Bad News For Weed Shops: Potent Cannabis Poses Mental Health Risks

webfact

1 minute ago, Spock said:

I'm 71 and used it everyday since I was about 20 without any health problems. Same applies to my friends. 

How do you know? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

People didn't start smoking weed when they legalised it, they were already smoking, concern about the health issues that's a bit hypocritical considered the air quality in parts of Thailand which the Government refuse to fix the problem but thats ok stop the weed, Amazing Thailand 

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

Like alcohol, thc affects different people in different ways so to say that cannabis is damaging is true (look up cannabis psychosis).

https://everybrainmatters.org/thc-psychosis-and-violence/

For every bob marley (who did great work under the influence), there are many more who smoked their lives away at best and quite a few who hear voices and will stab you if you look at them 'wrong'.

Having saif that, cash rules in thailand so I'd guess the alcohol lobby is probably behind this (late) gambit.

Edited by BigBruv
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, UWEB said:

Both are drugs, but better stoned then drunken. If Putin and Zelensky have had a nice Joint for sure there wouldn't be a war.

I can't see any connection 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I guess it's better than <deleted>ty pot and getting a headache.

Either way, get the conservatives out of politics.  It's the only way Thailand will move beyond the stone age.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

When people criticise dope calling it a psychotropic drug then these people are uneducated to the facts. Education is a good thing but when pointed out it's responded to with negative comments. There is and I'll say it again there is no scientic evidence that dope should be reclassified as a type5 narcotic and hence recriminalised. It's political and it's Thaksin.

There definitely are psychotropic effects to cannabis consumption and you can look them up easily.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, proton said:

Three old friends who kept it up daily all their adult life's are long dead, all with brain hemorrhages.

Glad you said that as it exposes the utter ignorance of some of those who oppose cannabis. Do you not understand how utterly pointless anecdotal evidence like this is?

One of the main issues surrounding marijuana use is the enormous lack of verifiable, peer reviewed evidence and a huge fog of nape-of-the-neck useless anecdotal rubbish promulgated as "fact".

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Reports from hospitals and emergency wards across Thailand paint a concerning picture, corroborated by decades of rigorous scientific research. Studies from respected institutions like the National Institute on Drug Abuse and The Lancet Psychiatry leave little room for doubt.

I suspect the OP has read none of this as it doesn't support their views in any way.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

corroborated by decades of rigorous scientific research

this is just nonsense! - one of the main characteristics of research on cannabis is that there is vey little done  compared to alcohol. Dut due to past legal restrictions, it lags way behind alcohol research. The long-term effects, particularly on developing brains, are still very much unestablished, yet people try to present it as fact.

Part of the problem is illustrated by the way the authorities concentrate of the EFFECTS of the drug rather that on the effects of legalising the drug.

Edited by kwilco
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

When people criticise dope calling it a psychotropic drug then these people are uneducated to the facts. Education is a good thing but when pointed out it's responded to with negative comments. There is and I'll say it again there is no scientic evidence that dope should be reclassified as a type5 narcotic and hence recriminalised. It's political and it's Thaksin.

International Narcotics Control Board:
List of Psychotropic Substances under International Control
In accordance with the Convention on Psychotropic Substances of 1971

Page 7, PT 002 TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL

https://www.incb.org/documents/Psychotropics/forms/greenlist/2022/Green_List_E.pdf

• Confused 1

Stoner hasn't even chimed in on this latest steaming pile of anecdotal conjecture posing as news. Maybe after he has a few more bong hits he'll drop his two buds in. 

I think people should get to know what "psychotropic" - means A drug or other substance that affects how the brain works and causes changes in mood, awareness, thoughts, feelings, or behavior. Examples of psychotropic substances include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, and certain pain medicines.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

Everyone agrees the taking of cannabis can cause health problems but so do other “drugs” like tobacco and alcohol so why are they not being classified as a scheduled narcotics ?

It's like blaming alcoholism on beer!

There are weak beers and strong spirits, and strong spirits lead to alcoholism, so let's just ban all alcohol (Especially that gut rot stuff you get "Ooop North" called "lao khoa" - it's lethal!)

A work colleague of mine joined the Police Force in the UK and the "expert" giving the cadets a lecture on drugs said "The chances are that anybody who smokes marijuana will eventually become a heroin addict" And these pearls of wisdom from a supposed expert! That's why I take any comments re marijuana and its side effects from so called "experts" with a pinch of salt!

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

How many people are killed by Weed versus Alcohol?

If the number of people killed by Weed is a major concern for the MOH, he should consider labelling Alcohol as a Class #1 Drug.

• Thanks 1

Believe me, I have been boozing hard every weekend before weed became legal in Thailand. I smoke weed in the weekend now instead of boozing and my mental health is way better. Alcohol sucks big time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

International Narcotics Control Board:
List of Psychotropic Substances under International Control
In accordance with the Convention on Psychotropic Substances of 1971

Page 7, PT 002 TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL

https://www.incb.org/documents/Psychotropics/forms/greenlist/2022/Green_List_E.pdf

Marijuana is a mind-altering (psychoactive) drug, produced by the Cannabis sativa plant. Marijuana has over 480 constituents. THC (delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol) is believed to be the main ingredient that produces the psychoactive effect

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2020-06/Marijuana-Cannabis-2020_0.pdf

3 hours ago, cowellandrew said:

Because its difficult to smoke alcohol!

😁🐒

Are you saying you don't marinade your spliff in alcohol before you smoke it😄

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2024 at 4:00 PM, kwilco said:

I think people should get to know what "psychotropic" - means A drug or other substance that affects how the brain works and causes changes in mood, awareness, thoughts, feelings, or behavior. Examples of psychotropic substances include alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, and certain pain medicines.

Nup. This is psychoactive.

Psychoactive drugs are substances that, when taken in or administered into one's system, affect mental processes, e.g. perception, consciousness, cognition or mood and emotions. Psychoactive drugs belong to a broader category of psychoactive substances that include also alcohol and nicotine.

https://www.who.int/health-topics/drugs-psychoactive#:~:text=Psychoactive drugs are substances that,include also alcohol and nicotine.

On 5/14/2024 at 5:09 PM, dinsdale said:

Nup. This is psychoactive.

Psychoactive drugs are substances that, when taken in or administered into one's system, affect mental processes, e.g. perception, consciousness, cognition or mood and emotions. Psychoactive drugs belong to a broader category of psychoactive substances that include also alcohol and nicotine.

https://www.who.int/health-topics/drugs-psychoactive#:~:text=Psychoactive drugs are substances that,include also alcohol and nicotine.

Very silly reply - you are a one quote wonder - you don't even realise that a drug can fall into more than one category.

Both psychoactive and psychotropic are terms used to describe substances that affect the brain, but there's a subtle difference between them.

Psychoactive is the broader term. It refers to any substance that can cross the blood-brain barrier and influence the way the brain works. This can lead to changes in mood, perception, behavior, or cognitive function. Examples of psychoactive substances include caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, marijuana, and many medications.

Psychotropic, on the other hand, specifically refers to substances that alter mental state. This means they have a more significant impact on how you think, feel, and behave. Antidepressants, antipsychotics, and mood stabilizers are all psychotropic drugs.

Here's an analogy to understand the difference:

Think of psychoactive like a category in a store. Everything on the shelf affects you in some way.

Psychotropic is a subcategory within that section. These are the items that have a more dramatic effect.

So, all psychotropic substances are psychoactive, but not all psychoactive substances are psychotropic.

However, what is the point you are trying to make? (apart from the fact you don't understand the topic)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Very silly reply - you are a one quote wonder - you don't even realise that a drug can fall into more than one category.

Both psychoactive and psychotropic are terms used to describe substances that affect the brain, but there's a subtle difference between them.

Psychoactive is the broader term. It refers to any substance that can cross the blood-brain barrier and influence the way the brain works. This can lead to changes in mood, perception, behavior, or cognitive function. Examples of psychoactive substances include caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, marijuana, and many medications.

Psychotropic, on the other hand, specifically refers to substances that alter mental state. This means they have a more significant impact on how you think, feel, and behave. Antidepressants, antipsychotics, and mood stabilizers are all psychotropic drugs.

Here's an analogy to understand the difference:

Think of psychoactive like a category in a store. Everything on the shelf affects you in some way.

Psychotropic is a subcategory within that section. These are the items that have a more dramatic effect.

So, all psychotropic substances are psychoactive, but not all psychoactive substances are psychotropic.

However, what is the point you are trying to make? (apart from the fact you don't understand the topic)

Maybe you should read the link I attatched above from the DEA. If you didn't read it here it is again.

If that's not enough here's what wiki says:

Cannabis,[a] also known as marijuana[b] or weed among other names, is a psychoactive drug from the cannabis plant. Native to Central or South Asia, the cannabis plant has been used as a drug for both recreational and entheogenic purposes and in various traditional medicines for centuries. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive component of cannabis, which is one of the 483 known compounds in the plant, including at least 65 other cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol (CBD). Cannabis can be used by smoking, vaporizing, within food, or as an extract.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

It would appear that dope is classified as a psycoactive drug.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

When someone has an agenda the first thing they start to say are things like “we’re here to save you”. But you is the last thing they care about. 

Apply above to every situation in politics and you be on the right side everytime 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, rvdk said:

Believe me, I have been boozing hard every weekend before weed became legal in Thailand. I smoke weed in the weekend now instead of boozing and my mental health is way better. Alcohol sucks big time.

You need to up those numbers. Those are rookie numbers 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Maybe you should read the link I attatched above from the DEA. If you didn't read it here it is again.

If that's not enough here's what wiki says:

Cannabis,[a] also known as marijuana[b] or weed among other names, is a psychoactive drug from the cannabis plant. Native to Central or South Asia, the cannabis plant has been used as a drug for both recreational and entheogenic purposes and in various traditional medicines for centuries. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive component of cannabis, which is one of the 483 known compounds in the plant, including at least 65 other cannabinoids, such as cannabidiol (CBD). Cannabis can be used by smoking, vaporizing, within food, or as an extract.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

It would appear that dope is classified as a psycoactive drug.

As I said already you are a one quote wonder and can't even understand the quotes you pick (or rather cherry pick)  it's really difficult holding a meaningful discussion with someone who is so intellectually stunted 

Edited by kwilco
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Marijuana is a mind-altering (psychoactive) drug, produced by the Cannabis sativa plant. Marijuana has over 480 constituents. THC (delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol) is believed to be the main ingredient that produces the psychoactive effect

There are varying uses of terminology according to sources (kind of like how people interchangeably use "social network" and "social media" when they are not exactly the same thing): if we are to be specific and accurate, the fact is that THC is a psychoactive substance which produces psychotropic effects (unlike CBD which is a psychoactive substance which does not produce psychotropic effects).

In conclusion, it should be known that many cannabinoids are psychoactive, but not all of them produce psychotropic effects. This is why THC is differentiated as it is a psychoactive cannabinoid producing psychotropic effects, by altering the sensorial perception and motor abilities.

https://www.kalapa-clinic.com/en/understanding-cannabinoids-psychoactive-and-psychotropic-effects/#:~:text=In conclusion%2C it should be,sensorial perception and motor abilities.

This is important because CBD is psychoactive, since it crosses your blood-brain barrier. For any substance to have an effect, it has to be absorbed into the bloodstream, and CBD does just that. However, it doesn't get you high like THC does, so CBD is not psychotropic.

https://beyoucbd.co.uk/pages/cbd-and-the-difference-between-psychotropic-and-psychoactive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spock said:

I'm 71 and used it everyday since I was about 20 without any health problems. Same applies to my friends. 

totally invalid anecdotal nonsense. I disagree with making cannabis illegal but I wouldn't resort to arguments as stupid as that. Maybe you were stoned at the time?

THe problem with the debate about cannabis is that both those "for" and "against" are so intellectually stunted as to render any discussion pointless.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

As I said already you are a one quote wonder and can't even understand the quotes you pick (or rather cherry pick)  it's really difficult holding a meaningful discussion with someone who is so intellectually stunted 

You've got some front.......................😂

• Agree 1