Why is Thai service so abysmal

Just fill out a travel advisory online with the bank that issued the credit card.  Shouldn’t be an issue.  I do routinely.

Good service on the other hand is definitely hit or miss.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Maybe you should have. I seem to get okay service, and when I don’t, I don’t get all bent about it. 

Still doesn't answer the question. If you don't care about poor service then you might see a clue as to why it doesn't change. Apathy rules.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Some petty gripes yet you slander all Thais / all of Thailand. Overall I would say the service in Thailand is pretty good - much better than in the UK at least. Of course like everywhere things can be hit and miss but I rarely have service issues here.

My friend's wife just flew from Bangkok to Auckland with their daughter and 80 kgs of luggage. It got lost, and five days later they have not found it. Not only that but after the initial complaint in the airport they said someone would ring her - they never did. Her husband is a gold member but there's no office in Bangkok, he had to call Sydney and spent 35 minutes on hold before getting through to someone who said they are trying to locate the bags and would call his wife to explain. They didn't, they still haven't.

This is Qantas by the way. 

Oh and when I last visited Australia I got served rancid fish and chips and they still charged me. However most other places in Australia I had decent service - just like here.

Think I'll go and make a butt hurt "Why is Australian Service So Abysmal" post because I've has 2-3 bad issues.

Almost all of what you wrote has absolutely no relevance to my asking about service in Thailand. And perhaps you could point out to me where I wrote ALL Thais, as I can't find it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I saw the video too of the Akara Sky Hanuman Bar. I've named it because I'm not afraid and am doing nothing wrong. The bar/restaurant looks like a nice place for sunset drinks and dinner (at a price). Will likely be full of Thai HiSos and Instagrammers and expense account executives. Any place that is cashless doesn't get my business unless I'm desperate for something. Video below.

What a great view of pollution.

Very GOOD Topic.

I have NO insights, particularly.

But, I would like to know.

Specifically, I am curious about the service quality provided by MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS operating in Thailand.

Why can't one get predictable quality of service which is, more or less, the same, no matter where one buys products from the multinational corps.

It seems to me that there is DEFINITELY a difference in after-sales service.

I thought it was just my own imagination, until....

Reading about others who seem to have the same view as mine.

There is really no excuse for a multinational to provide service which is better in one country, compared to a different country.

And then, what recourse does one have when encountering substandard service?

Do you just pick up the phone and call the corps headquarters in .....whichever country the multinational is based?

Trying to do this gets you NADA, in most cases.

• Agree 2

Choose better vendors for better CS.  

I don't find CS in TH any more lacking than other countries, where tipping is not a major part of their salary, unlike the USA, hence the better CS in USA.   Or, last time I was there / USA.

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

It's hard to get good service when when people take no pride in their work.

And by no means confined to Thailand, either, contrary to what the Thai-bashing brigade on here would like us to believe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who wants to use only cash all the time?

I don't know. Not me. 

There is nothing wrong with cash, but if someone only wants to use cash, that obviously brings up the question why?

Why? Because cash has worked everywhere for hundreds of years, and is never prone to IT outages, as has happened twice in recent weeks in my native UK and supermarkets had to refuse sales. That's progress?

Are you in one of those not so legal businesses where all is paid in cash? Are you one of those officials who has millions of cash at home because it can't be seen in your bank account?

No. Are you suggesting I am?

EVERYONE should have a choice of how to pay. You think they shouldn't, that they should be dictated to by a business that is MEANT TO SERVE YOU, not the other way around? I've read of many people, including on this thread, who refuse to use a business that refuses to accept legal tender.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Probably the best way to explain it is to say that a lot of the time "good service" simply doesn't exists as a concept in Thailand, at least not the way we know it.

It's like asking why Thai people don't know where your house is, or what your Grandfather did for a living.  They simply aren't familiar with it.

You ordered the food, it came, you ate it.  They didn't cause you to lose face.  They didn't do anything that they believed would have negative consequences for them.  They didn't disrespect you (in their eyes).  So it's all good.

You're talking about people who would rather lie that something is delayed, than tell you it is unavailable, because that might make you get mad at them, even though you wouldn't, and now you are mad because of the delay.  But in their culture, you're not meant to show that you're mad anyway.

It all makes sense to them.  Try not to expect it to make sense to us.

This is the answer.  Great, insightful, post.  Should be pinned!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Because you get what you pay for and there is no such thing as a free lunch.

What would the meals have cost in a more affulent country in a similar establishment?

Did you "save money" dining in Bangkok and somehow get over on something by paying less? No, you got what you paid for.

Corners and quality of goods and services were cut somewhere, whether you realize it or not. Sometimes you just don't see it, other times it becomes obvious.

Edited by JimTripper

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A new rooftop bar opened in Bangkok last month, 61 floors up in Bangkok's tallest office building. Of course, I can't name it because I could end up in a cell. I saw a YouTube video of the place and it looks great, Thai-themed. I thought I might visit when I'm in Bangkok next week, but they do not accept cash. Cash has worked all over the world for hundreds of years, but progress means it is no longer good enough in an increasing number of places.

So I was curious what would happen if a foreign credit card (mine) was refused (as I haven't used it except for on-line bookings since it was renewed). I'm certain I am not the only one who could be embarrassed, and it could be especially damaging if someone was hosting business colleagues.

I wrote to the contact address on their website and it was returned as not found. That website also shows the place open from 6AM to 2am. On the second time of calling them they answered the phone and couldn't answer my question. They said they would ask the manager and call me back. They didn't. This classes itself as a top-class, five-star business, and they have absolutely no clue how to respond to customers. Or are too arrogant to care.

Another time, I went for lunch with my wife and her brother. He and I both ordered the same dish. One arrived. I let him go first, and he finished his before mine arrived. When my wife asked why they had been delivered so far apart the waitress burst into tears like a five-year-old. There have been many other instances, such as my ordering roast chicken and it was delivered stone-cold, straight out of the fridge. In this case, it was a western-run pub - Scruffy Murphy's - and the farang manager replaced it, didn't charge for it and gave my sister and I a free Irish coffee. In a Thai-run place I'd have probably got a shrug of the shoulders and maybe a 'sorry, sir'.

You “thought about visiting”, called the bar with a hypothetical question and noone bothered to answer you, so you concluded that they are ignorant or arrogant.  How about the option that they do not have the time to answer nonsensical questions?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't know. Not me. 

Why? Because cash has worked everywhere for hundreds of years, and is never prone to IT outages, as has happened twice in recent weeks in my native UK and supermarkets had to refuse sales. That's progress?

No. Are you suggesting I am?

EVERYONE should have a choice of how to pay. You think they shouldn't, that they should be dictated to by a business that is MEANT TO SERVE YOU, not the other way around? I've read of many people, including on this thread, who refuse to use a business that refuses to accept legal tender.

Refuse that business if you want to refuse it.

I am sure that whoever made the decision of no cash thought about the possibility that some people will not go there because they only want to pay in cash.

And then the owner or manager probably decided that they can survive without that 1% who only want to pay cash.

There are lots of advantages for business to do cashless business only. They made that decision.

As I wrote above, I am not against cash, I have cash and credit cards in my wallet and banking apps on my phone. At any time, I can decide what I like to use. It's nice to have options and be flexible.