Urban myth or unfortunate fact ?

Yes, it gets violent.

Sounds like a story, but true. Happened at a bar we all frequented. 

A friend snatched a girl in a bar. When he left, he got jumped by the other gang, severely beaten up, thrown into a car and driven to the 'burbs, stripped down to his underwear, and dumped into a dark alley. Clothes and wallet never found. 

• Like 1

I recently got a text message from a Thai acquaintance saying she had to go to Issan to help her mother. She said that her mother's sister and the sister's boyfriend had "killed" her mother. (Google translate best efforts.)

Apparently they beat her and put her in the hospital.

I never had an acquaintance in the US that had this kind of thing among family members.

Not saying it doesn't happen there, but just my experience.

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Court case next month, I'll tell you the result. I'm expecting him to be let off as killing foreigners (for any reason) is ok in Thailand.

God help you if you bump into a Thai, sitting on your beach house steps though.

Stop with your nonsense. How would it be to see reality? What you are referring to, was not his beach steps. They were encroaching on the beach land. Try to read and get the facts, before you dumb out something.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Was a part time bouncer in Amsterdam red light for 9 months, done 11 years of martial arts and 6 years of front row rugby union.

Had about 100 physical arguments, lost 3, ended up in hospital once with a couple of metal plates in my forehead as somebody hit me with a brick unexpectedly. Was very lucky not to die then.

You have had 100 fights?

Is that more than Mike Tyson?

You must go looking for trouble.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Face loss, is the single biggest problem that can happen to a Thai, so yes, avoid any confrontation.

edit: What else I forget to mention, and in particular with a falang, we are nothing to them.

Edited by Peterphuket

Will never forget it, 25 years ago stood with my then girlfriend on the boat to Koh Samui, up on the deck 2 Thai men come up to us to offer a hotel room. As we had already booked something ourselves, we did not want to take advantage of it and my girlfriend tried to make that clear to them but they persisted. Slightly irritated, I started to interfere but my friend pulled me away from them.
Once away from them she made it clear to me not to do that again because of the escalation that might result.
I had learnt my lesson.

• Sad 1

When we lived in the US we hired a handyman to do some work on our house.  The next week he was shot dead by his son.  His son had asked him for some money and he didn't give it to him.

There are places and environments worldwide where violence is often lurking under the surface. If it's perpetrators think that they will get away with it, they will use it.

Try driving a taxi on nights!

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

What a load of nonsense. You weren't killed and you avoid the details on what you did after bumping into his car until you got hit.

The guy didn't bump into the girl but kicked and harassed her, his Thai wife threatened to shoot her, and the beach house steps weren't his as they were on public land.

Twisting stories, telling half-truths, anything to blame Thai people.

I have been involved in a few assaults on guys back in the UK, Mainly for threatening me with violence but never in Thailand probably because as a non drinker I do not frequent bars where back in the UK I did, for various reasons.

I have often pulled up guys in Thailand for queue jumping, but none of them have retaliated in any way probably because I was a big fit looking guy.

I have read lots of times about Thai guys only fighting when the odds are in their favour but never been involved.

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Was a part time bouncer in Amsterdam red light for 9 months, done 11 years of martial arts and 6 years of front row rugby union.

Had about 100 physical arguments, lost 3, ended up in hospital once with a couple of metal plates in my forehead as somebody hit me with a brick unexpectedly. Was very lucky not to die then.

Did they remove the brick, or leave it in situ and wire the pieces together with rebar?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

6 months back a Thai university lecturer tried to kill me because I bumped his car with a plastic bag hanging off my m/c.

My first live in Thai girlfriend admitted she had paid a tuk tuk driver to kill her Swedish husband in a hit and run.

I can assure you the threat of random and excessive violence is always here.

Yep ... especially if money involved.   After I threw the 1st wife out of the house, she got a silly offer to sell, and they asked me to sign off my usufruct.   I said no, since not splitting with me, and would buy me out, for what I spent. Nice break even & I'd be done.

I was looking over my shoulder for a while :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I've had quite the opposite.  My gf keeps pushing me into fights and says ''see he saw you are alien and he walked away''.

One time one of their daughters had a boyfriend and they weren't happy with this.  I didn't know anything about this but later I realized I was just protection for them incase it turned nasty.

Another time an angry Thai got out and walked towards the car.  She wound down the window on my side.

Another time I was told to meet her at the front of my work place.  Apparently she nudged a motorcycle in the slow traffic and the guy wanted money to fix the paint.  So I automatically did the wai and gave him the money.  She said ''why did you wai to him!''.

Yes Thai people are very violent people.  You should walk away from hostility.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Sad 1

Thai are immature and dangerous. Many don't show any brain activity. I usually avoid. I honked once at a truck that tried to kill me with dangerous manouvrr and guy caught up to me at an intersection to fight, but he gave up after he saw I was white.

21 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

an outlaw who lived in the forest

His name was Luigi Vampa. 

I've seen things kick off with Thais plenty of times and was nearly on the receiving end on my second visit.  There's an anger just under the surface which erupts like a volcano over relatively minor things. 

Thankfully the Thais are also receptive to contrition.  I've made mistakes in etiquette and offered genuine apologies. Not only have they been accepted, but the anger disappeared immediately.  People back home hold a grudge, sometimes for years, and no amount of contrition will assuage that rage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

I've had quite the opposite.  My gf keeps pushing me into fights and says ''see he saw you are alien and he walked away''.

One time one of their daughters had a boyfriend and they weren't happy with this.  I didn't know anything about this but later I realized I was just protection for them incase it turned nasty.

Another time an angry Thai got out and walked towards the car.  She wound down the window on my side.

Another time I was told to meet her at the front of my work place.  Apparently she nudged a motorcycle in the slow traffic and the guy wanted money to fix the paint.  So I automatically did the wai and gave him the money.  She said ''why did you wai to him!''.

Yes Thai people are very violent people.  You should walk away from hostility.

I would say there are a lot more cowards in Thailand than violent people, apart from the weapons thing about 95% of Thai guys need backup behind them before there is any attempt at violence on anyone.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, The Cobra said:

Should we always opt to avoid confrontation, or is it worth standing up for ourselves, despite the potential risks involved? Especially nowadays when farangs seem to  have a deportation target on them if involved in any trouble.

I'll always avoid confrontation if possible. I hate pain and broken nose etc. So what if I look like a loser, as long as I'm not in court headed for jail.

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

People back home hold a grudge, sometimes for years, and no amount of contrition will assuage that rage.

Very true. Perhaps it's my Celtic heritage or that I'm a Scorpio, but never forget, never forgive is my motto. I'm waiting to get revenge for things that happened decades ago, but sadly I think I'll cross the great divide before I get satisfaction for past wrongs.

• Haha 1

Christ sake, stay home

After many years in Thailand, or elsewhere, I have an understanding why some poeple always meet trouble wherever they go, and it is not about Thailand or thai culture! 

Never experienced one incident in Thailand for 20 years, and very few any other places

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I am polite and respectful to most people, irrespective of nationality. I tend to avoid association with rough-looking people.

Many years ago, a martial arts instructor taught me the best thing to do in a confrontation is to walk away. Because there is always someone out there who will be faster, stronger, or more skilled.

IME people who go looking for trouble usually find it. I don't.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

His name was Luigi Vampa. 

I've seen things kick off with Thais plenty of times and was nearly on the receiving end on my second visit.  There's an anger just under the surface which erupts like a volcano over relatively minor things. 

Thankfully the Thais are also receptive to contrition.  I've made mistakes in etiquette and offered genuine apologies. Not only have they been accepted, but the anger disappeared immediately.  People back home hold a grudge, sometimes for years, and no amount of contrition will assuage that rage.

A "Count of Monte Cristo" fan, I see. 😄

• Love It 1