He became "jaded" after tipping

Posted (edited)

How does one define the word "jaded "

I describe it as becoming bitter but as I sit here on a sunbed in the rain I'm thinking of the poem a sunburnt country I think by Banjo Patterson ...but please let me get on with the story ! 

A farang last night told me for weeks yes we weeks not months not years but weeks...he had been going to the same group of motorbike taxi drivers outside his Condo building and using their services , apparently the fare was around 60 b and he gave them 100 a effective distinction of 40 baht tip .

Now come yesterday and please I'm not 100 per cent sure of the exact time so please don't quote me ...that he walked to the motorbike taxi stand and had a 1000 baht note or 40 baht , he apparently or should we be legal and say ... allegedly....asked the SAME group if they would take him for 40 baht as he would have to change the 1000 baht !

To put it point blankly ( if there is such a word !) they refused 

Leaving this belated bitter man to walk to a 711 to change it 

Now please I don't know why he couldn't of changed it on the way ....but....but ....he no longer tips , he has become jaded they don't REMEMBER, you understand....they didn't remember his kindness ,his devotion and his love 💕 for them

And PLEASE may I ...may I quote many who say they went to a particular bar and DID NOT once tip as this "jaded " situation that they never received the service they normally got? Would that be fair to say in front of a jury ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many of the lower socio-economic-educational demographic see consideration and politeness as weakness.

Its not that they don't remember him (the 'big tipper') - its that he failed to treat the motorcycle taxi's with a mildly polite indifference (just as Thais would) and they now see him as weak and have no respect for him.

Many expats here don't know the game when playing with those on the lower rungs of the Thai status totem-pole ' (for want of a better description)... they don't see the world the way way we do or the same way Thai's higher up the totem-pole do....

Its difficult to generalise, however many of these 'types' are uneducated formally and socially, and, especially in area's of high tourist footfall value very little in terms of 'community spirit'.

If the same guy goes back tomorrow any pays the exact 60 baht fare - they'll likely not notice. 

Excellent point you make 

One must consider and PLEASE give me your expert opinions when I ask .......

Do some cultures see KINDNESS as a WEAKNESS??

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

simple solution - no more tips. 

Yes a simple solution...BUT ...what if someone may DESERVE a tip ?

And ...that's another story on how one may deserve a tip and perhaps someone could spend a few hours writing a analysis of how one may deserve a tip or should we say "extra & over " the quoted price...but should we lump everyone I to one basket and say No more tipping ever!

The point or logic  is...we must define who we must tip.... example is...if you are a bar regular you must ..yes I said the word MUST or should I use the word EXPECTED..to tip !!!!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Was he American? they love tipping, they tip everything. They probably thought he was a tool for the 40 baht tip on a 60 baht fare

Yes he was American 😂but a lovely young man...but he became jaded 

I did try to read the poem by Banjo Patterson but he had to leave 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

here we are back to the tipping post..same poster--same topic.....

as im riding my bike around city daily I see this old guy sitting outside his shop...farang..old--looks rough..

and he has his laptop out....every day.....sitting at the table.......and i immed wonder if it is one of the GG's.....

also see the grandpas sitting at their wifes shop etc,,,,same chair..same table..same time..day in day out........smh

a daily reminder to keep pedaling and escape that fate.....like it seems many here have fallen to...(heads out to join life)

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

as im riding my bike around city daily I see this old guy sitting outside his shop...farang..old--looks rough..

and he has his laptop out....every day.....sitting at the table.......and i immed wonder if it is one of the GG's.....

also see the grandpas sitting at their wifes shop etc,,,,same chair..same table..same time..day in day out........smh

a daily reminder to keep pedaling and escape that fate.....like it seems many here have fallen to...(heads out to join life)

But your not !

You stopped pedalling your one wrinkled bum cheeks to write on here !

Your sitting your old big fat backside writing on here GrandDad 

Keep pedalling Dad  and leave this forum alone !

Keep pedalling and get off ya big fat behind and leave it to the advert clickers ,you buy nothing 

What makes you think I have grey hair

,I just spent 2 hours in Tony's Gym Granddad with 250 mg testereone 

I bet you look like a skinny   old man all sun weathered and dry wrinkled old skin and you talking about other old men ,GrandDad , unbelievable 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

He could start using Bolt, he can pay by Card there (if he wants) so his problem would be solved. Beside that his rides would probably be cheaper. 

Posted (edited)

He could ride a bike like old Smelly Sticky balls ,have tight skinny bum cheeks and no seat with a paid Thai wife and as he rides pat with his wrinkled old skin say look at those old men on their laptops as I'm sitting up & down on my booom !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, CHdiver said:

He could start using Bolt, he can pay by Card there (if he wants) so his problem would be solved. Beside that his rides would probably be cheaper. 

Not always - in some area's BOLT / GRAB moto-taxi will not accept the ride because they are scared they'll be attacked by the local win-rider hoodlams... 

This happened to me in Bangkok, years ago... I called a Grab Bike - rider turned up, then told me he'll drop me off round the corner as he doesn't want to pass the Moto-Taxi's with me on the back, he was worried about being attacked...  There are plenty of stories of similar. 

Anyway - the Ops 'friend' is likely already being ripped off being charged 60 baht for a 30-40 baht ride...   so he's already highlighted that he can be taken for a mug... and tipping on top of that makes it worse...    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

The post is not about tipping.  Tipping just happened to be one detail.  The post is about the motorcycle taxis drivers not remembering the tips and letting the guy off 20 baht for a trip.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Now please I don't know why he couldn't of changed it on the way ....but....but ....he no longer tips , he has become jaded they don't REMEMBER, you understand....they didn't remember his kindness ,his devotion and his love 💕 for them

I don't think that is being jaded.  He was generous to them many times and when he asked them to be generous to him, they refused.

All that happened was that he wised up to the fact that his generosity was not truly appreciated and they did not do the same to him when he was in need.  Having realised the taxi riders' true natures, he modified his behaviour, which seems sensible.

• Agree 2

I live pretty close to a 7 11. You always gotta have exact change in Thailand. Else u get robbed. I have one item I can buy in 7 11 that I actually need and will use and so when I have. 1000 baht I just buy that item. 

it’s a simple system really. But u gotta have almost exact change on you at all times. It’s a tough world out there 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I describe it as becoming bitter but as I sit here on a sunbed in the rain I'm thinking of the poem a sunburnt country I think by Banjo Patterson ...but please let me get on with the story ! 

A farang last night told me for weeks yes we weeks not months not years but weeks...he had been going to the same group of motorbike taxi drivers outside his Condo building and using their services , apparently the fare was around 60 b and he gave them 100 a effective distinction of 40 baht tip .

Now come yesterday and please I'm not 100 per cent sure of the exact time so please don't quote me ...that he walked to the motorbike taxi stand and had a 1000 baht note or 40 baht , he apparently or should we be legal and say ... allegedly....asked the SAME group if they would take him for 40 baht as he would have to change the 1000 baht !

And PLEASE may I ...may I quote many who say they went to a particular bar and DID NOT once tip as this "jaded " situation that they never received the service they normally got? Would that be fair to say in front of a jury ?

I would be pissed off if the taxi drivers would treat me like <deleted> after several times using their service and being always very generous with my tip. 

But back home then thinking about again, they didn't do anything wrong, just being not nice.🙏

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Artisi said:

simple solution - no more tips. 

An even better solution is to make sure you always have smaller denomination bills.  

• Agree 1

60 baht for a scooter taxi, and hope it wasn't one of those short rides down a long soi, so you don't have walk it.   That's only a 20 baht fare, if that.

Tipping 40 on a 60 baht fare (66%) ... oh well.  Could ride in AC comfort for that, unless avoiding rush hour traffic.

Motobai taxis near my condo often bring me or my wife for free knowing we will pay back later or the following day. Depends upon the guys there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something was lost in translation. Either the friend was unaware that fares had gone up over time (because he was giving a large tip which masked the fare increases) or they were trying to convey they didn't have change for a 1,000 baht bill.

• Agree 1

Personally, I tip because of the level of service provided.

I don't tip, expecting them to remember me, or do me any favours in the future.

I tip because I enjoyed the service provided, for my own satisfaction, not necessarily theirs.

• Agree 1

On 5/15/2024 at 2:14 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Best not to tip. Easy to remember then.

Unless you got here yesterday, you should know that Thailand is the land of no-small-bills. 

It is your job as a whitie zillionaire -who has plenty of time on his hands- to have the appropriate change to simplify the lives of lovely, hard-working people who are working for 10 bucks a day.

Under no circumstances should said poor people be expected to subsidize you, ever.

• Sad 1