, fittings and clothes from the house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

How would I know beforehand, it was only after we moved in and my wife got to know the neighbours we found out.

In other words, you did not do your homework.

Unfortunately, Thailand is a place where foreigners are told what Thais think they want to hear.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

In other words, you did not do your homework.

Unfortunately, Thailand is a place where foreigners are told what Thais think they want to hear.

What home work should I have down, the owner only rents a couple of houses on the Soi not the whole Soi. Should I have gone round knocking on doors 99% Thai people who don’t speak English asking  if they know the owner, if you are not aware Thais keep themselves to themselves.

if I was renting in the U.K. would I go round knocking on neighbours door asking if they knew anything about who owns a particular property ?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

What home work should I have down, the owner only rents a couple of houses on the Soi not the whole Soi. Should I have gone round knocking on doors 99% Thai people who don’t speak English asking  if they know the owner, if you are not aware Thais keep themselves to themselves.

if I was renting in the U.K. would I go round knocking on neighbours door asking if they knew anything about who owns a particular property ?

You said in another post your wife got to know the neighbors. Is she Thai?

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Exactly I had to set a special account up for the deposit in the U.K., no such law exists in Thailand.

In some states in Australia the deposit must be paid quickly into a bank account managed by a government agency. That agency quickly advises the tenant they are holding the deposit.

When the tenant leaves the tenant advises that gov't agency who immediately request a completed form from the landlord.

On arrival, if in order the gov't agency refunds the deposit direct to the tenant.

16 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

My landlord refused to do a TM30 for me he also refused to give me a copy of his Tabien Baan so I could it, at the end of the day I managed to do one after a lot of hassle, His parting words were you leave in 2 months, ok no problem I will not pay the last 2 months rent as I paid 2 months in advance for a deposit.

Am I within my rights to do this, he is known for not returning renters deposits ?

If you won't pay the rent he'll kick you out confiscating your belongings. Good luck🙏

• Agree 1

No, you are not within your rights to do this. 
Pay rent is your contractual obligation. Returning deposit is his obligation. If not, go to court. Self-help by not paying isn't how society works.

Sucks that the landlord is in the position of power. But that's the way it is. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Have you 2 guys ever considered that he got to know that from other tenants after he started to rent?

Give em break , there is no intelligen

14 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Same in WA OZ it is held by some govt. body, but you can still get ripped off, I thoroughly cleaned a house, on leaving it, apparently they had to call in the cleaners as it was 'dirty' behind the toilet bowl. They work on a days pay, ( I still think the agents 'friends' do it ) also you have to pay a professional carpet cleaner, and not allowed to do it yourself with a hired one.   

Don't blame yourself Brian ,your not a cleaner ,your a Scholar ! 

• Haha 2

Not returning a deposit in Thailand is a national pastime.  Before renting need to check landlord out also besides the rental.  Suggest paying the deposit to a third party, like a lawyer's trust account with an agreement in place when the deposit gets returned.  Otherwise my photo says it all.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Stay in a monthly Airbnb while you get all the papers needed and to feel out the landlord at a regular place.

You have the advantage of time. Airbnb's are all over and don't cost much more and there are no deposits. Landlords are under pressure to rent vacant properties.

Let them know you are interested and view the property. Then negotiate the deposit way down to nothing.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Didn´t have to read minds to understand that. However, in the future, I will make an exception for you, so there will be no problem for you following the topics.

words matter, you should use them correctly.

19 minutes ago, patman30 said:

words matter, you should use them correctly.

Yes, and it does seem like other people who read my post understood it perfectly. Yes, words matter, but so does understanding.

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, and it does seem like other people who read my post understood it perfectly. Yes, words matter, but so does understanding.

yes there are quite a few like you on here

5 minutes ago, patman30 said:

yes there are quite a few like you on here

Ok, now you go into defense with that you are right and the world is against you. Hilarious!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Ok, now you go into defense with that you are right and the world is against you. Hilarious!

just go away, i got no time for clowns, get a life.

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

If you won't pay the rent he'll kick you out confiscating your belongings. Good luck🙏

Eventually, the trick is, to leave as close to just before that point...

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

After we moved in.

Perhaps she could have scouted for you before renting.

I do rely on my Thai GF's advice when dealing with other Thais.

Unfortunately, unless you take him to court, there's little chance he will do the right thing. Lawyers are expensive.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps she could have scouted for you before renting.

I do rely on my Thai GF's advice when dealing with other Thais.

Unfortunately, unless you take him to court, there's little chance he will do the right thing. Lawyers are expensive.

How do you go about go about scouting, he owns 4 houses in a block, it was only when tenants  left after we moved we discovered he didn’t return their deposit.