Just what is life like in Rural Thailand- ever wondered ?

22 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I think I would get bored pretty quick if I was staying in someone else's house. Having my own house has its benefits. 

I have a condo, not interested in owning a house.

You only own your house in Thailand. You don't own the land it sits on.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have a condo, not interested in owning a house.

You only own your house in Thailand. You don't own the land it sits on.

Get you and understand where you are coming from. My case is a bit different as I own both the land and the house. I might have done things differently if wasn't possible for me. 

13 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

is that because the of the people misbehaving or just because of lack of modern living?

Lack of modern living .....people are no problem here,,,very...too idyllic 

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

The only difference being that in Bangkok I would have a social circle

That is the key....just being able to walk out, have a beer, go to a restaurant, shops.....!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

it should be noted that it does take a physical toll on the body

as does everything else... bodies deteriorate sitting in a chair too... I think you are better off for the activity. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:15 PM, CharlieH said:

If you live in rural Thailand, tell us your thoughts, how does your life differ from this ?

In absolutely all aspects of life.

You get what you pay for and as life is cheaper in the rural areas save enough money to have the odd excursion to a city .Just purchased very large ,over 1 rai,land in rural area for 850k whereas smaller land plot next to my house in Pathum Thani sold for several million 

7 minutes ago, ian carman said:

You get what you pay for and as life is cheaper in the rural areas save enough money to have the odd excursion to a city .Just purchased very large ,over 1 rai,land in rural area for 850k whereas smaller land plot next to my house in Pathum Thani sold for several million 

And 850k for rural land is expensive, all depending on chanote, road access, elecricity, distance to center of village and district capital.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

And 850k for rural land is expensive, all depending on chanote, road access, elecricity, distance to center of village and district capital.

There was a slightly larger plot but more rural for 1.6 million so I made a judgement that it was a good price .Only 5 minutes drive from the main road to udon Thani and the neighbors are all professional workers 

On 5/16/2024 at 9:07 AM, NoshowJones said:

"Theft of fish and crops, stealing wood, illegal hunting," Yes that probably goes on, but I don't hear about it. 

I have met a few foreigners who invested big, and do not do as local, sleep on the farmland when there is fish or crops ready to be harvested. Or more useal, investing in a family to be self sufficent, and they never had anything from before, or never had responsibility or the drive to to something for themselves. They often fail, claim they get robbed, pests atacks, and more. 

One I met, told me he invested in a large full scale fishing pond, used millions, just to be left with an empty pond each time they got some decent sized fish ready to sell. Why? Because he did not understand the family was not capable to run and protect what was theirs, be it lack of respect in the community, afraid of ghosts (a serious problem for many), or maybe sold the fish, and said it was stolen. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I have seen a few of this guys posts, like most Thai vloggers with few exceptions boring, predictable and uninteresting. This is my favorite at least he has a sense of humor, not quite rural but not in CM itself, Johnny Velvet, you might have to be a Brit ti find him funny, oh he's very rich and does not like plebs!

Edited by proton
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The serene country lifestyle can be had minutes from basically any large city. A little honesty from the folks who live there will tell you they settled there because that's where the little lady calls home.

Isn't that a good cause? No reason to move to a rural place if no lady. Family is a great value for us, and gives us alot of freedom, but I understand there is many who do not have the same feeling or experience. 

If I didnt meet my wife 8 years ago, I most likely not been in Thailand anymore. 15 years travelling there was enough, and I already decided this was it, and had other plans

So if it was not for the ladies, who would have been living in Thailand? Same same

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

You don't have to go stone age to live upcountry, I have lived in Phetchabun for 20 years. and we have all modern equipment, a perfect medium-sized single level 3 bed house, access to decent lotus, Big C and Makro, etc., all within a 15-minute drive. No railway, No flights airport. and the only way to get here is by bus or car. We live in a housing estate, not in the village mainly the reason is being built in the village you will never be able to sell should you want to leave and falling out with people in the village will make things difficult. Never live with or near her family, put at least 25 kilometres between you and them plus don't try and go native, it isn't what your woman wanted that's why she left in the first place, even if she says she is now happy because you are with her. When times go slow or you have to reduce money outgoings, it will become harder for you and any kids. Going anywhere else in Thailand makes it an adventure and a reason for a holiday. But, life is good, the people are good, and all legal paperwork needs are easy, if you listen, read, and ask.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

Isn't that a good cause? No reason to move to a rural place if no lady. Family is a great value for us, and gives us alot of freedom, but I understand there is many who do not have the same feeling or experience. 

If I didnt meet my wife 8 years ago, I most likely not been in Thailand anymore. 15 years travelling there was enough, and I already decided this was it, and had other plans

So if it was not for the ladies, who would have been living in Thailand? Same same

My point being the foreigners living in rural Isaan picked that location because their lady is from that village in rural Isaan. Been there, done that. I packed up the truck and moved 700+km away 7 yrs ago. Started over in a place of my choosing.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 1:13 PM, SamuiAddict said:

When I first started coming to Thailand about 6-7 years ago, I fell in love with Samui and ended up living there for 5 years, got married etc etc

Unfortunately I've developed pretty serious epilepsy and the regular seizures really scare and upset my wife.  She begged me to move to her home where we can get some help when things go bad.  So we did just that.

Since we've been here I've done a lot of modernising to the home including hot water, proper kitchen, proper furniture, sofas, beds etc - and the house is very comfortable.  We don't have power cuts but the water does seem to go off regularly which is weird.

We're not right out in the sticks, we've got a 7/11 at the end of the road and a small town about 10km away.  It is big rice farming country, so loads of massive trucks, tractors, weird motorbike trailer things, big harvesters etc.  Community is very close and everyone very friendly. 

I am literally the only farang around and at times its almost like being a bit of a celeb, people have asked for selfies and all sorts, quite strange.  But I've also made a lot of connections and nice to drive around with most people giving you a wave or saying hello.

The only thing I really HATE about living here is the fkin music!  Everyone seems to have huge sound systems, some in their homes, some mounted on trucks etc and it seems like the louder and more powerful it is the more people will be impressed.  Even the temples play music from 5am sometimes.  On the days where someone is becoming a monk the bass can shake your windows and there's frick all you can do about it because they get written permission beforehand.  Supposed to remember Kreng Jai - but fook me is it infuriating at times.  I had to invest in a good pair of noise cancelling headphones haha.  Its not everyday either but on the days that people are celebrating something it can be very noisy.  And there seems to be a lot of celebrating going on haha

But apart from that I really love living here.  Cheap, slow pace of life, friendly, good natural fishing, lots of family etc.  I've also been  feeding the dogs round here and made a name for myself as "that farange who comes and feeds the dogs" haha.  So be it!

Can only agree about the music. But over the last  15 years it has decreased in terms of frequency and duration IMO.

I put it down to a combination of decreasing  tolerance and decreasing age group that enjoys it....related in an ironic sense.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Can only agree about the music. But over the last  15 years it has decreased in terms of frequency and duration IMO.

I put it down to a combination of decreasing  tolerance and decreasing age group that enjoys it....related in an ironic sense.

Aging populations in villages has played a big role. When I was having a loud music problem with some neighbors about 10 years ago, I canvassed Thai people all over my amphoe about their attitudes towards people playing loud music. One interesting theme that emerged was that people who played loud music were often perceived unfavorably as alcohol and drug users. I suspect that when this perception started to gain traction, some drug users turned down the volume because they didn't want to attract unwanted attention from the police. The concept that loud music can annoy people has been slow to sink in, and noise complaints were often perceived as infringements on their personal freedom by control freaks, especially if they were foreigners, but that has gradually changed over the years. When loud music is cited on the forum as a reason for not wanting to live in a village I have to wonder if people are basing this on experiences they had 10-20 years ago.

At heart, I think Thais are pretty considerate, and with the right approach, loud music issues can be managed. In fairness to some young Thai men who like to crank up the volume, some of them don't own cars or pickups so they don't have the luxury of getting their fix of loud music while cruising down the road in the privacy of their car (like most of us can.) That leaves them with the only option of cranking up the home stereo which has more of a potential for causing friction with neighbors.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

At heart, I think Thais are pretty considerate, and with the right approach, loud music issues can be managed.

Not in my case. The culprit was my wife's nephew and she refused to do anything about it. We ended up leaving the village, much to her displeasure, to escape the noise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2024 at 1:53 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's years ago, that I was up country. And whenever I am there, visiting the girlfriend's family, latest after an hour I like to get away again.

And the problem is not that specific family. It's just life up country. I know some people like it, but for many of us it is just no fun at all. 

I don't feel comfortable in anyone else's home for more than an hour even in the UK.

Only exception is my mother's place which is 4 bedroomed and I have my own room and television. 

I don't see what motivates this legion of Thailand vloggers  ?

Fame ? Money ? An endless procession of people sharing their lives. Do expats in Spain do this too ? If so must be tens of thousands of them.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 5:39 PM, fondue zoo said:

just a pair of typical Thai farm girls I'd say..

In the 12 years I have lived in Issan, I have never seen a "farm girl" wear cut-offs and halter tops.