Thai Navy Agrees to Install Chinese Engine in Its New Submarine

webfact

Posted (edited)

According to the Bangkok Post the engine is not an engine but an electric generator, therefore it is still a submarine without an engine.

So I assume it will have to charge a lot of Tesla batteries that are in Tesla not sold in China. 😁

Edited by BE88
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, webfact said:

The CHD620 engine, which has not yet been used in any submarine—

It is also a Chinese Copy (under license of the German one), This is it. 

Good Luck to all those on board you'll need it. The last big truck Chinese Engine I worked on the fuel lines failed, we changed the oil from new, and whatever came out was not oil IMO it sunk in water on our test. Including all gear oil.

download(13).jpg.7c55167b785299acd50887d1e406ed65.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2

Just now, steven100 said:

so it's a Chinese made untested prototype sub-engine .....

hmmm ....   what could possibly go wrong      !   :giggle:

An Awful lot. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, thesetat said:

7 billion pumped into this purchase already and it does not even have an engine. I foresee the Thai are going to have another expensive war machine like the aircraft carrier that is a shell without money to buy what is needed to use it constructively. 

Am curious why they did not use that money to buy planes for their aircraft carrier? 

There are no planes being made that's compatible with the 'carrier' anymore only helicopters 

maybe they could have gotten the UK's Harrier when they were scrapping them years back but didn't 

as a helicopter carrier, there are now bigger and newer ships in Thai Navy that can do pretty much the same thing that probably cost less to run

2 hours ago, thesetat said:

7 billion pumped into this purchase already and it does not even have an engine. I foresee the Thai are going to have another expensive war machine like the aircraft carrier that is a shell without money to buy what is needed to use it constructively. 

Am curious why they did not use that money to buy planes for their aircraft carrier? 

Buy planes, sorry that would require the use of a minimal amount of intelligence and certainly indicates a complete lack of it. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Drake said:

It was always going to happen, no matter what. And there will be a permanent basing of Chinese "technicians" at the submarine home port. Thailand will eventually base Chinese ships just like Cambodia has started doing.

yes ... agree,   The US & Australia slipped up there with Cambodia and letting China move in ...  the same with Vietnam,  the US and Vietnam were just starting to lean towards each other and then along comes China with a suitcase full of cash which Australia & US cannot compete with.   They'll be Chinese naval bases all over south east Asia by 2030,  the only blessing is that they didn't get PNG.

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Meanwhile the UK's latest Astute Class Submarine HMS Agamemnon is Commissioned she is Nuclear powered so does not need to be refueled for 25 years  and only needs to surface for food and rearming her Tomahawk cruise Missiles and Spearfish torpedoes.

I'm sorry but I skim read your post and completely stuffed up in what I thought I saw:

Meanwhile the UK's latest AssUte Class Submarine HMS Armageddon is commissioned. She is nuclear powered so does not need to be refueled for 25 years  and only needs to surface for food and reaming. 

Her Tom Cruise Missiles and Spearfishing torpedoes? 

Specsavers here I come. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

" Skim Read " what does that mean kiwi.

10 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I'm sorry but I skim read your post and completely stuffed up in what I thought I saw:

Meanwhile the UK's latest AssUte Class Submarine HMS Armageddon is commissioned. She is nuclear powered so does not need to be refueled for 25 years  and only needs to surface for food and reaming. 

Her Tom Cruise Missiles and Spearfishing torpedoes? 

Specsavers here I come. 

Should have spelt it Re- Arming.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Navy Agrees to Install Chinese Engine in Its New Submarine

image.jpeg

Today, Thailand finalised its decision to install a Chinese-made CHD620 engine in their Chinese-built Yuan-class S26T submarine, marking a significant turn from the original plan of using a German MTU396 engine. This change comes after Germany blocked the sale as part of the European Union’s trade embargo against China.

With the delivery of the submarine now expected to be delayed by over three years, the Thai navy faces a considerable wait. The CHD620 engine, which has not yet been used in any submarine—including those in China's fleet—will be tested in Thai waters, increasing both anticipation and apprehension among military officials.

As part of the compromise, China will provide a submarine simulator and spare parts valued at 200 million baht, compensating for the 12.4 billion baht deal which has already seen a down payment of 7 billion baht from Thailand. This submarine will be Thailand’s first in over six decades, adding a layer of both historical significance and pressure.

Negotiations have been intense, held at the Ministry of Defence in Bangkok, involving representatives from the Thai side and China’s Bureau of Military Equipment & Technical Cooperation. Defence Minister Suthin Khlangsang had suggested purchasing a Chinese-built frigate instead, but the navy’s top brass insisted on maintaining the original plan for the submarine.

Former navy chief Luechai Ruddit initially pushed for the procurement of the S26T, a counterpart to the Russian-built Kilo-class submarine, preferring it over other models like a South Korean submarine and a secondhand German one. Pending future decisions, Thailand initially planned to acquire a fleet of three submarines, starting with the current troubled one.

The resolution today marks a crucial step forward, though significant challenges lie ahead in integrating and testing the new engine. The development will be closely watched by both military analysts and policymakers.

TOP Picture: S26T submarine, courtesy of China Daily

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-17

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Oh oh, and what is all about the kickbacks paid already?

Probably you can use the sun's engines as a power plant?🙏

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

If Thai's are at the helm it will probably end up in the same place as that ill-fated frigate.

Or further down.

9 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Looks like a expensive white elephant 🐘 coming up same as their aircraft carrier 

Looks like more of a prestige thing than actual requirement that is needed for defence needs 

And Thai government unab;e to say No.