Thailand probes wealthy foreigners for money laundering scheme

webfact

14 minutes ago, freeworld said:

And if the applicant is given the all clear and then comes to Thailand and commits crime? Would that help?

Banks should be regulated to do more rigorous KYC checks on who they do business with and the nature and legality of the business trading and any suspicious activity should be reported.

The fact that even tourists and non real resident can open bank accounts in Thailand should be dealt with.

Check the offshore leaks database, one will find many addresses linked to Thailand.

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/

26 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Build up your assets. 

Then we will come and investigate and take everything.  Thank you for coming. 

This is looking to be the case.

Like i mentioned above.

1) Criminal checks carried out -cleared.

Therefore you can't have 'laundering' as the funds are not 'illicit' as you are not a criminal.

Thailand of-course will meander around this.

• Confused 4

29 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

We all know this is yet another money making scam... 

Hello rich people, come to Thailand under our Privilege Scheme.  Stay a while.  Build up your assets. 

Next year we will launch a new Elite Privilege Scheme.  Same same but different. 

I am not surprised. 

just look at the visa extension crowds at any IMMIG office daily at 1900 a pop.........cha ching!.....just to buy another 30 days

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

never having to deal with immigration routinely again in such a slow/archaic manner in which they deal with extensions etc 

Archaic maybe but slow? takes me 2 hours for a Marriage visa/extension, and 1hr for retirement. 1,900 baht a year.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Archaic maybe but slow? takes me 2 hours for a Marriage visa/extension, and 1hr for retirement. 1,900 baht a year.

Takes me 20 more years to get retirement visa.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

We all know this is yet another money making scam... 

Hello rich people, come to Thailand under our Privilege Scheme.  Stay a while.  Build up your assets. 

Next year we will launch a new Elite Privilege Scheme.  Same same but different. 

I am not surprised. 

How do we all know then? So nothing to do with them being involved in call center scams, forget that, it must be cause of some made up fantasy in your head

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I might be mistaken, but I thought I read on AN that people with the LTR have an exemption from the overseas income tax. I don't know if Thai Privilege does or not. Either way, that's where the big money is, not with the little guys putting up 800,000 for a retirement extension. PTP is desperate for money. They'll find a way to come after LTR as well. These "probes" into money laundering are the thin end of the wedge.

This investigation is carried out by CIB and is of a criminal nature. It has nothing to do with tax collection. They will simply confiscate the funds and deport the culprits, unless of course the right people get a sizeable cut. This will not change anything for law abiding Elite holders. And I can confirm that they don't benefit from any tax exemption. Even though I suspect that most of them won't care as they will simply limit the number of days they'll spend in the country.

Wether the RD 743 will be rescinded or not is a totally different matter. Since I don't want to deprive you from your schadenfreude I'll say that it could happen, or they may just close the LTR program and let existing visas run out. The latter seems more likely to me especially in light of a recent warning from BOI regarding the maintenance of credentials.

• Like 1